1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17inch LRR Question for Current Users

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Mongiamc10, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Mongiamc10

Mongiamc10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all, I just picked up a set of CT200h wheels pretty mint for dirt cheap which I am excited about and I’ve been researching the best tire in which I would take the less MPG hit. This forum has been of huge help and excitement for me as I’ve started buying stuff for my 2015 Gen3. I know there are plenty of threads which I I have looked at and I wanted personal opinions from those who are currently running 17s with their experiences.

I wanted the Michelin Energy Savers but they do not sell them in a 215/45 but do in a 215/50. I’ve also seen that Pirelli seems to make a decent LRR tire in that size and so does Yokohama.

My question is... should I go with the 215/50 energy saver or would you guys recommend one of the other tires?... I’m not too worried about the slight speedo issue with going with a 50 if so.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 plus.

Xterra72 likes this.
  3. Mongiamc10

Mongiamc10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ahh okay I hadn’t really taken the time to look at those... I’ll look into them more. Thanks!

4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh one thing: there's US and Mex built itterations of that tire available in North America, with several variations: tread appearance (varying numbers of tread rows/gaps, and the space width between row varies to suit), wear index for a couple, maybe more. There's also a JP version, but typically only comes as OEM, on the new cars when shipped over.

Not a deal breaker, but worth reading up and being on your toes.

I'd love to see Michelin Energy Saver in 215/45R17 too, btw. :(

5. Mongiamc10

Mongiamc10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all that info...

Seriously!!! I don’t know why they don’t with how popular that size is... I may just go with the 50 on it haha

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Looking at the revs per miles stats on Tirerack, the 215/50R17 would be 2% more rev's per mile than 195/65R15. Not too bad. I wouldn't go there but your call. Costco would give you a hard time: they're sticklers for stock sizes, speed ratings, even air pressure.

It'd throw off the odo by that 2%, imposing an artificial mpg penalty of that percent.

7. Mongiamc10

Mongiamc10 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True. I have a Costco membership, but I have never bought tires from there before. Would you recommend it?
    And I actually didn't think about how the odo would affect the mpg, but thanks for pointing that out also (y)
    See what I mean... learning all the time here... haha

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've only used Costco, for the last 10~15 years, they're ok, and good price. Up here the $70 discounts at the till have morphed into shopping gift cards, not so good. I buy the tires online, then phone for install appt.

I usually am doing loose rims fwiw. Try to get weekday appt, less hectic.

Still, non stock size, they probably won't do it. The EP422 in stock size, no problem. And cheaper, and probably about same mpg, my cents.

I went with primacy mxm4 last spring, dropped mpg fwiw. Hopefully will come back, actually seem to bedoing better in 15" xice right now.