1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

17s brake software and steering system

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by austingreen, Apr 20, 2010.

1. nahtanoj

nahtanoj New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    even if it would void the warranty, i highly doubt that the 17"s put enough stress on the motors to cause any worry. throw some 20"x10" on there, i'd be worried then. when my 15" tires are worn out, i'm putting 17"s on. i will deal with any consequences that come my way, but my warranty is only good for 2 years anyway...i drive too much.

2. treet007

treet007 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually, if you put aftermarkets which can cause harm to the vehicle, warranty may not cover the vehicle. It really depends on the actual terms and conditions of the Toyota limited warranty for the Prius. So it becomes the discretion of the manufacturer since they can say that the Consumer violated the warranty. If the Toyota Service Shop put their statement on the receipt (that the 17 is not supported and can void warranty), I would be leery of continuing the use the 17ings in a risk of losing warranty coverage, partial or complete.

3. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Besides all interpretations of the act, as let's face that is what it is unless tested in court. I'd find it much more interesting to get the definitive answer on whether there really is a difference. All info is a bit old with no further info. And to me it has been proven that this info is not accurate for all worldwide regions, in the UK there is just no difference between the cars just like other car makers don't differentiate. I still find it odd why Toyota would make it dificult and expensive for themselves.

That's the key question, not the interpretation of the act.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Voiding the new vehicle warranty when a failed aftermarket part is responsible for just any warranty claim is illegal under the Act. In fact, the only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part can be proven to be responsible for an emission warranty claim (which you really don't have to worry about when it comes to aftermarket wheels).

5. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With respect nobody is saying the vehicle warranty is void ;-) the act, which having fully read it is base on European law that came in effect a very very long time ago, sure protects against tie-ins etc which is good. But actually doesn't cover ecplicitely the use of unsuitable third party parts. So be careful with the sense if "security" you give people through that advice. Not as straight forward as you suggest.

6. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I meant to say whole vehicle warranty. Fitting unsuitable 17" wheels to a 15" wheels cat won't cause the fabric tearing on the backseat to be voided out of warranty. Just the bits that are directly related to it.

7. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go find another dealer

8. Sho-Bud

Sho-Bud Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe I've read here on the forum (just before the Prius III was out), that in the very first batch of the Prius III there was a difference in powersteering motor between models with 15" wheels and 17"wheels, but after that first batch, also the models with 15" wheels would get the new brushless motor.

9. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any lawyer can tell you the language of the Act is sufficiently broad enough to cover aftermarket parts, or all the sources from googling "Magnuson-Moss Act aftermarket parts" have it all wrong. As for the unsuitability of the third party parts, that has to be proven after the fact as the direct cause of the failure, unless the warranty states in writing that the addition of a specific aftermarket part automatically voids one of the warranties. Just the service guy saying so doesn't fly, nor are you any better than them by suggesting this without any source(s) to back it up.

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately, that plan has been rescinded according to a subsequent post by Prius Team. They didn't even know at the time if it'd be a software or hardware update, but it's never materialized.

11. dejongj

dejongj Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well in the UK I have confirmed that there is no difference...Would be nice to get it confirmed for other areas as well as otherwise a lot of false/outdated information is being provided...

PS. No need for sources, just read the act and you'll see the paragraphs...But hey try it out under the conditions stated in this thread and if there is a technical difference between the two cars....