1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

185/65r15 vs 195/65r15 mileage/comfort

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Trublend, Jan 31, 2011.

1. caymandiver75

caymandiver75 Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Just ordered the Michelin Energy Saver tires from tirerack in the OEM size. I decided on this route because I reminded myself that I bought this car strictly for saving gas, hauling the family and daily commuting and not to modify it in anyway that would defeat the purpose.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may find like I did that the Prius will be much quieter with the Energy Saver's going from the Integrity. I started with 38F, 36R which was real smooth and tires ran quiet. Took them up to 42F, 40R ride was harsher as expected and noise increased slightly. Running 40F, 38R at the moment. I have about 900 miles on them so far. I repeat I have NO drop in MPG, but have seen a actual rise in MPG since I mounted the Energy Savers on our Prius.

Don't forget to use stick on weights when you balance the tires. If the TPMS light is on when you get the car back, push the button and let it set in ready mode for a few minutes. The light should then go off. It takes at least three minutes for the system to reset completely. I had that symptom and had to figure it out when I got ours redone. They probably moved the wheels around while doing the tire swap which helped to confuse the Prius TPMS system.

Ron

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How does a wider tire change speedometer reading?

195---Tire width
    65----Height of sidewall
    15----Wheel diameter

Joedia likes this.
  4. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Because 65 isn't how tall it is, it is the aspect ratio. 0.65*195 is how tall the sidewall is, so a 195 will be a bit taller than a 185. Its not taller because its wider, its taller because its wider and has the same aspect ratio.