1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured $19,995 37mpg Ford Maverick Hybrid Pickup Truck

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I learned doing a web search, even an older regular cab Ranger with a long bed was only 7' long, so the 4x8 plywood would have not sat flat on the bed with the tailgate closed. Yeah, most pickup trucks would have the wheel wells bumps too. As long as I don't have to tie down the materials and be able to close the tailgate, I am fine. I said "plywood", but I really meant inclusive of any construction material that comes in a sheet size 8'x4'. The plywood may be fine on the wheel well bumps, but sheetrock needs to be sitting flat on the floor to prevent cracking. Similarly, 8'x4' foam insulation board should also need to be flat on the floor to prevent flying away during the drive.

In this regard, I really liked our old Sienna minivan. With second-row seats removed and third-row seats stowed I can put the full 8'x4' sheet flat on the floor. The deck is lower than a regular truck bed, much easier to load and unload. A minivan is fully enclosed with no bother to tie down. Our Sienna's front console was foldable and I could put 10' lumber on the floor between two front seats extending all the way to the rear hutch. I also have hauled 12' lumbers extending from the top of the front dash. All with the hatch door fully closed.

Mendel Leisk and farmecologist like this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    This,

Unfortunately the bed can’t be long enough with 4 doors and unlike a mini van you have two walls blocking materials from extending further

There was a diesel Rabbit pickup with a 50mpg rating I would of course love that but never going to get a modern version

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When we are looking for a replacement for the Sienna minivan, I considered the Nissan NV cargo van. It could have been the most versatile and utility vehicle for my needs. But the idea was quickly shot down by my wife. LOL. We settled for a used Pathfinder Hybrid SUV, but we may consider replacing it with a Pacifica plug-in minivan in near future.

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Now I get where you're coming from, though I tend to operate the opposite way. I always want tiedowns.

If this truck had showed up just 18 months ago I'd probably already own one.

The past year has taught me that I'm doing just fine using everyone else's truck instead. UPS, USPS, lumberyard/home store, Amazon etc.... they all seem to run okay, they load and unload themselves and haven't put me to any significant extra expense.

Ovation, dbstoo, Zythryn and 4 others like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Dang @bisco, you’ve nailed it. :)

bisco likes this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Yup...our Mazda MPV was a beast of a hauler when the 2nd row seats were removed ( third row folded flat into the floor ). I loved that thing...but the damned thing rusted out ( like ALL of our Mazda vehicles did ). Gave up on Mazda and that's when I started looking into hybrids...and the rest is history. (y) BTW - The Prius V is our current hauler that replaced the MPV.

Merkey and Salamander_King like this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, you are right. I did the entire kitchen counter and sink redone without ever going to store myself. Still, for our backyard mini-farm operation, our own hauler is convenient. Amazon will not deliver straw bails to a doorstep... or do they?

I was loading my Prius Prime with 3 straw bales before we got the PathHy SUV which can fit 6 bales. Our old Sienna would have fit 10 bales. If we had a full-size pickup or trailer, I am sure we can go 20 easily.

upload_2021-6-9_9-30-58.png

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Okay you busted me there. I can only fit 2 at a time in our c. Well maybe I could do more if I committed to more cleanout afterwards- thankfully I rarely buy more than a single as my 11-hen operation just doesn't need that much.

And an admission: The past year also taught me that as much as I don't need a pickup truck, I really did need a mini garden tractor with a trailer. My neighbor sold me his old one, and bought a dump bed trailer... which was delivered 90% assembled for free in someone else's truck.

Salamander_King likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've owned pickup trucks for most of my adult life....and the periods of my life when I did not have one were very brief, and filled with 'oh crap' moments when I realized that I really REALLY missed having one.
    I've told myself in the past (and on this forum) that I can get by without a truck if I really needed to since I have a trailer......and I "can"......but I'm thinking that I'm not GOING to.
    JUST today I drove the ute to work (GMC Envoy) and realized that I would have to go back and get the pickup later when filling some gas cans and hauling off some gravel from the base of a usta-tree in our yard.. :confused:

It's not always about hauling 4x8 sized building material....sometimes you have something that you do not want to place inside a car....and even the diminutive (4.5') bed in the new Ford "not a truck" will be GREAT for that.

It's NOT gonna be less than $20k, and it's only gonna come it a crew cab (for now) without a frame, and with FWD for the juuuuuust under $22,000 base price.....and they'll probably sell a BUNCH of them! The adult car forums suggest that the REAL base price is $21,490 and I'm thinking that there "might" be a delivery fee attached to that.
    BUT....the next cheaper truck starts out at life at >$25,000 - so I predict that there's going to be a BUNCH of "me too!" competitors on the market pretty soon.

SO finding a base model pony truck with a sub-$22k price isn't going to be easy until some fleet buyers start making the blue oval company punch out a lot more of them.

#29 ETC(SS), Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    farmecologist likes this.
  10. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I agree, there are needs for out-of-cabin hauling. I like the 18" bed option, myself. Granted there are limits in the sense that it isn't built into car and thus not always available, but this hasn't really cramped my style yet.

download (1).jpeg

11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, Bobcat front loader has been on my wish list for the last 15 years. But even used one cost more than Ford Maverick Hybrid Pickup Truck. lol

12. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    And a bench seat, no carpet, 2 doors, granny manual, 2wd

Only option I might want is ac but being a Ford no options is the only fully reliable configuration

It’s extremely unfortunate such simple truck like vehicles aren’t still build

I’ve often thought of repowering my fathers Miles zx40 or getting a fully restomodded Rabbit Diesel pickup but alas too hard if you don’t have time to do all the work yourself, it’s hard to find someone willing to change a tire let alone sheet metal replacement and body work.

#32 Rmay635703, Jun 9, 2021
    bisco, Mendel Leisk and farmecologist like this.
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My first vehicle was a FORD Maverick.
    But this is "not your grandfather's Oldsmobile"...and I am a grandfather now.

37 MPG hybrid is incredible for this form factor, but we get 40 in our 2020 RAV4HV.

Interesting if FORD can match that MPG as well as Toyota can.

My bro has an old Ranger he loves the size

#33 wjtracy, Jun 9, 2021
    Prodigyplace and farmecologist like this.
  14. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Geez way to be a buzzkill ETC..haha. :whistle:

I've read from multiple sources that the $21,490 price is *with* the delivery fee.

Yeah...the Maverick isn't a 'body on frame' truck...but that's fine with me. I just want a light duty vehicle for 'homeowner' type stuff. And a vehicle that can go on dirt roads in Utah without fear of bottoming out. I'd be happy with even a little bit more clearance than the Prius has. The Prius just doesn't cut it anymore for our Utah road trips now that we want to venture a little further out.

BTW - anyone know what kind of hybrid system this will have? I know previous Ford hybrids like the Fusion had a setup similar to the Toyota HSD ( i.e. - planetary gearset based )....but I'm not sure on this. Do we have any tech info yet?

Edit...more 'official' info here : 2022 Ford® Maverick Compact Truck | Introducing the First Hybrid Pickup Truck

As expected, the base model looks pretty stripped down ( steel wheels(?), etc.. ). Not a big deal to me though.

#34 farmecologist, Jun 9, 2021
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Nothing wrong with steel rims. Dare I hope for silver, with centre caps (aka “hub” caps, in days of yore).

16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just "reserved" from the FORD site. Reserve here is not "pre-order". It just seems to connect interested buyers with a local Ford dealer. I will at least take it on a test drive when it becomes available in our area.

upload_2021-6-9_11-2-14.png

Merkey and farmecologist like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    even the dakota doean't hold 4 x 8 on the bed due to the wheel wells.

but it does have indentations for cross brace 2 x 3's, so it least the load is stable

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i forgot the mirrors and manual heat knobs :oops:

Rmay635703 likes this.
  19. farmecologist

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I priced out a base model with drop in hard bed liner and the "ford co pilot 360" and it came to :

PRICING SUMMARY
    • BASE MSRP = $19,995
    • OPTIONS & ACCESSORIES = + $915
    • DESTINATION CHARGESS = + $1,495
    • TOTAL MSRP = $22,405
    • ESTIMATED NET PRICE = $22,405
    Not bad!

I might need to buy some Ford stock. :whistle:

Edit : BTW, the hybrid system is supposed to be the same as the Ford Escape Hybrid : 2022 Ford Maverick Buyer's Guide: Reviews, Specs, Comparisons

Hmm we need some hybrid tech info here.

#39 farmecologist, Jun 9, 2021
  20. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Steel 13/14 or 15” rims is also mandatory

bisco likes this.