1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured $19,995 37mpg Ford Maverick Hybrid Pickup Truck

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Pretty sure the new Tundra will have a hybrid option. Likely a V6(maybe turbo) with the system used in the hybrid LS/LC. Which gets around 28mpg combined.

The Tacoma might get a hybrid, but I haven't heard anything about details.

It is using the same drive train as the Escape hybrid, though the motor design is improved. The SUV is rated 44 city/ 37 highway/ 41 combined. The Maverick bed will likely be a big aero penalty, thus the lower estimates.

Further as you stated
    “Ford has a….”
    If you want AWD which manufactures seem to think should double the MSRP,
    means the loss leader Maverick isn’t for you and you need to either upgrade to their much more expensive non-hybrid ecobust 4Wd or buy one of their “other” vehicles.

I don’t think Ford has any desire to mess with through the road AWD on this vehicle due to the external nature of a pickup bed and that they view AWD+ cheap as unacceptable.

They are however rumoring a Maverick PHEV which may be AWD whether you want it or not, likely big $$$$ to tie with rumored tax rebates
    [/QUOTE]The mechanical AWD for the Escape hybrid is $1500, which seems to be on the lower end of the price scale for the option. I'm hoping the Maverick will get it at a later date, but they have a history of not offering AWD on the base drive train, even when technically possible. Then again, first model years not having everything does happen.

A PHEV Maverick may have eAWD, as the Escape PHEV doesn't have it.

#101 Trollbait, Jun 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    Prodigyplace likes this.
  2. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheapest Maverick AWD $24,795 per Fords online configurator
    (additional dealer related charges may apply)

4AF3C90F-7536-49C5-9E4C-B5F1B886F6FE.jpeg

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    And AWD with the more powerful drivetrain for the Rav4 is $2125. Adding 4WD to the cheapest Tacoma is $3075, and that doesn't get you the higher performing engine. That's another $2500 more.

The starting MSRP with destination of the Maverick is just under that of the Prius c's when it was last available, without inflation. This small pick up is cheaper than a much smaller car. It sucks that AWD isn't available with the hybrid, but if Ford doesn't make money selling them, then it won't stick around.

If the hybrid does get it later, it will be around the $2000 for it, as it is with the Ecoboost.

4. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

I agree...the MSRP of the Maverick is pretty remarkable. Not just for a truck...but for *any* vehicle these days. And like I said previously, it seems to tick all the boxes with what I've been looking for. That is, a reasonable priced, hybrid, light duty, decent MPG, higher clearance vehicle that can get us into places on our road trips where our Prius can't. I find it amusing that folks are bitching already about the fact that it's a unibody. I guarantee a majority of the buyers they are targeting ( including me ) don't give a crap. And don't get me started about AWD...I have lived thru Minnesota winters my entire life and have *never* needed AWD.

At any rate, I'm not going to preorder one. I want to see some real world reviews ( and MPG numbers ) before I buy one. I suspect folks will be able to beat the EPA in non highway situations...just like they do with the Prius.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur....with the addition of the word *new.*

I've never understood the whole AWD thing either....but I grew up in Indiana.
    Remember...we have an entire generation of drivers for which a clutch is an effective anti-theft device. Many drivers who *need* AWD would be as effectively served with the simple addition of an AWD badge on the side of their car.

I *HAVE* OTOH needed 4WD at some times and in some places....just as I've needed to tow things well in excess of a half ton. I do not presently have a 4WD vehicle because the additional cost in vehicle price, fuel efficiency, and maintenance are not worth it.

I find it amusing that more folks aren't fussing about it being yet another SUV/CUV - but then the "PROJECTED" 40 MPG city rating does provide some top-cover, although it'll be a neat trick knocking down those numbers in the real world while sitting on 17" tires....with a reliable drivetrain, and a <$25,000 price tag.
    That's a lot of boxes to check.
    They're TALKING about it.
    Now...let's see if they DO it. ;)

Size DOES matter when you're in traffic in one very important regard - ride height!

For it's capabilities as a cruck, unibody construction is probably OK, and people who want something like a Ridgeline (which really is an EXCELLENT if WAAAY overpriced suburban truck) can get a maverick at the 50%-off table and enjoy the fact that the FoMoCo product will provide probably 90 percent of the capability at that 50 percent price point, while whooping heck out of the Ridgeline's 18/24/21 EPA ratings.
    While neither are RWD (Honda, being Honda, uses their 3.5l 6 banger as the only powerplant with AWD standard) the Ridgeline offers a truck-like tow rating, the ability to haul a 4x8 sheet - if you don't mind 2' sticking off the gate, and AWD on this vehicle provides modest off-road capability since the paddle-equipped tranny has 9 cogs and 280BHP to play with.
    Simply put, the Maverick is for people who live the car life that want a little more truck-like capability while Honda's product is for people living their best truck life that want something a little more car-like.

...something SUV's have been doing for decades now. ;)
    FoMoCo - something of an SUV player themselves, are simply providing an easier on-ramp.

It's a good offering.....and I'm glad that a US flagged company is getting into the game with this.
    I'm looking forward to seeing GM and Dodge's counter-battery.

If you get one, we expect a comprehensive review. :D

#105 ETC(SS), Jun 14, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    farmecologist likes this.
  6. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    To a certain extent I blame Subaru marketing for making people think they *need* AWD. But boy...I sure have to give credit to Subaru marketing...they did a darn fine job! ;)

You just describe me ( the former )...haha. (y) I wanna haul a few bags 'o mulch, plants for landscaping, etc...without getting the inside of the car dirty.

BTW - I do think Honda might be put in a difficult situation given the price of the Ridgeline. You argue that the Ridgeline and Maverick are not 'apples to apples'...which may be the case. However, knowing how the Auto media operates, they most certainly will compare the two...and I'd wager price will be a big factor in that comparison ( and I'm sure Ford took this into account with their pricing ).

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, maybe Ford just wants to lead with the price until Lordstown is lowered into its grave, then they'll come out with the "unfortunate circumstances forcing us to re-evaluate this aggressive pricing strategy."

8. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Lordstown, Rivian, Cybertruck, Bolinger, Hummer, Nikola Badger, Atlis, Hercules, Alpha, Fisker Alaska, Canoo

Literally EVery Tom Dick and Harry is trying to hock a $100000 pickup

Ford is likely making sure to be first at a reasonable price to prevent pandemonium