1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1997-2000 prius “gen zero”

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by acarapella, Jun 2, 2023.

1. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, I hope it is OK to post this year because I did not see a generation one area.

As some of you know, the Prius came out in December 1997 in Japan, and while rare, are still out there. I see plenty of 1998 models. Before I go through the trouble of importing one, I want to know my options for batteries. They had cylindrical cells that were completely different than any Prius battery here in the United States. We got generation one, but it was quite different than Japan’s generation “zero”

Any information or advice on this would be a very great value to me and others. Thank you

Drew

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    They might have been cinderellical cells but they were still nickel metal hydride the same battery technology that went in the flat plates that Panasonic makes for all the other markets I guess we'll say so you're importing this Japanese zero to where obviously you're not going to change the right hand drive situation so just enjoy your vehicle I guess here in the town I live in there's a whole bunch of Toyota and Nissan work trucks that were imported from Japan and Asia that could never be had here Not much really to it people just do it and then they drive them but I honestly have no serious information on the zero but they wouldn't have had any different battery technology especially before the generation 2 that was about the same battery technology that was being used in my Motorola micro tac star tac. Cell phones so I would imagine the battery technology would be similar We hadn't really got to the lithium and what have you yet

3. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right, probably the same chemistry, but I wonder if there is a way to put a generation one or generation two battery in it? Because if not, once the battery and it goes, and at 25 years old I’m sure it will, the car is a paperweight

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    To own and maintain a gen one, you need excellent hybrid skills and tech stream

6. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    ADMINS PLEASE DELETE

Moving this to the right place :)

7. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As some of you know, the Prius came out in December 1997 in Japan, and while rare, are still out there. I see plenty of 1998 models. Before I go through the trouble of importing one, I want to know my options for batteries. They had cylindrical cells that were completely different than any Prius battery here in the United States. We got generation one, but it was quite different than Japan’s generation “zero”

Any information or advice on this would be a very great value to me and others. Thank you

Drew

8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Gen1 modules starting in 2000, were not much different than modules in use all the way up to 2015... I say go for it...

I'd be willing to bet you could swap out the chassis for round modules, with a chassis for standard modules. But even better you could use Lithium Modules from Nexcell and Jack who runs Nexcell would likely work with you on it so he can expand his market to Prius packs prior to the year 2000.: https://projectlithium.com/products/prius-gen1-lithium-upgrade-pack-19-blocks

I actually got my next virtual meeting with Jack coming up here and will put this on our agenda and report back to this post. He may have some insight we don't yet have.

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Threads merged

11. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So that’s my first thought actually, use the generation zero computer and chassis, but custom bus tables and generation three cells.
    We don’t mind right hand drive, my wife has a right hand drive car that she loves, and we have imported dozens for enthusiasts. We sell at least 50 Prius per year at our car dealership, and we have been asking our customers for the last six months or so if they saw a great deal on the Right Hand Dr., Prius with the right hand drive bother them, and about 40% say “no”

Imagine a Prius with 35,000 miles on it that has never seen winter or hot weather for under $8000… Makes sense to me

12. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't really need custom bus bars, the existing ones will work. But Gen2 and Gen3 modules come in a pack of 28 modules whereas Gen1 and Gen0 come in a pack of I think 32 modules, or maybe its 34? Regardless, Toyota won't likely be much help selling you extra modules for Gen O that was imported, so Lithium upgrade would be most cost effective way to do it.

Of course Gen1 Prius had less reliable battery ECU / fire hazard and the motor-generator inside the transmission would short circuit, two problems that were resolved with Gen2.

A good person to talk to about this would be Professor Joe because he drives a Gen1 everyday and would vouch for what you can expect in terms of reliability. He'd also give you a great price on a rebuilt pack for it: https://2ndlifebattery.com/contact-us/

13. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey thanks! So in your second to last paragraph were you speaking of just gen1 or comparing it to gen 0?

I’ll keep this info handy! Not many gen 1 fans my circles! Seems like my game plan needs to be basically a gen 2-3 with a gen 0 computer

14. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was speaking of Gen 1... We don't know nothing about Gen 0, but expect you to educate us in coming months or years. I think you'll be very pleased if you do this!

15. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  16. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  17. acarapella

acarapella Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    my initial though (which I worked funny above) was to use basically a gen 2 or gen 1 (if i can find it) chassis and cells with custom bus bars/wiring etc to work with the Gen 0 computers and other giblets but say the heat/voltage sensors are different, or wire length/splicing adds resistance that causes issues? This could be a waste of a car...

We need to find out of the inverter or any other hard components are different because if not, maybe a gen1 ECU and wiring sway so basically the car is gen 1? I dont want to bring them over only to disappoint people. In other news, I CANT WAIT for gen2 JDMs to be legal - its so hard for me to find good ones these days, and it will only get harder. I can get 4-5 at a time from Japan with like 40-60,000 miles and perfect bodies