1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1997 Jeep Grand Cherookee 2WD Transmission Fluid Question

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by ZitterZap, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ZitterZap

ZitterZap Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I have put around 220k miles on my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee and still have the original transmission. (Automatic)
    The shift has been feeling more stiff for the last 5k miles.
    I do not plan to replace or repair the transmission as the cost will be much more than the value of the car. I just plan to drive the car till its dead.

I asked my mechanic if replacing the transmission fluid will improve anything?
    He advised against it saying something about pieces metal flowing in the fluid and draining it will damage the transmission. He also said that it might completely jam it.
    I didn't understand what he was trying to tell me. I trust him but I just wanted a second opinion on weather changing the transmission fluid will break my transmission?

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a 1996 Jeep GC 4WD with 190k miles that I traded in for the Prius during C4C. I had my transmission and differentials serviced every year by a transmission shop that drained and refilled. Never had any issues with the transmission.

I would run to find another mechanic. Anyone that tells you changing the transmission fluid will damage it is certainly not doing you any favors.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The dispersant and detergent additives are almost certainly gone with that original fluid. If you get the fluid changed, the fresh fluid will knock loose and put into suspension a lot of trash

It's not anecdotal that transmission failure has occured soon after a service due to that problem

The only way to have a reasonable chance of avoiding that problem is to find a shop with a fluid exchange machine. Do a pan drop first, clean out the pan and install a new filter/pickup tube. Refill the proper capacity and then hook up to the exchange machine

Once the exchange machine is done, and you can tell by the fluid color when it is really done, you should be ready to go. Wouldn't hurt to do a pan drop again after a 1,000 miles or so, and put in a new filter sock again

Personally, I'd just leave it alone.