1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1998 Prius Mk1 - Handbook translated into English?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Stokie, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Stokie

Stokie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    1998 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi all,
    It's good to find this forum, buried under all the later versions, I've just bought (rather cheaply) a 1998 Prius with battery problems. It has the "new" (I think it is a refurbished one that lasted 2 months) battery installed and the older one sitting loose in the boot (I think that's "trunk" for Americans).

I've been watching lots of videos on how to test and match battery cells, but none of them showed the cylindrical cells that this car has, just the long rectangular ones.

I put a charged 12v car battery into the empty space in the boot and hooked up the terminals - The ignition key got the dashboard to life and the radio going, but nothing happened when I turned the key. Any ideas?

Everything in the owner's manual was in Japanese, also the dashboard, so please can anyone shed some light on what the dashboard buttons are?

Thanks in advance.

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    The fastest way to receive help from this forum will be to snap a detailed picture of the dash symbols and others thing you would like to know.
    There are hundreds of asian participants that can share some light into your questions

Stokie likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This forum actually is for the 2001 - 2003 model year Prius.

Since your car is the original Prius science experiment that was only sold in Japan, you may find this Yahoo group better meets your needs:
    Yahoo! Groups

Stokie likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Stokie likes this.