1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1G3 Gray paint key scratch - how to solve it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mandrei83, May 30, 2009.

1. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Let's suppose someone with bad intentions come to scratch my car with a key.. what to do in this case? For example, my insurance company (for CASCO) has requested me 100EUR franchise for each incident that I have with my car, and I don't want to pay so much, considering that only the insurance costs in Romania 950EUR/yr.

There is any repair kit or something else who can help me? First, what I need to do:
    -of course, I'm not looking for a spray, to put it on the entire door for example
    -I need to cover the hole where was scratched with something which I can modelate to cover fully the scratch
    -something which needs to be applied (1G3 Gray Metallic color)

Did you previously used some of you this kind of repair kit?

2. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  3. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Matt, thanks for suggestion.. but what if the scratch is so deep, that you can see the metal which the door is made of? This kind of repair pen is not only for small scratches?

Also, I don't need one in the color of my car?:confused:

I'm asking about this, because the peoples in Romania often do this when you're parking to someone's place (without even knowing this), or just neighbors who have something with you, because you have a nice car and they've don't.

It's a stupid mentality and I have to use with it. In civilized countries this doesn't happen, but in Romania, especially Bucharest, you can expect to anything..:ban:

4. Matt Herring

Matt Herring New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For deep scratches, unless you are extremely handy, you're looking at a decent charge from the repair shop. Unless you are planning to trade/sell the car or just can't live with the scratch I'd hold off on the repair. Sounds like in your area you have several more scratches to look forward to in the future...might as well wait until you are ready to sell/trade before considering the expense of fixing a scratch every time it happens.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On my 1G3 gray Prius, I've used several things:

1. Touch Up Paint pen/brush, like the one available here: Genuine Toyota Touch-Up Paint Magnetic Gray Metallic Color Code 1G3

2. Clear Coat Paint pen.

3. That Simonize Fix It Pro Pen that Matt mentioned: Simoniz Fix It Pro Pen - Billy Mays Fix It Fixit Scratch Repair Pen , which seems to be basically a clear coat paint pen.

If I use any of the above three, I try to wax the area as soon as is reasonable, in order to smooth out the touch up.

4. Felt Tip Permanent Ink Markers like the popular in the US "Sharpie".

5. Artist Felt Tip Markers available at art supplies stores. Note however, that while these artist markers use permanent ink, they are less permanent than "Sharpies" and do not bond as well to plastic as the "Sharpies" do.

1 person likes this.
  6. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you are down to bare metal i suggest getting the panel refinished, rust will show real fast and spread not to mention eating through the metal

7. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's because of rust.. am afraid that the rain and humidity not to eat from metal, until the repair kit/pens will be shipped and will arrive to me.

I didn't see too much options for those kind of repair kits in Europe, and why not to recognize, US offers the largest numbers of repair kits/accessories and so on..

If someone will have other ideas/suggestions regarding how to solve this problem, please add them to this topic. I want to be prepared if something happen with my Prius..

8. alevinemi

alevinemi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I can buy a dupli-color scratch-fix kit made by dupli-color at Walmart. It contains sandpaper, a little bit of patching putty, primer, buffing sheet, and clearcoat.

Then, you buy a little matching touch-up paint, which can be toyota genuine or dupli-color. Instructions are included in the packet. It was intended for small scratches or dents, but may work in your situation. However, unless you are VERY good with a brush, don't expect factory-quality finish. You may be a little rough or see brushstrokes.

I have used it on smaller dings, but not a key scratch.

Total cost: about $20-$30

Dupli-Color: eStore

-->Adam

1 person likes this.
  9. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    what is g3?

10. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. Busaholic

Busaholic New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not for someone that doesn't know what they are doing but this is what a body shop would charge you an arm and a leg for. Here is what I would do.... WARNING: I take no responsibility for any damages you may cause, I'm just trying to help and save you a buck or two without switching to Geico.

1. VERY LIGHTLY wet sand the area with 2000 grit to get it to a smooth and even finish.

2. Apply Genuine Toyota touch up paint in your paint code to get a guarantee color match.

3. Apply the touch up paint till it's smooth and level with the surface of the other paint then let dry.

4. After paint has dried, wet sand again, VERY LIGHTLY till it's even with the surface then apply clear coat.

5. When clear coat has dried, VERY LIGHTLY wet sand till the clear is smooth.

6. Since your car is a dark color, pick up a product called 3M Perfect it 2 for dark colors.

7. With a rotary buffer, buff out the scratches with the 3M that were made by the wet sanding and the panel will look as good as new.

8. Polish or wax with a product of your choice.

2 people like this.
  12. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  13. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here ya go . . .

www.automotivetouchup.com

Will match your color in a bottle or pen, along with primer and clearcoat, etc.

1 person likes this.
  14. mandrei83

mandrei83 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a lot.. I've checked the website and they have the paint color of my car; hope will not be the case to buy this paint in closer future..:)

I'm preparing all the requested things to be protected if something happen with my Prius toy.. :D

15. MadHungarian

MadHungarian Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

And you might also try . . .

www.drcolorchip.com

Claim is that the process "blends" the paint for a superior result.

16. mechanic

mechanic New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    i'm not a big fan of the pen except for clear coats, for which it is great! usually i add in some clear as the touchup paint dries after i smear it flat w/ a credit card.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my wife's 08 dark grey hycam got keyed on the drivers door in a parking garage. there are people out there who are threatened by hybrids. not down to bare metal but white showing. body shop wants $3-400. u.s.:eek:

18. Jolly English Gentleman

Jolly English Gentleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should be able to get a touch up paint and laquer kit from a Toyota dealer. Cost in the UK around £25. However instead of using the applicator to put a thick splodge of paint to cover a thin scratch which would make it appear worse, if you use a fine artist's brush then you should get a better result. There are a few videos on You Tube that provide useful tips on these sort of repairs, although ultimately a respray may be the final solution if you get a lot of scratches.

19. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know this is an old thread, but I am trying to fix some scratches on my magentic gray prius of the same color code. The dealer sold me a touch up pen and said there was no clear on this car. I was shocked. I know I could test with some polishing compound and I may do that soon. Anyone know how to verify the no clear coat claim without removing paint from the car?

One of my goals is to repair the rocker area where there is a rusty dent from the previous owner. My plan is to sand/prime and then airbrush the paint from a touch up pen. Not sure how this will turn out, but if anyone has prior experience I would be interested to hear how it went.

Thanks !!!

20. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Metallic paints almost always have clear on top of them. You can tell by just looking at it if there’s clear on top of color. This video (from this point on) tells you about it:

But I don’t see why Toyota wouldn’t use clear on it.

Probably they sold you the type of paint that is designed to match (pretty close to) the factory color without having clear on top of it.

Probably would be easier just to paint a bigger area and you paint+clear (even with spray can). Whole rocker panel? Remember to put at least cavity wax inside of that rocker to slow down the rust in it so that it won’t rust trough now that paint is cracked from the inside as well. Paint the areas where you sanded to bare metal and/or used filler with stone guard paint to achieve the rippled finish that factory has down there (they used stone guard paint as well) and of course it protects against stone chips as well.

Frontporch likes this.