1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st big trip in the Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jerrymildred, May 2, 2019.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A Clark Griswald moment on a long road trip :whistle:?

Was it a red Ferrari to boot:rolleyes:.

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hate night driving especially in traffic. Then there is that truck tire in the middle of the road you didn't see in time. The interstates are so busy anymore especially around the bigger cities.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know what you mean about the big cities. The midwest, the Rockies, and the desert were incredibly relaxing. Denver, Memphis? Not so much.

@Raytheeagle, here are some eye candy examples. No Griswald moments. :LOL:

IMG_0521 copy.jpg
    Flowers along the 1.5 mile hiking trail to old Fort Bowie, AZ.

IMG_0530 copy.jpg
    Scene from cemetery along the trail to Ft. Bowie.

IMG_0581 copy.jpg
    Part of the remains of Ft. Bowie, AZ.

IMG_0697 copy.jpg
    At Mesa Verde National Park.

DSC_9250 copy.jpg
    On the way from Mesa Verde to Delta, I saw what might be a backdrop for a Coors commercial. :D

IMG_0746 copy.jpg
    On Grand Mesa, CO. It was going down the north side of this that charged the battery to 98%.

IMG_0760 copy.jpg
    Rest area on I-70 near Vail Pass. It started snowing a little as we were visiting with a couple from British Columbia. One of the fun parts was meeting strangers and getting to know their stories a little bit. BTW, no paper towels and no electricity for the air dryers. No problem, though because the water was also not working. So I washed in the snow and dried my cold hands on my jeans. LOL!!

IMG_0779 copy.jpg
    View from the front door of our hosts' home in Broomfield, CO. I went to high school here and it's where we lived when we were first married. It's wonderful to still have some of our friends from those days.

IMG_0805 copy.jpg
    On Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. This is as far as the road was opened yet. Snow was more than 10' deep along much of the road. Good news after the drought that they've been having.

IMG_0829 copy.jpg
    We stopped for milkshakes at this very cool soda fountain in Chugwater, WY as we neared our next stop at our friends' home on Iowa Flats up above Chugwater.

IMG_0951 copy.jpg
    The nasty storms always seemed to just miss us. This was from our friends' house above Chugwater. Nebraska had some tornados later that night. This looked like it might have spawned one of them.

Oh, I just remembered something that I keep forgetting to mention about the car. I was amazed at all the compliments. Almost every one we talked to complimented it. And it seemed to be a rare breed. I saw either three or four other Primes. (One might have been the same car twice.) Only one was red like ours.

benagi, TGrracie, John321 and 6 others like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks like an enjoyable trip:).

Those ominous clouds and sky I remember well as we had 2 tornadoes come within 1/4 of a mile of our house:eek:.

That prompted the move back out to the best coast though;).

Compliments on colors are something I get too (as well as the car). I may even convert some more of “Silverado Row” at the current gas prices too as they keep asking questions and are amazed at only filling up twice in 3k miles (y).

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You folks have some insane prices there. Not just for gas, either. :eek:

I love the look on people's faces when I tell them I only spent $303 on gas to drive over 6,000 miles. :LOL: I can almost hear the gears grinding as they work it out and compare it to what they'd pay in their Ford Expeditions. :ROFLMAO:

#85 jerrymildred, May 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 26, 2019
    benagi, Raytheeagle and John321 like this.
  6. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those pictures made my day. Reminded me of trips we took out west. Looks like you had a great trip!

Raytheeagle and jerrymildred like this.
  7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, John. We did have a great trip. I'm ready to do it again. :D

8. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh get em going :p.

Especially when extended family is a fair distance away and I share that it only takes 9-10 gallons to top this up compared to 20-30:eek:.

My persistence will pay off(y).

TGrracie and jerrymildred like this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks like a good trip Jerry and thanks for the pictures. We drove Trail Ridge Road about three years ago in June. It's hard to believe places like that exist. At the visitors center at around 10,000 feet I made a snowball and hit a dentist I knew in our group to give him something to tell people about when he got back home in Florida.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Came back from Maui - gas ranged from $3.89 to $5.19 in Hana.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now that's funny right there. We have friends here in the armpit of North America who have been deprived of the excitement of dealing with such amazing scenery and weather. When I was in college, I bicycled over Trail Ridge with two friends on our way from Denver to the west coast. What an adventure!!

Thanks for the cool video. I'll need to share that with my wimpy FL friends on Facebook and with my nephew who drives a snow plow in Iowa. He'll love it.

Yikes! The highest price we paid on this trip was $3.999 in New Mexico along I-10. I don't think anything else was over $3.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Still,

.05 cents/mile=nice!

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's where the good range of the Prime has helped me out. I use Gas Buddy and look at prices along my route, and plan accordingly. Can't always avoid the higher prices, but when you can't, it's much less of a sting to put in 8 gals of the high price stuff instead of 20.

From Omaha to Dayton, OH (750 miles), I need one stop between 250 and 500 miles from home to arrive with a good reserve. I found a Costco in Davenport Iowa that is right off the Interstate, great gas prices, and a good spot to grab a hotdog/pop for lunch. 300 miles from me, arrive in Dayton with lots of gas in the tank.

Earlier this month I got 500+ miles through Canada without having to pay Canadian fuel prices.

pghyndman and jerrymildred like this.
  14. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Those are good photos. I got one good one on my recent trip - Lake Superior just west of Grand Marais, MI. Taken with my phone.

2019-05-14 19.25.55.jpg

jerrymildred, benagi and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Mine darts in the wind also. And that’s just back and forth to work on the freeway . I’m going to get my alignment checked the next time I go in for service.

jb in NE likes this.
  16. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We also use Gas Buddy. That expensive one was at 5:30 AM out in the middle of "Nowhere, NM" so we figured we should get it anyway.

Always good to avoid THOSE prices. (y) Our longest tank of the trip was 604 miles with a 4,000 foot net elevation gain. Since so much of it was twisty mountain roads with lots of EV thanks to the ups and downs, we got almost 59 mpg calculated at the pump. I was starting to sweat a little because we were so far past zero range indicated. I knew in my head that it would go that far, but the first time out in the sticks where it's over 100 miles from the last gas station is a little tense. LOL! Theoretically, there was still one more gallon left in the tank. We had two other 500+ mile tanks, both well over 60 mpg and both in the Rockies. As I mentioned earlier, this car loves the mountains!! Here's the whole trip plus the fill-up the day before we left. (Which happened to be my first fill-up since the initial top-off when I got the car March 8.
    Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 9.24.29 AM.png

So, before we left, my "lifetime" mpg was close to 400. (I reset it when I got the car.) Now, it's showing 67.1. It's gonna take a while to bring that back up. :ROFLMAO:

That's a possibility. I've also noticed that if I have the tires really pumped up, like 40 psi or more, the steering is more touchy.

benagi and Prius from Dad like this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius from Dad likes this.
  18. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I saw that bolder on the news, it was a biggie.
    We got behind two dump truck that were throwing stones all over the place, i'm glad we had the clear bra installed.
    My hearing is really bad, my wife tells me to back away from them.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That sounds like a long drive!:)

20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Besides the crack in the acrylic from the roadrunner in TX and the scrapes on the fender & hood from the flying tire in CO, my Prime now also sports a boatload of stone chips. A few are on the hood, but most are on the leading edge of the roof. I can't overstate how glad I am that none of that debris cracked the windshield. The friend I mentioned with the '17 four is driving with a huge crack right now. He doesn't want to replace it right now since he said he's cracked several windshields on the highway he's been driving to see their daughter. He said when the situation causing the frequent trips on that highway is resolved, THEN he'll replace it again.

I try to take the attitude 'Mater had in Cars 2 when the British spies wanted to remove his dents.
    Scars aren't necessarily a bad thing. (But broken windshields are.) :(

padroo likes this.