1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st E-Supercharged Prius Build, WIP/doesn't work......

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by 2ZR JDM, Mar 17, 2017.

1. TheChip

TheChip Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That dyno sheet is very strange. Did you happen to see if the HV battery drained at the same time the throttle started closing? Or notice the engine's RPM changing?

2. 2ZR JDM

2ZR JDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I got no way of logging MG1 or 2 currents unless u can do it in the Torque app. But I believe I've done that WOT pull at different battery levels and noticed that closing of TB. I didnt noticed if my HV battery drained but if it did maybe a bar? My RPMs sounded the same before and after the transition.

Basically i can't notice the gradual closing of the throttle. It is still pulling normally.. I wouldn't have known this if I never checks the logs/graphs..

SM-N900A ?

3. 2ZR JDM

2ZR JDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    BTW my roommate has the same Prius except 100% bone stock. So I do have a good baseline to go on. IDK if his TB closing gradually but it has the same WOT feel.

SM-N900A ?

4. kevinwhite

kevinwhite Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The throttle closing may be normal.

From the published torque curves there is something unusual happening about 3700RPM. Maybe the valve timing is changing and the throttle has to be reduced to avoid knock. Without ejecting the inlet charge for Atkinson operation the compression would be 13:1.

Scangauge can monitor MG1 torque - I don't know if Torque can.

kevin
    [​IMG]

#44 kevinwhite, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  5. 2ZR JDM

2ZR JDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Any other suggestions fellas???

I'm planing to revert back to my cold air intake system this weekend.

iPhone ?

6. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Any updates?

7. 2ZR JDM

2ZR JDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Idk what else to try to get it working so I gave up for now.

I took the supercharger out and put my cold air intake back on.

My AEM FIC piggyback is still installed so I tuned my AF ratios to run 13.1 ish (rather than the mid 14s) under high loads. But honestly I don't even notice any performance difference in doing that...

I did test drove a Prius Prime today. Maybe I'll trade in my Prius and slap the supercharger on the Prime.

SM-N900A ?

Justdidit, TheChip and SFO like this.
  8. TheChip

TheChip Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So I guess we are still stuck at zero performance increase possible for the Prius...damn.

One last thought...has anyone considered Nitrous? Perhaps a 25 shot of NOS would be worth trying?

#48 TheChip, May 7, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2017
    offib, Justdidit and 2ZR JDM like this.
  9. 2ZR JDM

2ZR JDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was thinking that too. If a Prius was able to consistently push 25-50 shots of nitrogen oxide, wet. That would mean there something else hindering my SC setup.

Anyone else would like to put this to a test? I have a tank they can borrow locally.

SM-N900A ?

SFO, TheChip and Justdidit like this.
  10. TheChip

TheChip Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

It may have been done before...Although he's seeing no increase in HP buyt 50+ torque with it on the dyno sheet? That's still an improvement!

#50 TheChip, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    offib likes this.
  11. offib

offib Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I don't know... If a portion of the extra torque generated goes into MG1, who's to say that'll improve the output of MG2 and whatever the inverter can give to it? My thinking is that under full throttle with NOS or an SC, the added ICE output will end up with the computer sending more amps from MG1 to MG2 and less amps from the battery, right? MG2 must be capped at something.

It might reduce battery consumption over a period of time compared to stock when goosing it, but would it really shave a second off the 0-60? That is if it gets moving.

#51 offib, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    TheChip likes this.
  12. granTORRESmo

granTORRESmo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This thread is awesome! I hope you guys figure out how to increase power

SFO, offib and TheChip like this.
  13. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did you leave the throttle body after the electric supercharger? i have to read that the Toyota 2GRFE motor brake boosters do not want to see boost, shuts down like yours. Some Toyotas like the 2ZZFE and 1NZFE brake boosters can handle the boost. Wonder if you could move the throttle to before the boost if it would help?

SFO likes this.
  14. prius avelanch

prius avelanch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    hi I have read with interest your methods of developing power, I also have been looking for an edge . I decided to modify the in let valve shape . To create a part OTTO cycle by closing the valves early and using water injection and 98 octane Note only 4 of the 8 inlet valves are shaped . this create a slow exit of A/F back into the manifold

SFO and RightOnTime like this.
  15. RightOnTime

RightOnTime Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting....... how did you accomplish this?

iPhone ?

SFO likes this.
  16. TheChip

TheChip Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Alright, you can't just say that and not give us more details! Did you already do this? Just planned? What is the water injection for? Do you think 98 octane is going to be enough for the compression along with water injection? What kind of power might you see?

I'm still toying with the idea of a small nitrous system.

SFO likes this.
  17. fanplant

fanplant Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm curious if you tried running it without the 12 to 24v (nominal) converter connected? In other words make a run without the turbo battery connected to the 12v system. I understand the 12v system is limited to 100a-125a and perhaps it wasn't able to keep up with the demand and caused little "gremlins" instead.
    Thanks for documenting your work!

SFO likes this.
  18. prius avelanch

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi I have had an 2006 I tech that I modified the in let cam shape and continued on to do all 8 lobes .The car ran real sharp with more torque in the low revs so much that i had to replace tyres with very soft rubber ( Yokahama Cdrive) to stop the "dam " traction go/stop/go stop that plagues this model. So Now I have a 2009 I tech. (1800cc) . I have re ground the trailing edge of the 4 cam lobes on the 1800cc (in the car mod) see pictures of the change very slight drop off the back edge . I used a Dremal to reshape the lobes and lapped the finish up a bit . 14523 shows the 2 inlet lobes front unmodified . So it has created more (off the line) performance . but you would need to see dyno charts to confirm this . MG1 is going to balance the power, but to create more torque at a lower MG1 motor speed ,where the torque can be held , its going to be the only solution to our problem of driving it backwards. still getting 5.2 L/100km better tyres 17" Subaru wheels . find my other articles for this subject.

Attached Files:

SFO, RightOnTime, offib and 2 others like this.
  19. prius avelanch

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I have been going through the CD maintenance repair for the invert er and found an interesting sensor . The invert er MG ECU has a barometric sensor (on the printed circuit board) . this sensor is used to check the MAP air pressure sensor . it has an alarm code for a fault P0069-273 May be this is seeing a difference between the 2 sensors and closing the throttle .?

20. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Well... apparently it’s now for sale.

SFO likes this.