1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Electric Bill after getting Prime...

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, Jun 6, 2017.

1. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thank God for environmentalists!!!
    As far as prices, it's really not that bad here in my area. Anaheim really has good rates and incentives for its residents; hell, they even give us free trees! You gotta pay to play in the best place in the world. I just wish the state would do more advertising on how terrible our earthquake problem is out here!! That way we can keep paradise to ourselves!. The rain has really blessed us this year!
    20170514_173527.jpg

joachimz and Prius from Dad like this.
  2. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The Paris climate accord is just not good enough.:D

California remains well ahead of this and intends to stay a leader. Electricity/Energy prices are high, so many put up residential solar which just ends up making California even greener.

3. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    True, yet California offers no solar tax incentives. In fact, my property taxes are going to go up because the County Tax Assessor notified me that I have to declare my recently installed solar system as an improvement, which will raise my home's assessed value.

Hypocritical Governor Brown comes across as an environmentalist, yet he is the force behind the twin tunnel water project that will take away a huge amount of fresh water flowing through the Delta, causing a lot of harm to an ecosystem that is already in distress. This has been confirmed by an independent review conducted by the National Academy of Sciences.

Without NEM metering (which the power companies want to do away with), residential solar would be dead in California like what happened in Nevada and Hawaii and Arizona.

#43 MikeDee, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  4. bresna

bresna Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm happy that my local utility's rate is only $0.06/kWh. :)

5. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Our kWh rate "starts" at $0.093 (for the first 300 kWh in any given billing cycle) and then "drops" to $0.054.

BUT... silly dude that I am :confused:, I think about it like this: TOTAL amount due divided by kWh usage equals "actual" cost / kWh. As an example, our last bill came to $85.83 for 643 kWh usage... or $0.133 / kWh. It will be interesting (to say the least) to see how all this (each bill's "fine print") changes once we get our solar installed / up'n'running (which will probably be no later than mid-September)....

6. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That's how I calculate my cost. So with your $0.133/kWh x 6.3 kWh/charge your cost per charge is about $0.838. Until you get your solar.:)

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Wouldn't you hit 300 kWh in a month even without your car charging? If that is the case it may not be fair to consider the car charging cost as a fraction of the whole. May be more accurate to use the cheaper tier.

8. BlacksmithTB

BlacksmithTB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I will have to see how it plays out over the whole year - I have 4.8kW of solar on my roof, and my house is so efficient that I have conssitently been giving power back to the grid, since I can't roll credit over from one year to the next (in Oregon, so I make most of my power from June to Sept). Right now charging a couple of times a week I am still net positive, but in the winter that isn't true at all. Still, I'm optimistic (and I ride my bike a lot...).

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Interesting, under President Carter I worked with a special electric group persuing solar, electric vehicles. Of course the batteries at that time were lead and really inefficient. Required a insane amount of maintenance, basically checking for bad or low charged cells, the Motor Pool wasn't up to this level of maintenance. The person wiring up the charger did not even have a multi-meter. I had thought the AF might be more sensible on
    EV charging now, bring the question up to base HQ. They may agree.

10. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only certain areas, SF, LA. I'm using TOU thru SMUD, .075 for 1 Kwhr, my small solar array puts out 10- 12 Kwhrs per day. I only pay the monthly basic service charge now $20.00 I expect to have a credit by Oct ( solar panels birthday) Unless Summer AC wipes me out. So far, it looks like Summers been CX.
    As for DMV I agree CAs the worst. CA Government and Jerry Brown thinks every bodies RICH.

11. Lithium MPG

Lithium MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    12 cents kwh is living the dream! SCE is 19 cent per kwh in tier 1 here in the Inland Empire

12. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ouch! Yeah I noticed that Anaheim Utilities charges less than many. Our tier 2 jumps to $0.197 from the tier 1 of $0.12, after 310 KW, unless you have a medical condition requiring A/C.

Lithium MPG likes this.
  13. HPrimeAdvanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It appears that I'm a lying sack.... Either that, or I'm misinformed. In spite of the public (pubic?) humiliation I must correct my earlier statements vis a vis the electric rates charged here in Anaheim. . It appears that I do pay $0.12 1st tier, to 540 KW, then $0.19 thereafter for summer usage. However this is only because I've been declared physically decrepit by my cardiologist, and needful of A/C to stay relatively healthy, here in toasty Anaheim (we are expecting 100 degrees or so this weekend, and it ain't even summer yet!!), so A/C is vital. .
    Sorry for my ignorance and faut pas!!
    I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy!!

Andyprius1, Bri-n-TX and Lithium MPG like this.
  14. Riversong

Riversong Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    6 cents per kWh where I am!

Lithium MPG and Prius from Dad like this.
  15. Son of Gloin

Son of Gloin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hmmm... I'm strongly leaning toward disagreeing with you when you say: "May be more accurate to use the cheaper tier." (The $0.054 / kWh as opposed to $0.093 / kWh). That's because that $0.054 / kWh doesn't come into play during any given month (billing cycle) until AFTER the first 300 kWh for that month have been "consumed". SO... since I'll probably be charging the car every-other day or so throughout the billing cycle, roughly half of these car-charging cycles will be costing me the $0.093 / kWh. I'd rather estimate the charging costs toward the "high side" (TOTAL bill amount divided by TOTAL kWh usage) than strive for absolute accuracy.

Xterra72 and Prius from Dad like this.
  16. Prius from Dad

Prius from Dad Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I totally agree. I charge about 24 times a month and from my bill I can't tell when I charged. So from this month's bill $145.50 / 997 kWh = $0.1459. and $0.1459 x 6.3 kWh per charge = $0.919 per charge for me.

upload_2017-6-16_17-31-30.png

17. Nancy S

Nancy S Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    .06 KWh between 11pm and 5 am is the best it gets if you are part of the EV program here for SRP(Salt River Project) Co. Between our Prime, Leaf our 3 A/C units, pool pump and expected highs next week of 120 degrees, I expect something's going to either blow or melt! still I bet the monthly bill won't be over $400:cool:.

18. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    How many kWh's did you average in a month before you started charging a Plug In? Or, put a different way, how many kWh's do you currently use if you don't count your Plug In amounts?

Son of Gloin likes this.
  19. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (faux pas)

20. Ducky

Ducky Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    For both your supply and your delivery charges?! That's incredible! Mine:
    Supply charge: .09432/kwh
    Delivery charges -
    Distribution charge: .06236/kwh
    Transition charge: .00054/kwh
    Transmission charge: .03056/kwh
    Energy efficiency charge: .02083/kwh
    Renewable energy charge: .0005/kwh

Total: .2091/kwh And we're only a couple of cents above our lowest cost of the past few years. It'll get worse when winter returns.

If I've done my math right, it works out to $1.33 per full EV 6.3 kwh charge. If that takes me 25 miles, that's 5.3 cents per mile. Typical ICE compact sedan getting 30 MPG is paying 7.7 cents per mile right now (we're at $2.31/gal), so at least I'm not that, but hybrid engine getting 54 mpg runs at 4.3 cents per mile. I run in EV mode as much as I can to reduce emissions, but I sure wish my short-term financial incentive better aligned with the long-term societal one... I am green with envy at the degree to which your incentives do!