1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st fill-up confusion

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by petteri, Apr 23, 2004.

1. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

I got my Prius from the dealer in December with 16 miles on the odo. I had a full tank of gas (or at least that's what I think). However my first fill up came just at just 275 miles on the odo. I was able to put in about 9.5 gallons of gas, with no topping off. This has me a bit confused. Could the milage have really been that bad for the first tank? Or did the dealer not really fill up the tank all the way? The guage did read full at pick up (I don't know if it quickly dropped off when I stated for home, I was too busy trying to figure out how to turn off the nav. lady who was left on by an overexcited dealer!)

My other fill-ups have been for normal with a range before fill up around 390 miles. Avg. around 46 mpg.

2. jasond

jasond New Member

And you're worrying about this 4 months later? :)

Obviously it would be great to know what the displayed mpg was for that first tank. But either you drove really poorly for the first few miles (getting under 30 mpg, which I doubt is even possible), or the dealer short-changed you by a few gallons. I vote for the latter.

Since it's been normal since then, I can't see that this is something to be concerned about...

3. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yeah, I'm a bit slow. :) Anyway I think the readout was around 44 MPG, I have it written down but my fuel log is in the car. The only reason I'm still think about it is that I feel that it's dragging down my lifetime MPG!

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Petteri, what I did was to not log the first couple of tanks. This gave me the opportunity to get a fell for filling up the tank correctly with the bladder. Even at that, you will notice as the seasons change, that your capacity will be affected by the temps. This will still show in your fuel mileage logs. Over time, the figures will average out.