1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Gen Plug-in or a Prime?!?!

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mhye01, Jul 19, 2017.

1. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    So I asked the below question in the prime thread and then realized that obviously most prime owners would recommend the prime over the 1st gen so I figured I'd ask here in order to get the best of both sides...

....I'm currently in the market for a new car and looking to get either a certified 1st gen plugin or a prime...what do you guys think / recommend? If you have a prime what do you like or hate about it? If you have a 1st gen what do you think or hate about it? the price difference after rebates and tax credits is going to be about 7k

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seriously?

3. Potorap

Potorap Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    My opinion is pick the Prime. Ask yourself how much you want to spend? Why would you buy a PIP?

4. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Luv my PIP ... Buy a Prime

5. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have owned both. The Plugin is like a super Prius, in that it gets better mileage. My driving was 80 MPG for 70,000 miles. It has more cargo space, and the bed with back seats down is flatter. It also can carry 5 people. For me, a driver who respects speed limits, it drives about the same as the Prime, and is about as quiet. Tame driving is needed for EV, about 10-12 miles per charge. The Plugin will have more battery degregation than the newer Prime. This will mean that over time, EV miles will slowly decrease and that would cause MPG to also decrease, but look at the high value it starts with. For me it would never go below the ICE/hybrid 50 MPG. Battery warranty is long, especially in CA, but on paper would only cover degradation so bad the car wouldn't run as a normal Prius hybrid. (I think the Prime warranty is the same)

The Prime is also a great car, but I have only driven it 2500 miles. 135 MPG, and a real EV experience for about 30+ miles on a full charge. I have the advanced Prime, and the big screen, better navigation and multiple safety features make it a much better car, especially on long trips, than my basic Plugins. I built a board that fits between the cargo area and the back of the front seat (with the back passenger side seat down) so I can have a flat bed to rest in when camping or on a long trip by myself.

My wife drives my latest Plugin (2015) and I drive the Prime (2017). We have extra solar at a main home and a vacation home 60 miles apart, and regularly plug in at our homes, but never any place else. We are very happy with our vehicles.

Data Daedalus and Lithium MPG like this.
  6. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What are you buying the car for? If its purely for commuting/carpool access and you dont anticipate plugging in that often, then PiP might work for you while saving a wad of cash. The added efficiency on gas of the Prime would never make up for the difference in cost (which, I'll just say is like $10,000).

If you plan to plug-in and like the idea of driving on electricity, then definitely go Prime. If you like the latest and greatest tech in the car, go Prime.

Lithium MPG likes this.
  7. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    My main reason is for carpool access, not sure how much the ev miles really mean to me since i drive close to 100 miles a day...I spend a few hours a day in rush hour traffic on some of the worst freeways in the nation and that would save me so much time. I do like how the prime has the massive screen but also like the way the android units on the 1st gens look.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In the Prime thread you said you wanted a 2017 Prius or a Prime. Did you decide against the 2017 Prius?
    The 1st Gen plugin is no longer manufactured.

9. mhye01

mhye01 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    You might have my post mixed with someone else...for me its either between a Certified Pre-Owned 1st gen plugin or a new prime

10. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry, you are correct. I confused you with another new user.

My apologies.

Back in topic I would recommend the Prime if you can reasonably afford it. My son has a Prius v and I have a Gen 4 Liftback. I prefer the Gen 4 mileage and standard safety features.

11. hackenfort

hackenfort Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was coming out of a model "C" (Great no problem car) but it was a 2012 with a lot of miles and time for a new car.

I look at the new offerings and just didn't do much for me. Then I thought lets see what a nice low miles Gen 3 would be. I compiled a list of all Gen 3 withing a 100 miles, to my shock the Plug in were about the same price as stds, so thats why I picked up a Pip over a Prime.

Fellow near me has a Prime, while I'd like the extra battery/miles I just haven't warmed up to the visual yet.

12. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What part of the visual do you need to warm up to?
    I personally still hate the big black grills that are appearing on a majority of Toyota & Lexus vehicles. I was relieved it is not on the Gen 4 Prius.

13. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For carpool access, I would get a Prime. Current access will expire Jan, 2019, and there are some influential people who don't want the PIP in any extension bill because of its short EV range.

14. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're not going to plug-in, then personally, I'd find it kind of tough to spend the extra money on a new Prime. In fact, if it were me, I'd probably settle for a PiP and use the extra money on like a used S2000 :)

The Android head units for the Gen3 are pretty cool, esp if you're an Android user. But still much better than the stock head unit, simply because you'd get to use Waze vs the factory nav. But for a commuter car, I think the PiP's HU is fine.. it streams over BT.. plays MP3s off a CD.. has a USB port. Not much more I would need, personally.

But CraigCSJ has a point. If they do extend the green stickers, I guess there are people talking about excluding the PiP. But I kind of have a hard time believing they will extend the green sticker at all (I do think they will extend the white stickers though). But I havent researched this at all. However, if it appears likely they will extend it and exclude the PiP, then you definitely need to go Prime.

Lithium MPG likes this.
  15. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I didnt consider Prime or any new vehicle recently. I am able to snag 2013 PiP with 27K miles for $14K, got $500 PG&E rebate(first owner/lease didnt apply for this rebate) and also got HOV stickers for $27). I mostly run on gas, randomly charge the EV part as I didnt find it too economical to do that when I need to pay for charging). On gas, I usually get 47MPG. Overall, I find my PiP is a good return on the investment.
    Coming to the Prime option, I dont want to stick lot of $$ into an item which adds a lesser value compared to the $$ on it.
    I would suggest you to consider what are your needs and what amount you need to spend on it. Dont fall for the rebates etc.. it should make sense for your needs all together.

16. Lithium MPG

Lithium MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when we got our 2013 PiP (in jan 2017) it had one owner.. and it was CPO with under 24k miles on it.. our battery still holds a full charge.. and we made extensive use of rebates (yes there are many even for used) and ended up gettn the car for under 10 grand. I like it so much it makes me want a Prime.. but I like it so much it also makes me yearn for a Bolt or a Model 3.

fermion and Tracksyde like this.
  17. SlidingBike

SlidingBike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting. What are the rebates that you have gotten? Can you give details? I guess I can be benefited as well.
    BTW, did you mean that you have paid $10,000.00 for your car?

18. Lithium MPG

Lithium MPG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we did the replace your ride program were we traded in a 98 accord. CA administers a fund that provides money for high MPG cars, more for hybrids, more for plug in and more for EV. It is a result of a judgement against the oil companies for charging CA for summer blends that were not actually summer blends. There is also the plus up incentive + utility rebate and there is a rebate for a at home level 2 charger. After it was all said and done we actually had to pay about 8,000 on a 18,000 dollar PiP. It takes some time and effort but it was worth it.

Tracksyde and Prodigyplace like this.
  19. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just sold my PIP. I loved the car and it served all our needs, but wanted to go all electric given the great deals right now. For me, the PIP is a better choice over a Prime given:

1) Less initial investment for the same carpool access. I don't think the PIP's will be excluded in 2019 for any extension if an extension occurs, given that a new set of stickers would have to be issued. The State is more likely to cancel all green stickers entirely.
    2) 5 person seating capacity.
    3) Shorter length to fit into smaller SF on-street parking spaces.
    4) My subjective preference for the Gen 3 exterior styling over Gen 4.

20. yazyazoo

yazyazoo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

How would CA distinguish between which gets HOV beyond 2019 since both the Prime and PIP get green stickers? Will police officers need to keep records of which models with green stickers get access beyone 2019? Wouldn't it suck if the Prime is bought then loses carpool privilieges in 2019. They only get like 1.5 years of carpool access.