1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st Gen valve cover gasket replasment

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ArcticDragon, Jun 13, 2019.

1. ArcticDragon

ArcticDragon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have a 2002 prius i need to replace the valve cover gasket on and i just need to know what the best way to do it is i have not found any videos on it or at least not on the 1st gen prius. can someone please help.. by the looks of things i have to remove everything including the wipers and the black panel that is there between hood and windshield. please if there is an easier way or someone has a video that shows a better way i am up for all the help i can get... thank you All

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it would definitely help to remove the wipers, black plastic cover, and the sheet metal tray that the windshield wiper motor sits in. However that really is not a big deal, will take about 15 minutes, and dramatically improves your access to the engine valve cover.

You will need to use a little squirt of Toyota black FIPG (form in place gasket) sealant at the front of the engine (facing the passenger fender) where the front cover, head, and valve cover meet.

I suggest you replace the PCV valve while you have the valve cover off.