1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by andreyco, Apr 1, 2013.

1. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I changed my oil and filter at 700 miles. The reason is that not all metal debris is caught by the filter. The crank sloshes oil around the lower end and a portion of this oil may never see a filter. I do plan on keeping this Prius a long time.

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Bill, you should know better. I have learned that discussing oil on any car forum usually becomes contentious, so take my advice or not, it really doesn't matter to me. I just try to pass on what I've learned over my more than thirty years chasing sparks and turning wrenches for a living quite successfully. andrey, it's your car, your choice.

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oil filters are fairly ineffective on particles smaller than 10-15 microns. Particles as small s 2 microns contribute to wear and a new engine has a lot more of those particles.

That said, whether you would see a difference in engine life/performance in under 200k miles is another question. I used to do the first change at 600 miles but have gone the factory recommended distance before the first change on my last two new cars. I still think it's better to do an early change, but not enough better that I bother with it.

I have cut open a lot of used oil filters and unless there was a mechanical engine failure never seen one that looked like it was loaded with contaminants enough to be concerned about it. The only failed filters I have seen were a couple of unused Frams that weren't glued properly and had loose end caps on the filter element.

4. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The whole point was really if the recommended first service interval is too long. If so, has anyone seen issues and evidence. An oil analysis is the only thing missing now.

5. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Frodo, you are right again.
    I know that I would change it around 500 miles on a brand new car, and have.
    You don't need an oil analysis to see the 'Sparkles in the Sunlight' from that first change.
    I'm just questioning what is the 'Norm'. You know,, stirring it up,:rolleyes:

And as the SFcyclist says, an early oil analysis is needed to see what exactly is in that first drain.
    As I said, No opinions needed.
    And as xs650 says, oil filters only go so small and the particles that get through cause wear.

New topic, but this thread is a good place to start: Amswayoil Bypass Oil Filter Systems.
    Claims to "• Remove Particles Less Than One Micron".
    Look at that oil filter cap on this link, look familiar?

AMSOIL Ford 7.3L PowerStroke Oil Bypass Unit

If someone could fabricate one like this for the Gen3 with a threaded hole in the center for a banjo fitting we could have a way to add this to a Prius. The 1/4" polyflo tubing return line would go to a tapped hole in the valve cover or a custom made oil fill cap !! This system can also Tee in at the oil pressure switch,,, where ever that is???
    I had this system on my TDI. Took it off before selling and still have it. I was going to leave the filter on it until I saw no more return flow.
    The filters are expensive but there is no reason to change it 'every 60k miles'.

Any thoughts or industrious entrepreneurs out there?

6. andreyco

andreyco Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You hit the nail on the head here. I have a sticker that says come for service at 5005 miles (or July something). If I bring the car in early do you think they will still change my oil for free under the "2 year/25k miles service" thing?

7. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    They are not obligated to change the oil/filter free at 5,000. It's just rotate the wheels and do a multi-point inspection every 5,000. At 10,000 and 20,000 they change the oil and filter as well. If you as real nice at the first 5K, they may do it FREE if you explain that you always change it early on a new car. Mine did, but it's they prerogative.