1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1st trip at interstate speeds.

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by NinnJinn, Jan 22, 2013.

1. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After 6 months My wife and I found a day with no kids, no work schedules, no nothing... So we had a "Date day" lol

We decided to take a 70 mile trip to Evansville Indiana and take advantage of I-69 section that was opened a week before Thanksgiving. As soon as we hit I-69, I hit the reset button on the MDF, 60 miles running South and CC set at 73mph we averaged 38.8mpg I didn't think that was too bad considering it was 17 degrees outside.

Ran around downtown30-40mph with the car never going into EV mode except while stopped at 2 of the gazillion stop lights.

On the trip home, set the CC for 73 Temp 19. 3miles into the interstate check engine light comes on, Wife starts freaking out, But no "triangle of death" so I said "lets keep moving til she dies"
    I didn't notice any change in the car and drove it home. I forgot to reset the MDF when we got ready to hit the interstate to come home but overall, we drove a total of 170 miles.

120miles at a steady 73mph I-69
    20 miles at around 53-58mph state highway
    30 miles at 30-45mph stop and go

Finished the trip with a 40.2MPG average with temps ranging from 17-19 degrees

Got home pulled the 4 codes (in order)

P0420- Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

P0300- Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected.

P0302- Cylinder 2 Two Misfire Detected.

P0420- Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

I googled what could cause these codes and one of the causes was blaming the other error code.

I guess I am lucky enough to live in a state that does not do emissions testing. So if it is the Catalytic converter, Unless it really causes the car to run horrible, it will probably never get replaced.

I am in the process of getting new spark plugs, so we will see if that helps any.

By the way, car rolled over to 160,000 miles on the way home!

But more importantly IMO, for the first time in months, my wife let her hair down so to speak and we had the most fun in over 2yrs! I guess you really don't know how much work can take from you until you get a break......

usnavystgc likes this.
  2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Glad you had a good trip. If your grill isn't blocked, this is the weather for it. Seeing your lifetime makes me feel worse.