1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2,800 to change Prius Gen II Computers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tabbs, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Tabbs

Tabbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello, I need some advice quick please! I got codes P3030 and P0A1F and sent it to the dealer bc it wouldn't drive. They told me that they need to replace the entire Prius computers. Does 2 grand sound right? He also told me that there was a lot of corrosion on the bus bars, but cleaning that probably wouldn't fix the problem. I wanted him to try to clean the bars first, but he told me that cleaning the heavy corrosion wouldn't solve the issue. He is not getting any voltage readings from the HV, which lead him to believe that there is an issue with the computer instead. he wants about $2,800. Does that sound right? This is my first car and I'm not entirely sure. They are the only hybrid repair certified shop on island.

Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no it doesn't sound right, slow down

dig4dirt likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how much is your car worth?

how many miles on her?

4. Tabi

Tabi New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    101,000 miles. I bought it for $3,900. Gen II 2006

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Toyota’s Repair Manual (more info), in the procedure for diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0AFA (formerly P3030), does say that if DTC P0A1F is also output, the battery ECU (electronic control unit) should be replaced. This is the only computer module so mentioned in the procedures for either DTC.

The battery ECU has Toyota part number 89890-47092, and its list price is $954.98, but a dealer near me sells them online for about $650, plus shipping and tax. To replace it, one edition of Toyota’s Flat Rate Manual allows 0.8 labor hours (operation number 890011; NHW20 series). This repair does require the technician to use insulated gloves and follow the precautions against electric shock described in Toyota’s manual, but it doesn’t require any specialized equipment, and an independent shop could do it.

Despite what’s in the manual, I think it would be reasonable do at least the other checks in the P0AFA procedure, in case the problem is really just a loose connector or defective no. 2 frame wire (82165-47040; $79.24), before buying a $650 part for a 14-year-old car. You could ask if these have already been done.

Mendel Leisk, scona and dig4dirt like this.
  6. Tabbs

Tabbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you so much for the info! They called me and told me that there was a piece they found near the HV battery that was toast and that may have been the problem. He didn't tell me which part it was, though. I'm hoping it's one of the cheaper parts that you described that's the issue. I'll post back here with updates.

Thanks!

Elektroingenieur and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

Tabi likes this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    This sounds like corrosion is also possibly inside the HV battery ECU connector or one of the tiny pins inside this connector has burnt out. This is a somewhat common issue on original batteries/ecu's. Search for similar threads as there have been some with how-to-fix information.

GOOD LUCK!

Tabi likes this.