1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 AF sensors, Code P2237, and still the check engine light is on...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rere1967, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    10 days ago the CEL illuminated in my 2008 Touring. I took it to our usual mechanic, he checked the code, and it came up with P2237, which he said indicated that the Oxygen sensor needed replacement. Picked it up that afternoon, and just as I pulled out of the parking lot, it came on again. Not fixed! He cleared & checked the codes again and ordered a second sensor, thinking the first was bad, too. Fixed, he said! Same thing. Started it up, and on came the light. So....he refunded my money, put the original sensor back in, and suggested I go to the dealer. Ugh. Any thoughts? I didn't see this particular issue when I searched the forums, but if it's out there, if someone would just direct me to the proper thread, I'd appreciate it. I want to have some knowledge when I speak to the service guy at the dealer.

Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do not believe that P2237 is a valid DTC. Valid DTC associated with the air/fuel ratio sensor would be P2238, P2239, P2252, and P2253.

In any event, if one of the valid DTC is logged, the potential problem areas include:

Open or short in A/F sensor circuit
    A/F sensor
    A/F sensor heater
    EFI M relay
    A/F sensor heater and relay circuit
    ECM

3. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    P2237 is an AF code for BANK 1 SENSOR 1.
    Here's some info. Check the fuse too. The DTC sets when the ECM detects an open between AF - and AF+

Attached Files:

4. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you. Yes, the receipt says Bank 1, Sensor 1. Where would I find the fuse?

5. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you, he did mention something about the relay, but wasn't able to fix it for some reason. The code is definitely P2237--he showed me. I will see if the dealer concurs with one of these possibilities. Hopefully, this won't be too expensive!

6. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Was it a Toyota AF Sensor ? Or some junk from the local parts store :eek:

7. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Both were from Toyota. Looks like it must be some other component of the system--wire, relay, fuse...

8. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Update: I live in Northern VA, so I took it to the closest dealer. Sigh. Told the guy who made the appointment and the guy who checked it in what had already transpired (oxygen sensor replaced twice, light still on, must be relay, wire, fuse, something else). When the service guy finally called me at 7 pm ( I left the car at 8 am) he said he wanted to replace the oxygen sensor. Why am I surprised? When I told him the story, he said it was the first he'd heard of it. No one had related what I told them to him. Of course not. But he still wants to replace it and see for himself. Fine. Two more days pass, and they replace the sensor, clear the code, and the CEL comes back on. Back at the beginning again. They call and want us to authorize 2 hours of labor (at $100 an hour) to try to figure out what's wrong. Seriously? I want to scream. Instead, I let my husband deal with them, and he agrees to the 2 hours, but I tell him I am NOT paying for the oxygen sensor. They can take it back out. You would think in the DC metro area there would be someone who could work on my car other than the dealer, but I can't seem to find anyone. Service at The dealer is the WORST. Meanwhile, I have no car and I have to get the emissions inspection next month or I'd just walk.

9. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    After 4 days of looking for the problem now The dealer wants to replace the wiring harness at a cost of $1800, plus the $215 we've already racked up in labor costs to try to find the problem. Fix it or not?

10. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When the dealer says "Replace the wiring harness" that means that they aren't sure where the problem is. It might be because there is some very small, localized damage to the wiring which could be from rodent chewing, or chafing against the frame. To find such a location is an uncertainty in a money making business environment, so they just replace the entire harness and hope for the best.

If it were me, as a DIY sort of owner, I would start looking at all the wiring from the O2 sensors forward to determine if something was visually apparent. If such was found, the fix might be as easy as a couple of wire crimp connectors. But I would also be totally sure that their conclusion was justified.

Perhaps your original mechanic would be open to such a search.

11. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thank you. Not a DIY-er unfortunately! The dealer did admit that it was likely only one wire, but said it would cost more to trouble-shoot each wire in terms of labor ($107/hr) than to just go ahead & replace the entire entire harness. Just seems expensive for wires... Maybe I will call our usual mechanic & see what he thinks. Thanks again.

12. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Update: Itell the dealer to just put it back together. I don't want to spend $2000 for the wiring harness without a second opinion (on the price mainly!). Picked up the car Thursday night, after some heated discussion about the charge. It ran fine and the light was off. Drove about 35 miles, still no light. I'm wary, but happy. The next morning I get in and push the button, and every warning light known to man comes on...red triangle, car with exclamation point, circle with exclamation point, check engine, and I don't know what else. Car starts briefly, but stalls if I try to put it in gear and move forward or back. The battery indicator shows it's drained, just a purple line. I call my regular mechanic who says it sounds like the battery, which should still be under warranty, so try to jump it and take it to the other dealer in the area. I call for roadside assistance. They try for 45 minutes to jump it, but it won't start. I have it towed to the dealer, give them the synopsis of the past two weeks events, and they check it out and call me with a diagnosis of the ECM. $1300. They say this will fix the prior issue, as well, no wiring harness. I know the ECM was one possibility from Parick Wong's reply, so does this sound like a reasonable diagnosis?

13. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If they replace it and it's not fixed, then they need to remove it and you should owe nothing.
    It's easy to check the monitored circuit. It's not voodoo magic. I would go with his diag. as long as
    they understand if this isn't the fix, they need to remove the new PCM at no charge.

I hate guesswork diagnostics. The dealers techs should have the ability to confirm the problem
    without guessing. If they guess wrong, it's on them to cover it.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes. What is the odometer reading on your car; is the ECM still covered under warranty? If not, you might ask the dealer whether they are willing to install a used unit because you are concerned about the repair cost.

If yes, ask for the ECM part number, then look for a used unit on eBay or your local salvage yards.

If the dealer is not willing to install a used unit, try to find an independent specializing in Toyotas in your area, who would be willing to replace the ECM. This is not a big deal; the ECM is located behind the glove compartment.

15. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Used ECM's aren't worth the price difference, IMO. I see people trying to buy used ECM's to replace a damaged unit only to cause more problems or the replacement ECM has something else wrong with it and now you paid the money to to have it programed. It's a waste of time and it has no warranty. Buy a NEW unit and do the job right the first time.

All ECM's are not the same, as many people think. It's not a plug and play replacement.
    The ECM also needs to be programed to the vehicle it's being installed in. I program ECM's
    for indy shops . I charge per job and there isn't any guarantee it will work. A used ECM
    is a leap of faith and if it's a bad unit, you're wasting time and money and will end up buying
    a new one and paying to have it programed too. Most dealers won't program a used ECM.

16. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

17. Rere1967

Rere1967 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No, they won't install a used one & I am not under warranty (2008 with 90,000 miles). My regular mechanic said it wouldn't be much difference in price if he did the job ( with a new part), and since it's not driveable, that would involve another tow. Not sure I have it in me to deal with that. Geico sent the Three Stooges out fir tge first tow. Yikes! Thanks for the advice, though. I appreciate it!

18. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disagree with your assertion with regards to the Prius 2G engine control module. However I would agree that the immobilizer ECU (which we are not discussing here) does need to be programmed if it were to be replaced.
    Its up to you whether you want to spend $1,300 on a new unit, or try a used ECM (for example, selling at $47 plus shipping) plus a couple of labor hours to have the dashboard trim and passenger SRS airbag removed for access to the ECM.

Further, if you can talk your husband into doing the job himself to save the labor charge, repair manual info can be found at techinfo.toyota.com

You will see that the procedure does not require any programming of the newly-installed ECM.

Finally, if you are determined to install a new ECM, you can buy it for $550 plus shipping here. MSRP is $733. Note that the ECM remains unchanged since November 2005:
    2008 TOYOTA PRIUS Parts - AutoNation Toyota Gulf Freeway Parts

Good luck.

19. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

So you think you can just install the ECM and it's a done deal ?? NOT gonna happen, I guarantee it.

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OK, please provide a high-level understanding of what you would do to program the Prius 2G ECM.