1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 cylinder mode added to engines

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Troy Heagy, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    20% fuel savings..... so if the car normally gets 40mpg on the highway, it will now get "upto" 48mpg.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Is that their example or one that you made up ? I seriously doubt that 2 cylinders would cut it at "normal" highway speeds. Around 30 in town, sure; at 50, maybe; at 70 or more, no way. Oh, and while this method of implemantation might be new, an engine with true VVT can also effectively shut down one or more cylinders if it's programmed to do that. For some reason it doesn't seem to have caught on much; don't know why.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How much power does it take to simply cruise at 70mph, 30hp? This engine can produce in excess of 100hp. It probably can enter 2 cylinder mode more readily than the Civic VX entered lean burn.

The mean reason, I believe, that cylinder deactivation hasn't been used in a 4 cylinder, despite being used for years in 6 and 8 cylinders, has to do with NVH. If it ran too rough on 2 cylindcers, no one would want it.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Even a three cylinder runs rough. Anyone remember the three cylinder Geo Metro made by Suzuki?

5. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe I can retro fit my lawn mower engine into my Prius.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The range extender on a the A1 E-tron concept had 250cc of displacement. A 6hp walk behind lawn mower is around half that. The rotary configuration Audi used also produces more power per displacement than a piston engine.

7. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It depends on aero drag and the terrain but I doubt that 30 HP would be enough at 70 or above.
    And it seems lately like 70 is not an upper limit but a lower one.

8. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The lower end of power output for this engine is 122hp(performance models get up to 180). On 2 cylinders, the output will be less than half that.

But this was revealed in 2012, is already available in Europe. and should be in the US soon to answer our questions on it.