1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured 2 different experiences

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by markabele, Jun 15, 2017.

1. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Read 2 different articles today about an hour apart that really highlight the differences in EV's today. When you buy an EV (just like when you buy a phone or computer), you aren't only buying the car itself, but you are buying into an ecosystem/charging system.

The first article was about a guy that had to drive his Bolt back from where he bought it to his home in St. Louis 800 miles away. The main gist was how he had to do a ton of planning, sometimes driving out of his way, to find charging stations.

The other article was about a couple journalists that took a Model X on a cross country trip. It seemed like they weren't necessarily EV people, so they seemed a little annoyed at waiting for the car to charge. But there was nothing in the article about needing to plan ahead or having any trouble finding stations.

2 completely different experiences. Here in the midwest and a lot of places down south, the Bolt doesn't make much sense if you need it for long distance travel.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think the is a microcosm of the way the general public views bev's. some see them for local only, while others don't see them at all.
    it would be disingenuous to suggest that they are ready for prime time, but they are gathering steam as more models and incentives and charging stations come along.
    i have to question the bolt driver who didn't think it through first. what must his life be like?
    as for auto writers? 'nuff said.

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    They were probably on the clock; their time was being compensated. Their annoyance was likely contrived.

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  4. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    First I firmly believe the Tesla network is ready for prime time. Other long range BEV's...not so much.

Also, the guy that bought the Bolt did plenty of thinking beforehand. But that's the point, it took a ton of planning to make it happen.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't argue on the tesla network, not having experienced it.
    but i doubt that many of the 97% gasser drivers would agree. i wouldn't even consider a bev for long hauls, and i want one.

if the question is, who will do better in the long run, the company with the charger network, or the companies without? probably tesla in the long run, but way down the road. i still think most buyers are thinking local driving.
    and who knows, non tesla charging may grow with bev sales.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He likely could have waited for a local dealer to get the Bolt in, and then not have to do all that planning.

Well, I think most buyers are like me, they already have another car to use for long trips. Going to a gas station is just too familiar to them.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but even those shopping are the same way. there's still a mental and physical hurdle to long distance ev. even in a tesla.

8. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It would be interesting to know what percentage of vehicles, in a given year (or lifetime by one owner) ever go outside of a 100 mile radius. 50% ...75% or 95%???

Mike

bisco likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd say less. but if you're buying a bev with the intent of long distance driving, even once in awhile, you either need to be prepared to make it work, or it's not even on your radar.

10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I read and watched these two pieces as well yesterday. I have a different opinion than you after it. I thought how remarkable that both were able to drive their EV long distances with poor and no planning. The Bolt buyer failed to realize not all charging stations are equipped with CCS fast chargers. I'd call that poor planning. And yet he made it. He also drove nervously at a slower 60 mph pace for 3 hours on the longest stretch and arrived with 23 miles extra on the GoM because he didn't know the range of his 238 mile EV range Bolt. It's not the middle of winter and the car is brand new. Why would you expect your range to be otherwise?

Driving a Chevy Bolt EV electric car halfway across the U.S.: what it takes

We drove the electric Tesla Model X across America - Business Insider

bisco likes this.
  11. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Being unfamiliar with it he probably had all those stories of it being a true GoM in the back of his mind. I'm not sure I would have done much different if it was a car I wasn't used to yet.

12. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As a percentage of every single licensed vehicle? Probably way less than 50% ever go more than 100 miles away. Potentially even less than 20%. Keep in mind that many lower income individuals never (or extremely rarely) leave the city they are in, especially if it is a very large city.

13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I've said that 90% of my drives I could do in a 50 mile EV. But in the remaining 10% is the occasional trip I make that puts 60+% of the miles on the car. I went from Sanford NC to Williamsburg VA last weekend. 700 pounds of people plus luggage. Drove around locally for 3 days, drove half way back. When I finally stopped for gas I had 1 bar on the battery, one bar on the gas gauge. Gas, pee and 10 minute dinner. $20 in gas for 43.6 MPG at mostly 55-70 MPH. Even if there had been a charging station there, I would have had to wait considerable time because I still had 100+ miles till home.

I did hit one stretch where 70MPH slowed to a 5MPH crawl for several miles. As I crept ahead on battery with the A/C on, I though of all the gas guzzlers spewing fumes and eating $$$ doing the same.

When I got back, I checked to see where the charging stations would be if I was EVing. I would have needed 3 multi hour stops, not one 15 minute one. 2 could have been convenient physically to my route though trip time extending by several hours. Nice Chamdo billboard on 95. In Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown there are a few but in paid parking or must stay here locations. Nothing in the visitors centers parking lots at the three.

My next long trip is to Myrtle Beach and there are multiple charging stations there. Quite a hike from where I'm staying though and with my car I won't have any gas stops that trip.

Would I have wanted to be on 95 at 10 MPH less than the limit and maybe 15 less than traffic?

Even though I am retired, time is still a valuable commodity. 3 hour charges hold no attraction. (I got home before dark, watched the NBA finals. Had I needed to charge, neither would have happened.)

I could buy an EV for 90% of the trips and buy a hybrid for my wife and the trips. But the ROI on that approach is horrible.
    $3k home charging circuitry holds little chance of an ROI.

Your situation/opinion may differ.

bwilson4web likes this.
  14. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You might look at the Pacifica plug-in minivan. It may be more vehicle than you need and the EV range could be better. Regardless, it looks to be an interesting, large format, vehicle. I don't know enough about the control laws to compare it with a Prime.

The BMW i3-REx has the EV range and with 168 hp, rear-wheel drive, is a nice ride. But the motorcycle sized tank means cross country involves a short fuel stop every hour 15 minutes.

Bob Wilson

15. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Probably a lot less than that -- maybe 25% if that...

I do, so no pure EV for me, a Prius Prime (what i'm getting) or a Volt is as close as i'll get.

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    If your local trips are under 50 miles, you could probably get by with just Level 1 charging; no need for home charger upgrades.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    another thought, if 90% of your drive is under 25 miles, is it worth purchasing and toting around a 240 mile battery for 10% of your driving?

iplug likes this.
  18. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Another example of why a plug-in + a BEV with battery sized to suit commuting and errands is a great combo for the large percentage of multi-vehicle households in the U.S..

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honestly, i should be driving an old leaf, and using my wife's car for longer trips.

markabele and iplug like this.
  20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    maybe for SOME owners - but definitely not a hurdle for ALL owners ;
    Tales from a Tesla Model S at 200k miles | TechCrunch
    ;)