1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 interior rattles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by web1b, Dec 18, 2012.

1. web1b

web1b Active Member

Front passenger door rattles on cold idle. When the engine starts up when cold, the passenger door panel resonates with engine idle. It doesn't rattle with bumps on the road, just the engine vibration.
    I took it to a dealer and they added some foam padding and I thought it was fixed, but the next day I noticed the same issue except now the buzzing is "tighter" and faster and a bit muffled. Opening the door stops it. After the engine warms up and idles at a different RPM, it is no longer noticeable.
    Any idea what this is?
    I think I will try a different dealership this time.
    The second rattle started when the weather cooled down for winter. The center console rattles with bumps in the road.
    Is this a known issue that the dealer should have a common fix ready for?
    These noises are minor, but so annoying and will not be covered after 36 months even if I were to purchase an extended warranty, so I need to get it fixed soon.

2. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    High density foam 001.JPG I did this last year and it seems to work. It's not the most elegant solution as it can be seen when you open the front doors but it stops "sympathetic vibrations". This is High Density weather stripping foam 3/4 inch - note, the low density version will not work. If you are careful to follow the lines in the door, the match up to the dash edge will be perfect and will not be noticeable once the door is closed.
    If you want to experiment first before trying this, close some foam rubber in the area shown and see if the vibrations stop for you. If that doesn't work, then this mod is not going to help.