1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 issues with 2012 Prius, asking for feedback

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kalome, Jun 4, 2012.

1. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    When I accelerate I notice a rattling noise almost each time. Is it bad gas?
    I have been getting gas (90-95% of the time) at the same gas station for years, including the whole time with my 2011.
    Also for the first time today i got an error message on my screen for the radio that says something to the effect that the USB has too much power consumption and will not run.
    When I powered off and powered back on after lunch it started working again.
    I never had either problem with my 2011.

Any other people out there with either issue?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Simple questions:

Where is the rattling coming from? Doubtful you can hear an engine rattle unless you have a finely tuned ear. It is probably plastic-on-plastic rubbing.

I am guessing you plugged something in that can draw more than the 500mA maximum USB current limit (i.e. a cell phone or any i-product). If the charge circuit is not limiting to 500mA when plugged in (again any i-product) then it will shut off as per USB requirements.

3. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It is a little hard to describe the sound, sounds like rattling. It only happens when accelerating. Another person posted a video on youtube regarding it that is having the same problem. Here is the link to the thread High pitched sound normal? | Page 3 | PriusChat
    I can't link you to the actual video since I am at work and they block youtube but in the thread above you will see a comment linking to the video.
    The person that posted the comment/video is tzh.

Regarding the USB. I have been using the same USB drive for 3 months, no problems. It hasn't happened again since yesterday so I'm crossing my fingers it doesn't happen again.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have not watched the video, but if it is a high pitched whine and not a rattle, then that is the inverter. When you are boosting many kilowatts of power you are pumping current into big magnetics and then yanking them out at high frequency through a IGBT switch. This produces aliases in the human audible frequency range, which you are hearing. That's why many electronic devices have a high pitched whine. The more power conversion, the louder the amplitude. The older you get, the less you hear it too. So if it is a high pitched whine, there is nothing wrong, it is just the inverter doing its thing of converting the 240vdc battery pack to over 600 volts 3 phase to drive the wheels.

The port isn't the problem. The port is to spec. The problem is the device you connect. Some device like I mentioned above can draw up to 15W from a USB port if left unmanaged. This is a big no-no. If you do not know, Power = Volts * Amps. USB is limited to 500mA and is always 5v (there is a spec to a little below and a little above, but lets say 5v for now). So the maximum legal power limit is 5v * 0.5A = 2.5W. If your non-compliant device's battery is mostly charged, then it will probably draw less than 2.5W. If it is a cell phone with 10% battery left, wifi on, radio on, bluetooth on, screen on, and playing a game, 10W+ is not uncommon to power the device and the charge circuit. My guess is whatever you plugged in is non-compliant and the charge was low enough and/or the draw at that time was high enough to go over the 500mA USB limit.

5. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    "I have not watched the video, but if it is a high pitched whine and not a rattle, then that is the inverter."

It's not, I've owned 2 Prii. This is a new rattling sound i'm hearing. If you watch the video you will know what I mean.

The USB drive worked fine for 3 months and it only errored once yesterday, so I'm hoping I will not run into anymore problems since I have 2 of the exact 8 gig USB drive.

Thanks.

6. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If it happen when your alone in the car, check the passanger seat belt, I hear mine banging around sometimes. I also notice my coffee cup does in the front cup holder.

7. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    lol, no no no. It is not coming from the inside of the car...the youtube video shows the same problem i'm having. It reminded of the time many years ago when I had an older car and it would make the same type of noise when accelerating. Back then I was told to either fill up with higher octane or put some kind of gas treatment. It would clear up when I used the 89 octane which is why I asked in the OP about bad gas.

I'm going to make mention when I go for my 5000 maint @ Toyota.

8. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Possibly this sound?

9. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if you are joking since you put a big smiley face after it but no it is not the sound I'm getting. I linked the youtube video in a previous post on this thread.

It sounds like I need higher octane gas, but Prius should be fine with 87. Never had this issue before and I use the same gas most of the time on both 11, 12 Prii.

I'm going to contact Toyota on this.

10. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No, not joking...that is my "signature". I found that video in the forums and it seems like a lot of people had that knocking sound, so was just trying to help.

11. kalome

kalome Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh okay. It is different than that.

The video is from here - (from previous comment)

It is a little hard to describe the sound, sounds like rattling. It only happens when accelerating. Another person posted a video on youtube regarding it that is having the same problem. Here is the link to the thread High pitched sound normal? | Page 3 | PriusChat
    I can't link you to the actual video since I am at work and they block youtube but in the thread above you will see a comment linking to the video.
    The person that posted the comment/video is tzh.

12. PriusVcanyonrunz

PriusVcanyonrunz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I know old post but i had similar issue which i caught on video and come to find out it was a bent heat shield from what the dealer told me. Problem solved, no cost to me.

bisco likes this.