1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 Kayaks on a Prius? Heck Yeah!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Fluxuated, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So 2 years ago, when I was driving my 2009 Lexus RX350, I bought a Kayake for myself and my wife. A few months later, I traded in the gas guzzler and bought a Loaded Gen III Prius. Big Problem, Glass roof (Solar Panel) and there's no way I'm putting a Kayak on that roof with a couple of sponge blocks. Last week, I picked up a Thule rack system, and here's the Pics.

As you can see, it holds the 2 Kayaks very well. Best part about the Rack, is I can Install in about 5 minutes, and remove in about 5 minutes. Meaning, I can install it, take out the Kayaks, and when I get home, the rack comes off, so I can keep my fuel savings to the max.

I couldn't be happier with this set up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wjtracy and ewxlt66 like this.
  2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Racks are very handy! Must be a little scary at freeway speeds.

3. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My question is - do you use tie-downs at the front and the rear of the boats/car? Did you find points on the car for tieing off?

Allen

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

My question as well, I saw a Honda Fit with a kayak on it at freeway speeds and the kayak was pitching back and forth on the rack. Looked kind of scary.

5. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a fair question. I only installed it last weekend, and took a 7 minute drive to the nearest lake, and back. I've not had it at highway speeds yet. It seems to be solid, so far. I'll keep an eye out the sunroof and post about it, when I get it up to speed.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get a ladder and reach up and if you can grab the front or back of the kayaks and rock them up and down, then they should be tied down, both front and rear to prevent rocking. Rocking will add stress on the rack and especially stress where the mounts contact the roof.

7. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, if they need tied down, I will certainly do so. But even at that, it won't add much stress, as you only need to tighten enough to prevent the rock, the rack and where it's tied to the rack will take most of the securing

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do not know about the Prius v but Gen2 Prius has tie down points in each corner.

OP nice look from the front...that would look awesome in someone's rear view mirror. Looks like an airbender attachment.

9. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    A friend of mine with kayaks has these Thule racks... not on a Prius but we won't talk about that. They're great for getting the kayaks on and off... way better than anything he's had previously. We strap them down, but just to the rack itself, not to the car. I've never driven them any distance without the straps secured, but with the straps the kayaks are solid and I've driven them at 110 km/h (~70 mph). No concerns at all, just have to watch them for clearance when maneuvering, though on yours it looks like you have no overhang at the front and minimal at the back, which would help.

10. Lindsi

Lindsi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Super glad I stumbled upon this, I have the solar roof and we plan to buy kayaks sometime in the future. My company sells the racks but the manufacturers (thule and rhino) would both just say "not recommended/not tested" and the first few searches here led to nothing that was helpful to me. I actually wanted to see a rack installed. Do the feet touch the glass at all? Or are they completely on the frame of the vehicle?

Any update on how it feels at higher speeds? I doubt I ever plan to leave town, but we have some awesome places about 30-40 minutes from home that I'd wanna check out next year when we finally have everything. I have the Thule platform bike rack that attaches to the back...My car will def look like a beast with bikes and kayaks :)

11. Mattman4723

Mattman4723 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you buy roof racks I highly recommend Thule racks, I have them and they are bomb proof. At highway speeds my kayaks do fine. I don't have the solar panel roof but I'm sure it would work fine. I've had two mountain bikes, two whitewater kayaks, and two paddles on the roof with no problems except massive decrease in MPG.

What kind of MPG is everyone else getting with racks?

Lindsi likes this.
  12. Mattman4723

Mattman4723 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    photo copy.JPG Did 250 miles at or around 70mph, not a problem at all. After that trip I think the fairing actually decreased my mpg even more. It pushes the air up and makes it less aerodynamic, so needless to say I removed that and get a little better mpg. Any questions about stuff, let me know.

13. Fluxuated

Fluxuated Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The feet do NOT touch the glass at all, they are completely supported by the Metal frame, which is ideal, and exactly what I wanted. I don't want anything touching the sunroof or the Solar panel.

Highway speeds are excellent, no issues at all. Well that's not entirely true. The main issue is your fuel economy goes right in the Toilet with 2 Kayaks on the roof ;) Nothing we can do about that, but as someone who stretches every drop of fuel out of a tank, it's a huge hit. What I mean by Huge Hit, is that its very noticeable. Even the rack system without the Kayaks as a noticeable hit, which is exactly why I Install them, transport, and remove the racks when the Kayaks come off the vehicle. I hang them in my garage, until my next trip.

OH for anyone who noticed.... I'm happy to say that the 2012 Ford Focus that can be seen in the picture, has been replaced with a Brand New 2013 Prius C ;) What's better than 1 Prius in the driveway??? 2 Prius in the driveway!

ChuckDorsett, RideUgud and WE0H like this.
  14. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not that this thread was that long ago, but is the Thule still the setup of choice? My other half likes to Kayak and since I will be getting a company vehicle, he will be getting rid of the Ford Escape Hybrid that has a Thule Rack and will be getting to drive the Prius instead. Does the rack damage the car at all, besides the gas mileage suffering (well it always does when he drives but that is another story :LOL: ). I am guessing that this setup will be a lot easier since the car is lower. I had to bring the step stool to put the kayaks on the Escape. Will be wonderful to eliminate that step.

15. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My wife and I love the Thule rack. We have used the same rack for either the large soft-sider bag or for two bike carriers. We took about a 2 mpg hit at highway speeds, but that's all. The same rack can go on our 2004 or our 2010 Prii without modification, and like somebody said above, they are almost bomb-proof! It doesn't damage the roof at all. I placed crayon marks inside the door frames on both cars so I know where the proper position is when I re-mount it to either of the cars.

Bill
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rupert B Puppenstein likes this.
  16. Rupert B Puppenstein

Rupert B Puppenstein Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the reassurance. We will get one next weekend then. :)

17. Peanutbutterandpickle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need the cross bars and the kayak rack you bought! I have a 2006