1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 part maintenance/performance question?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bslamb, Oct 11, 2018.

1. bslamb

bslamb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 08' prius with 185k mi, burns a little oil but nothing alarming, it runs great but notice that sometimes going up slight grades the engine seems to rev almost as if the trans is slipping (in a conventional car). Shifts fine but wondering if it's normal or just me? Is it just a matter of the engine working harder than the battery?

Secondly, I did a oil change and noticed some varnish on the inside of the motor. Wondering if using a engine flush is safe on my next oil change and if so, what type/brand is best?

Lastly, anyone seen positive results from using seafoam in either the fuel or OIL?

Thanks in advance!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes the engine is working much harder then the battery.

Over reving under light load usually means the hybrid battery is getting very tired. It is not providing sufficient power to assist the engine.

It will tank to one purple bar real fast and takes a long time to put blue bars back in it and engine over revs a lot and mileage tanks.

3. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've used the seafoam, didn't change the darkness I see in the valve cover. But I have 243,000 on a 04 gen 2.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    YOu should NEVER put a solvent in with your oil......and that includes SeaFoam.
    Leave the deposits alone inside the engine.

In the gas, it is a light duty cleaner and won't hurt anything in the recommended amounts........but it won't do much good either.

5. MichaelKnight

MichaelKnight Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    An estimate of 10-12 years of life expectancy for Gen 2 HV battery. Your going on 11 years...
    You will be able to further extend the HV battery with a Hv/grid charger but how much time cannot be guaranteed.
    Correct ICE is working harder.

As other mention depletion of Hv battery struggles to maintain a charge and like to frequent the purple bar range.

6. bslamb

bslamb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks to all for the comments. It has a new hybrid battery in it. I’ve always been a little bit of a lead foot with reg cars but have changed my driving technique with my Prius. It just seemed to rev a bit high when I’m going up an incline and needed to jump into traffic and get moving. Otherwise car runs and idles great.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Champion avatar!