1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 Quick (& Hopefully Simple) Questions Re: Stock HU, Subwoofer, & OEM Battery

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by SamanthaC0716, Nov 6, 2016.

1. SamanthaC0716

SamanthaC0716 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    all,

I have a 2012 Prius C.

We have already replaced the front 2 speakers with 6.5" Rockford Fosgates, and that went well.

We are adding an 8" Sound Ordinance amplified subwoofer in the trunk / hatch area. I have RCA cables to hook up, but that apparently doesn't work with the stock headunit. Also, we know that we have to wire the subwoofer to the OEM battery for power. Here are my 2 questions...

1) Can I buy an adapter, if one exists, to take the RCA cable into whatever port into the back of the stock HU? I have the navigation model. I believe that you can tap the subwoofer into the front speakers, but I think it's a better option to connect to the headunit, unless I'm mistaken.

2) Is the OEM battery sufficient to power the subwoofer? I've seen that lots of members have added subwoofers and assume that they are connected the OEM battery, but my brother and father, who are my installers, were concerned because the Prius C battery is smaller than usual.

2. w2kpugsly

w2kpugsly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  3. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for your reply... I spoke with a tech. from Crutchfield. They said that the amplified sub can connect to the speaker wires in the back of the head unit and that I would not need any kind of converter. I'm wondering whether we can tap into the rear speakers and not go all the way up to the head unit.

How do you like the sub? I'm excited... The speakers already sound much better.

iPhone ?

4. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From some research, I've read that using an LOC with RCA cables will give me better sound quality, so I'm going to forgo the option to connect the amplified sub directly to the speaker wires in back of HU, even though that requires no additional purchases.

Just ordered a Scosche LOC and RCA cables. They'll be here Wednesday. Can't wait.

iPhone ?

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A Prius battery is not designed to run any accessories when the car is off. If you keep the car in Ready the inverter can provide about 80 amps. (1000 watts)

If you attempt to run any accessories with the car off, a jump start kit is safer than jumper cables. (Incorrect polarity can cause $4000 worth of damage)

6. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Not running anything with the car off...

iPhone ?

7. w2kpugsly

w2kpugsly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    The sub is nice. gives an overall boost in sound and the missing oomph. Not going to do the deep deep bass but that's okay for me. (I don't need my teeth rattled any more. )

The thing I like most its that it fits under the passenger front seat ... No taking up rear cargo room.

8. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Haha. I'm not looking to wake any neighbors with this, either. Just need a little more bass.

Hmm... Mine is way too big to fit under a seat! Are you sure we have the same one? I got the B-8P.

IMG_0568.jpg

iPhone ?

9. w2kpugsly

w2kpugsly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Lol you'll get way more bass than me. I have the Sound Ordnance B-8PTD, its a pancake sub. But I think you'll be happy I like it because it does fit under the seat and I keep my hatch space....

10. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pumped! I was going to go the underseat route but couldn't find any with good reviews. A lot of them were mixed, and I didn't want to gamble on it. It was about the same amount of money for this one, and my brother has the same one in his WRX and loves it.

iPhone ?

11. wigmann

wigmann Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If you havent mad a purchase yet check out OEM audio plus. they make a custom system for the prius C

12. w2kpugsly

w2kpugsly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Looked at it, waaaaay outside of my budget.

13. SamanthaC0716

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had already purchased everything, and the install was finished up yesterday. Very happy with it!

IMG_0650.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

iPhone ?

w2kpugsly likes this.