1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 REFURBISHED BATTERIES SINCE JUNE.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Swift2000, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Swift2000

Swift2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Whats up everyone. I have an 2005 Prius with 172,000 miles on it and I had a refurbished battery installed this past June due to typical issues. P0A80 and P3000 codes in the system. The car drove great until early September and bam the red triangle of death came back on. Same codes listed above. I have a 1 year warranty on the battery so the gentleman came and gave me another battery. Car has been driving fine until this past weekend when it started to just feel under powered. The battery display would fluctuate from full to 1 bar very quickly and the gas engine would turn on and repeatedly when stopped. Finally the red triangle came on and the hybrid battery cooling fan kicked on. Now I have the codes listed above plus P0317 module 7 fault. Do you think there is an underlying issue or I just got back to back bunk batteries. There is a intermittent P0466 code for the evap system that comes and goes but i wouldn't think that has anything to do with the hybrid system.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What is up is you are putting used batteries into your car. Expect that pattern to continue for as long as you keep putting tired second-hand batteries in your car.

We are seeing this all the time, sorry.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Best to call this gentleman again, and let him know that the current battery replacement has thrown multiple DTCs.
    Be thankful this gentlemen is continuing to acknowledge the warranty, most are 30 feet or 30 seconds, whichever gets you farther.

Please keep us apprised over the next year on the outcome (y)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Swift2000

Swift2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thank you! I definitely will. I think after the warranty is up I'm going to spring for a new battery and be done with it. I wasn't sure if it was an underlying issue causing my batteries to fail. I know a few of his clients and none of them have had the issues I've had. He is a stand up guy and I have no complaints about his service.

SFO likes this.
  5. Tamara Mosley

Tamara Mosley New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I've had two reconditioned battery replacements in the past two years in my 2006 Prius by "Fix My Hybrid" and both have failed within 13 months, the last just barely over 1 year. $1,400 spent ($900 for the initial purchase and $400 for the "warranty replacement" - I should have just gotten new ones because it's still going strong otherwise.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it makes you feel any better, that is about the most you will get out of a refurb these days.