1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 "reverse" lights out, all other bulbs work fine.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bmparent, Jun 16, 2021.

1. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I failed inspection today because of what the mechanic called the "reverse lights". On my 2007 they're the 2nd ones down. Thing is, both sides are out, and after looking at the bulbs closely they don't look burned out. The lights above and below work fine. I don't know how the wiring works with these lights, but I doubt these two bulbs could be on a separate fuse. I know mouse damage could be a possibility, there's been rodent action in the front end over the years for sure. But where in the car will I find that part of the wire that's common to both bulbs, before the split? I guess anywhere between the trunk and engine?! And then if I do find a chewed wire, it probably won't be something I can DIY. What say you experts?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Have you tried simply replacing the bulbs and see? That's a $5 solution

3. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As JC91006 said, I'd replace the bulbs first. If you didn't notice that both bulbs were out you probably didn't notice when the first one burned out, followed some time later by the second bulb. If the bulbs don't fix it, I'd look at the fuse for that circuit. While it could be the wiring, check out the simple stuff first.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't always count a blown fuse as simple stuff, just because what it's usually telling you is that you haven't found out why it blew yet.

bmparent, you haven't mentioned whether you have a multimeter or are comfortable using one. That, and the car's wiring diagram (more info), are often the tools of choice for this kind of a puzzle.

bmparent likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well gee I suppose I could try just replacing the bulbs. I like to make things complicated, see. I'm assuming I can spot a burned out bulb from a good bulb, which of course is not necessarily true haha! One thing I thought of: I have the intermittent dashboard-cluster outage; I have the part and am planning to replace it, um, sometime. I know that when the dash lights go out, other things happen like the trunk cannot be opened for example. I wonder if, since my dash lights are out now, that it's making the tail lights also go out. Natually, when the dash lights go on in a couple of days, I'll see if the lights are working again...

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you take a squint at the wiring diagram posted by rjparker in #5, you'll notice the combination meter is what has the job of activating the BKUP LP Relay to make the backup lamps light up.

bmparent likes this.
  8. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's mighty interesting, that diagram! My money's on combo meter being a fix!

9. bmparent

bmparent Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's confirmed, when the dash lights came back on, the back up lights did too. Got me a sticker!