1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 stage regen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by gazz, May 21, 2007.

1. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed this morning while driving to work that the regen while off throttle seems to have two levels. With your foot off the throttle you get full regen, but if you apply a small amount of throttle the regen is reduced but you still have the blue bars so I assume it is still regening electric. Has anybody else noticed this or am I going mad with light throttle control.

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't think it's 2 stages as much as linear. If you push the pedal slowly it will regen less and less until it hits the "sweet spot" with no arrows on the display. This is a close to coasting as you will get and is used in pulse and glide. So assuming your car is warmed up you should be able to hit a "no arrows" state on the display which means your actually coasting.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 21 2007, 08:25 AM) [snapback]446561[/snapback]</div>
    Correct. The natural state would be to have no regen braking until the brake pedal is depressed, but this would be counter intuitive compared to normal engines and transmissions. The Prius control system applies a small amount of regen to simulate engine drag when you lift your foot from the accelerator.

Tom

4. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ May 21 2007, 07:25 AM) [snapback]446561[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for that, it's just that the throttle movment is so small I can only detect 2 levels. But its interesting to know anyway, sometimes if I need to loses a bit of speed and find this light regen quite useful.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You'll get a small variance between throttle and no throttle. But that's no where near the difference you get with the 2 stages that actually are available...

Electricity generated while you are driving comes from the 10kW motor.

Electricity generated while you are braking comes from the 50kW motor.

6. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ May 21 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]446553[/snapback]</div>
    I don't understand what you're saying about "blue bars".
    The "blue bars" are just showing a battery SOC level, 4 to 6 bars, not related to regen.
    A "green arrow" shows the regen.

Anyway...
    We observe the regen is not such step stages like digital, but we see it analog.

We watch CAN ID 0x244 7th byte shows the accel pedal value (0 to 200) and CAN ID 0x03B 1st and 2nd byte shows charge/discharge amp value to/from HV battery...

pedal value 0 to 2: there is regen simulating a conventional vehicle's throttle off. The regen amp value is propotional to the pedal value.
    pedal value 3: deadband coasting, same ampere usage as in N.
    pedal value 4 to 19(?): MFD shows no green or yellow arrow and it looks deadband, but we see some amp use, a light EV mode.

The accel pedal position is very sensitive on these situation and you need some kind of CAN message decorder.

Ken@Japan

7. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ken1784 @ May 21 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]446750[/snapback]</div>
    I mean the blue arrows, there is a definatley a difference between full throttle off and a slight pressure which keeps the blue arrows on, the regen amount feels different. Any more throttle goes in to a glide, no arrows.

Can some one also explain the different stages of warm up, I keep coming accros them but I have not found a topic which explains them.

Also I am getting very excited as it looks as I might get my first 600mile tank, I am on 540 mile with two bars left, fingers crossed, that should make 66 UK mpg for the tank.

8. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can some one also explain the different stages of warm up, I keep coming accros them but I have not found a topic which explains them.

Also I am getting very excited as it looks as I might get my first 600mile tank, I am on 540 mile with two bars left, fingers crossed, that should make 66 UK mpg for the tank.

9. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gazz @ May 22 2007, 11:37 AM) [snapback]447219[/snapback]</div>
    Hobbit has a page describing the stages,

http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/cars/five-stages.txt

best read just before you set off then you can spot the transition between stages as they happen. They only affect your journey if you have stop-start traffic during the warm up. You want to avoid making a stop when the engine won't shut down. Good luck with the 600 miles, I find I can go about 20 miles between reaching the final bar and getting the add fuel ping, then it is up to you. Set the second trip counter when you get the ping and aim for a reliable petrol station.

10. gazz

gazz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KV55 @ May 22 2007, 07:51 AM) [snapback]447242[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, I search and search but still cannot finf half the stuff on this site.

11. KV55

KV55 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    The stages do seem arcane and if you can get off to a flying start, with no early stops, they won't affect you.

Driving in to work I have a short but steep hill that I have given up trying to get over on EV. I found going up slowly pulled power out of the battery and the result was a low state of charge when I reached the top, this forced the engine to run on the downhill stretch which was otherwise perfect for a long glide. I got around this by giving the car some acceleration up the hill, enough to put charge into the battery. I use more fuel on the way (double) up but can glide on the other side.

Driving back home I start from the top of a hill and it is best if I park up with four bars, to reduce the chance of the engine coming on before I have rolled down to the bottom of the hill, as I have to sit at a roundabout for a minute or two when I get there.

If you find that the engine won't switch off at an early junction try to modify your route to avoid it or try to get past that point before using the engine. Pressing the EV button as you approach a stop is often worth a try.