2 Time Alignment Fail, Right Front Caster Off.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jzchen, Jun 9, 2020.

1. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Stuck again. Gonna take a break for today. My dog looks like he feels neglected and he was diagnosed with terminal cancer...

Upside down castle nut ALMOST gave me enough surface for my 6" C-clamp. Emphasis on almost! Maybe I need to buy a smaller clamp... JPEG_20201117_164428_5994661872389101729.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry to hear about your puppy, I lost mine a few years ago and still miss him lots...

Sometimes it's just nice to have a buddy around to celebrate with..
    you may need to reattach the ball joint studs you already removed to separate the ball from the knuckle easier.

and how to use the other tools for the ball joints

#22 vvillovv, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    jzchen likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That suspension must have taken a real thumping at some time in its life.

jzchen likes this.
  4. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This is getting pricey tool wise. Found a ball joint separator now on loan from AutoZone, (had to drive to one somewhat far away to borrow it). I needed the inverted castle nut to get get a grip as the fork is not wide enough to straddle the ball joint. Unfortunately eventually the tool bent the lip of the nut, and shot outwards. Luckily I was thoughtful enough to not have any body parts in the area. Tool is fine I just need to clean up a little grease and can return it. I drove to the Econo Super Store I mentioned yesterday and picked up the $94.99 plus tax press kit. It has a piece that lines up really nicely with the large bushing. Now I found a Ball Joint Separator kit by Baum Tools for $287.07 which has wider forks: 24 mm, 27 mm, 31 mm, and 36 mm. Seems likely this would work but it's the ONLY ONE I can find.

Thoughts- With the lower arm removed there is a lot of play with what is left. Almost like a pendulum it can be rotated around quite a few degrees from center. From this I deduce any castor issue is due to the lower control arm or it's attachment to the frame. Nothing else is to blame. Either the arm is bent, those bushings got distorted, or the attachment to the frame or frame is bent. The arm has an interesting "218" scribed on it. I wonder if this car was in some sort of accident before we took (new) delivery, and it was replaced. I guess the strut could be bent but given it flexes around seems highly unlikely...

Ugh, my parents will be out of a car for a few days more. Not too bad though they are retired...

5. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The Baum 31mm tool and the other screw did work and it's out! The original screw you crank down on had some thread damage but while I wait for a replacement the other screw fit and worked! Be careful it can shoot out once it gives....

Now to retrieve my new castle nut from the dealer. Parts guy ordered the wrong part I will walk the dog there... JPEG_20201121_085143_5111202147383908792.jpg JPEG_20201121_085308_8201121506406280204.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

6. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Debating on the brake pads. I have a set in stock. For less than 35k mi this is extreme wear for a Prius v as I understand! JPEG_20201121_101433_6764743299730069861.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Ball joint back in couldn't fit a torque wrench on a crows foot (19 mm), tightened as tight as possible with a long box wrench, had recently purchased a set from Harbor Freight.

I'm stuck:

Installed the caster bushing as instructed to +0.5 degree. Gave up trying to remove the intact front bushing lubed it with silicone spray and tried to install. No go. Already dark for a while removed the two nuts and one bolt from the arm to ball joint and pulled the arm back out. Gonna try to find my VHT chassis paint, scratched up some areas trying to get it back in. When morning light comes I guess my only hope is to try to compress one rung on the strut spring to relieve pressure. The polyurethane bushing won't bend to fit back in like the rubber one, or maybe after a break while I paint and let dry...

moto g(7) power ?

8. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Whatever you do if you attempt this job do not compress the spring and lift the bottom of the stabilizer bar link. Looks like I bent the rack and pinion. Hopefully nothing else. Costly mistake.

The assembly is now significantly toe out. On the bright side I got the arm in. But didn't try to connect the ball joint/knuckle anymore.

moto g(7) power ?
    View attachment 201528 View attachment 201529

9. jzchen

jzchen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just ordered the rack and pinion from my beloved AutoZone online. To save 20% it has to be shipped to your home. For my home address it's 3-5 days. Out of town for a planned Thanksgiving getaway I looked up the part here. AutoZone online says free next day shipping available around here! I tried to order to have it delivered to our hotel but the AZ app says the address here is invalid. Maybe it is concerned about not matching the billing ZIP or recognizes this as a business. Gonna wait the 3-5 days I submitted. Wonder if they'll accept my bent core, that's $90 worth....

There is a possible concern between 16" and 17" tire versions. Turning radius spec is wider on the 17" tire optioned v's.

moto g(7) power ?