1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 Time Alignment Fail, Right Front Caster Off.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jzchen, Jun 9, 2020.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What is this cracking?!?!?! Less than 35k miles, sigh...
    IMG_20201217_145532130.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not cracking, flow marks in the casting.

Raytheeagle and jzchen like this.
  3. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you. It's very inconsistent, the rest of the piece is clean as shown. Is this something to be concerned about?

moto g(7) power ?

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, it’s unsightly but not a structural defect.

jzchen and Raytheeagle like this.
  5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Continued with work without the alignment tool. Crossing my fingers I wont regret it and have to take it apart again. All panelling still out as well as oil filter housing. Bought an extra pair of Rhino Ramps so I can tighten the lower control arm bolts while suspension is loaded (level) on all four wheels, then will remove the ramp and wheel on front passenger tire, put on jack stand, then reinstall filter then all the covers. IMG_20201220_090331537.jpg

moto g(7) power ?

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Done putting the car back together. I rushed to the alignment place but they couldn't take me today. Steering wheel was off to the left driving straight maybe 15 degrees. Disconnected the "steering intermediate shaft" and rotated the steering wheel straight and reattached. Excited to see how alignment goes tomorrow morning...

Air_Boss likes this.
  7. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    This thread reads like the epic, War and Peace. Hopefully, the alignment goes well.

jzchen likes this.
  8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thank you for all your input!

I ended up not using the strut, nor the CV axle, everything I bought from Rock Auto essentially. Tightening those main bolts on the LCA and the steering rack were quite a pain, literally. I may be suffering from arthritis because I'd need to take a break after one or a couple at most.

I'm happy with how it drives actually, even before the alignment. Looked like the original right front ball joint was leaking grease. When I went to work on the driver side looked like that one was just starting to leak. All parts replaced with aftermarket from Autozone. Not impressed with Toyota longevity/sturdiness I now have AutoZone lifetime warranty on them. Parts replaced:

sway bar end link right side- (old one still looks good no grease leak)

Steering rack and pinion- somehow the forces made it bend with the LCA not attached to the ball joint, with the strut spring compressed. It just happened all of a sudden with no warning, the spring was compressed for maybe 5 - 10 mins as I tried to wedge the LCA with rear polyurethane bushing in. That's just the rear bushing, I did not replace the front one, original still looked good. I didn't try lifting the engine/transmission but it may work when replacing the left LCA as the front bolt does not clear. I ended up dropping the whole kahoot because it's probably the only way to get the LCAs back in with at least the rear SuperPro polyurethane bushing. The poly bushings are way too stiff to allow fitting the Toyota way, at least the rear SuperPro ones. Be wary of a possible long wait to get SuperPro products if they have to be special ordered. I think it took 3 months, and SuperPro USA noted that Suspension.com ordered them the same day I placed my online order)

Tie rod ends- even though I have the correct size Baum tool, when I detached them from the knuckle grease leaked out. (Sigh they still looked good before removal). Grease leaked out both ball joints also. I guess I didn't align the tool right even though I tried to make the arms level as noted.

(Just waiting to go to the alignment shop which opens at nine. Don't want to go early lest I need to go the restroom while waiting. Geez, did I mention I"m getting old?). Sorry if I'm being boring, if this actually solved the caster problem I'm more than happy to help anyone attempting this in the future. Turns out there is some leeway when raising the rear cross member into position. (Make sure the ball joint attachment to the LCA is made PRIOR to raising into position)! Just loosening and shifting the assembly then raising it back may be all that needs to be done as an alternative.

I'll post alignment results when I get back. Gonna go get it washed after it's so filthy...

moto g(7) power ?

Air_Boss likes this.
  9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Was it all worth it? Was I successful? Drum roll please...

Attached Files:

srivenkat and Air_Boss like this.
  10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

jzchen likes this.