1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2" trailer hitch for the 2010 available anywhere???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by rrolff, Aug 19, 2009.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's up to you.
    Please do it at your own risk.
    In case of accident, an insurance company will be interested in the cause of the accident.

Ken@Japan

2. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good point Ken. And too what will the dealer say when they see that trailer hitch when you briing it in for warranty work?

3. JATiii

JATiii Druid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I purchased one the other day, but have not installed it yet. I was slightly disappointed as it is not 100% welded construction. Ill let you know when it is installed.

I purchased it as I have a hitch mount bicycle rack made for a 2" receiver. It was cheaper to get the larger hitch than the parts to convert the rack. BTW, the rack is a Thule T2 and it is outstanding.

4. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Please take some pictures of what you got, and the install process.
    Thanks.

5. JATiii

JATiii Druid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Will do. This isn't my #1 priority as it is for a bike rack, and as many can imagine, I'm not riding a lot, nor do I have any desire to freeze any important body parts off in my garage, so it may take a few weeks.

6. LetsGoCamping

LetsGoCamping New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Jatii.......We need a 2" receiver for our bike rack (had one for 5 years on our Gen. II with no trouble.) Where did you get yours? Is it on yet? Pictures available?

7. LetsGoCamping

LetsGoCamping New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Any news on a 2" receiver hitch for the Gen. III Prius? We are still needing one and very anxious to get it - biking fever is here!

8. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  9. LetsGoCamping

LetsGoCamping New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  10. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think this one would add much more length. Of course you would remove it when not towing so who would know the difference. And it's plenty strong enough to carry all that a Prius should be carrying. Moose 1-1/4 in. to 2 in. Hitch Adapter - DennisKirk.com

11. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I installed a Quality S 2" hitch on my 2006. They have a model for the 2010. The pictures shown on most websites show a hitch that just has a solid bar across. The actual one delivered for my 2006 looks different and has space for the muffler. As for quality, I guess it's in the same league as Curt. Some of them fit, and a lot of them have to be bent back into shape. You can see a picture of mine in post #31 of the thread http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/45202-curt-hitch-install-problems.html

12. priuscinci

priuscinci New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Since it looks like nobody has actually replied to the original question that meets the criteria (2 inch hitch on a 2010 Prius and having actually tried it), I am going to take the plunge and order the 2" Quality S hitch, have my mechanic install it (I have no illusions about my total lack of mechanical skills) and then pair it with a new Thule 971XT Helium bike rack. I will see what happens, report back and maybe even take a pic or two.

Fingers crossed since this looks like the only 2" hitch out there for the Prius!

13. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am still looking for any hitch for the Prius made of something that does not rust. I have found over the year that a Hitch needs to be repainted ever 2 years because of all the stones that hit it.

14. priuscinci

priuscinci New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Umm, every hitch I've seen on any vehicle rusts... the factory hitch on my 2000 Grand Cherokee rusted within 2 years of having it, the aftermarket hitch on my Dad's Acura TL rusted.... Your wish is definitely one for which I wouldn't hold out!

15. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am sure it’s possible. Black stainless steel, carbon fiber, maybe some super hard thick plastic. Anodized Aluminum would be a little better. If the anodized chipped off, it would oxidize that would look better then rust after two years.

16. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Custom made only. Black stainless steel? What type of stainless is black? Painted maybe.

17. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The first of anything is custom made. The second stage is production.

There are many ways to turn stainless steel black. Painting is not the best. This company uses black oxide.

Black Oxide Steel black oxide Brass black oxide Stainless steel black oxide MIL-STD-171D Mil-F-495 (brass) Mil-C-13924-C (class1,2,3,4) ESF-M6P3-A (Ford Steel) ESB-M6P4-A (Ford Stainless Steel) PS-1129 (Chrysler) GM-4347-M (GM) SAE/AMS-2485 AMS-2485

18. Silver2010

Silver2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Black oxide is still a coating. And a not a good one. Black nitride would be a better choice assuming a coating is what he wants.

"The first of anything is custom made." Of course but only if a manufacturer sees a market. You won't get a custom made for a one off unless you are willing to pay big bucks. And I don't think Prius owners are the people that will pay big bucks. Maybe Ferrari owners!

19. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suggested black because anything else would look bad. The entire bottom of the car is black.

The goal would be a material the does not need maintenance ever 2 years like current hitches.

It is all about free enterprise. There are a lot of products released for many different cars because someone or company felt there was demand and they acted on it. The first item always starts as a custom then moves into production.

20. vuduvgn

vuduvgn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Any word on the 2" hitch from Coastal or Quality S?
    I have a 4 bike (can be used as 2 bike) hitch from a previous car that I want to use on the Prius. On the previous car I had a 1 1/4" receiver and the rack would bounce around like crazy with four bikes on it. I wanted to put on a 2" receiver to limit the amount of movement the rack experienced from road bumps.
    Any ground clearance issues from the 2"? Ease of installation?