1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2-week-old Prime Advanced rear-ended, hard.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PushingSquares, Oct 6, 2018.

1. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Best to try to get it totaled if at all possible. Did you take it to a Toyota dealership?

When my 2017 Prime was totaled (ran over something on the freeway), the Toyota dealership I went to pretty much worked with my insurance company and made it plain that the repairs would be ridiculously high. The dealerships work with body shops and add that quote on top of anything else. With Toyota, it would be all OEM parts of course. I would not trust a body shop to use all OEM parts.

Also, the dealership was pretty frank in their opinion, stating that "even if you put $20k in repairs, I wouldn't personally drive that car". You should see what your dealership says - don't forget that they will make serious bank on the car by doing a lot of the repairs so they are actually motivated to push you towards the repairs. Hopefully your dealership is just as honest in their appraisal.

PT Guy likes this.
  2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That sucks.

These cars today are hard to repair, partly because of all the fancy bits littering the expendable parts like a "bumper" and "side view mirror".

Some ECUs are "hazardous" because they contain a live lithium battery inside that can't be disconnected/removed. I am not aware that the ICS ECU has anything like that... So it should be air capable. Most likely they just didn't want to pay the extra $50 to send it par avion.

3. SeattleBicycler

SeattleBicycler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm sure any Toyota Dealership can do an appraisal for you. I would take it to the dealer with whom you bought it from (Burien?). And personally ... if you can afford it (and this is what I would do) I would trade it in on a new car. Once a car is wrecked you will never psychologically feel the same about it and mechanically you are more susceptible to issues with it down the road. That's just my two cents.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

pghyndman and Pdog808 like this.
  4. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    For myself, I was lucky the dealership understood what I wanted to do (i.e. total the car) and they made it as plain as possible to the insurance adjuster that the car should be totaled. Took almost a whole month but I ended up with a new 2018 Prime. Remember, this may be the last year before they take away the $4500 Federal tax rebate. Plus a lot of state and local discounts may disappear.

After the payout I received for the 2017 Prime, the $4500 Fed tax rebate, $1500 California EV Rebate and $450 electric company rebate, I actually ended up far enough ahead of the curve to pay for my tints ($900) and most of my paint protection film ($995).

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. PushingSquares

PushingSquares Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Finally got it back! The only nit is some marks on the back glass between the glass and the seal, apparently because they didn't clean all of the glue off when they removed it from the old back hatch. The body shop needs to order a part to remove/re-install that, so I'll take it up this week once they have the part to get that taken care of. Otherwise it looks and runs just like new.

For those keeping score, that's 14 days at home, and 35 getting repaired. Hopefully the second number won't go up much more :)

UltraJetRefill and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Michael King

Michael King Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Just to corroborate this. I took significant rodent damage to my previous Prius. (Ate out all the sound dampening in the dashboard, all the air filters, and chewed thru the radio antenna cable).

I've had some random stuff happen (Radio display flickers and stuff)in the last 12 months that I was never comfortable about. Ended up trading for a Prius Prime two weeks ago, and this was one of my main motivators!

7. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What this person said. Most light p poles have cameras as do most intersections.

More than likely your city or county or state has employed ALPR's (automatic license plate readers). You might get lucky and that car will have a history of being in that area. If so. You might have a picture of that person.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I wonder if your car now has a "rebuilt" or salvage title. I am not sure what the criteria is for that; for example, does it only happen if the insurance company totals the car? If so, it will greatly reduce the resale value of the car when you decide to sell it.

9. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    This is an old post... but just wanted to add...

I'm not even confident that the Toyota dealership I took my new Prime to for repairs used OEM parts.
    The headlights on the damaged side is different from the one on the side that wasn't damaged.
    (One side has the blue hue to it while the other one has more of a softer hue to it ) ...

10. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it back.

11. Landon51

Landon51 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    It was last year, so unfortunately I doubt they will do anything about it at this point - but I will mention it though the next time I'm there. I truly think this car is cursed. Now the charging cable wont engage to charge it!!!! I think I need to trade this in as it has too much bed juujuu me thinks. ;(;(;(