1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 weeks in: here's my review

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Babiebuggie, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Babiebuggie

Babiebuggie New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Disclaimer: i didn't post this in another thread because I have many questions/comments and want some help.

I purchased my Prime Advanced about 1 ½ months ago. I live in Denver, CO and had it shipped from Cerritos, CA.

I just came out of a Ford Fusion Energi.

Here’s my review. If anyone has any hints/tips on the items below, I’d very much appreciate feedback.

Pros:
    • The range is exactly as advertised. My Ford Fusion said 25-30 and I’d get about 11 with the heat on driving over a few hills. I’m very happy with the range.
    • She accelerates very well and the engine really doesn’t kick on until about 80 MPH which is a huge plus.
    • She’s very smooth. I very much enjoy the ride.
    • The interior is gorgeous. I am very happy with the look of the Moonstone.

Cons:
    • Remote climate: the EnTune app works 1 in every 10 times. I ask it to turn on max heat and it almost never works.
    • No door unlock feature in the EnTune app: am I missing it?
    • Back car doors cannot be locked/unlocked: there many customizations pertaining to the doors however I cannot figure out how to lock or unlock from the back doors. Also, is there a way to lock the whole car with one door still open? I often times get my son out of the car and start walking into a store while my husband is still unbuckling our daughter and now I have to wait for them (first world problem, I know).
    • Wipers are not sensitive enough: I have the sensitivity at max and it gets to the point where I cannot see out of the windshield before the wipers come on. It’s just not safe.
    • Backup camera is inaccurate: I’m very used to having steering wheel lines so having fixed lines has been a learning curve for me. It’s also forced me to depend on all my mirrors. I know it’s a safety feature, but the lines give you too much room. They show that I should have about 2 feet on either side of my car when backing into my garage which is just not realistic. Toyota told me they cannot add steering wheel lines. I’m hoping an upgrade to the software will add this feature soon.
    • Phone technology use is very buggy: I bought the Prime instead of the Volt because of the large screen and its technology. I’ve had the car for about 1 ½ months and I’ve had to reconnect my iphone 6 twice because it’s so buggy. Intermittently, it won’t make calls, the radio stops working, Siri get confused, etc. I took it to the dealer and of course it wouldn’t repeat so they just had me reconnect.
    • Speakers need more bass: I have the Advanced model with the JBL speakers. Is it just me or are they subpar? I had Bose in my Ford Fusion and they were so much better.
    • Adjust adaptive cruise car lengths? I do not see a way to set the distance between my car and the car in front of me when using adaptive cruise control.
    • Steering wheel only heats sides, not the top: why doesn’t it heat the top of the steering wheel? Because you’re supposed to drive at 10 and 2?

I feel like Toyota simply ‘checked the box’ on so many features but they weren’t completed with quality.

bisco likes this.
  2. Rightrudder

Rightrudder Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Cruise control distance is changed via the button on the steering wheel. It defaults to the farthest distance each time you turn the cruise control on and you have to press the button twice for the closest distance -- and with mostly NJ driving is not close enough for me!

Babiebuggie likes this.
  3. Rightrudder

Rightrudder Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Also I can't compare it to the Fusion, but the Prime's bass can be adjusted in the audio settings. Mine has enough bass to vibrate the rear view mirror when looking through it. I find it is better than my previous '05 Accord

Babiebuggie likes this.
  4. Rightrudder

Rightrudder Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    -I've had similar experiences with Entune regarding climate control but if you close the app and open it again I've found that the car did receive the signal and is warming.

-No door unlock on the app so no need to look further.

-Had the opposite experience with the wiper sensitivity until I turned it down a bit (it was wiping on what I deemed a clean windshield)

-Also had the bluetooth errors a couple of times (Tether Error was displayed) -- maybe an Entune fault as well

I guess this all could have been done in one post but oh well...

Babiebuggie likes this.
  5. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Add: autoparking works nicely

Babiebuggie likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rear doors do not have SKS. The only Toyota that has 5-door SKS is the RAV4 Limited w/ Platinum package. Otherwise, most Toyotas with SKS are 2-dr (plus trunk) or 3-dr (hatchback) and sometimes driver-only. Lexus models have 4-dr/5-dr SKS.

You can try pressing the LOCK side of the power door locks button on the door panel. It should lock the car as long as the key isn't inside (then it'll unlock all doors as a key-lockout protection).

Heated steering wheel is typically on the sides only (on other cars as well). Yes you're supposed to drive 10-2 or 9-3 (preferably 9-3 because of the airbags as well as better positioning of the vehicle if you need to make a manoeuvre)

priuscatprimeguy and Babiebuggie like this.
  7. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    sounds like advanced wasnt worth the upgrade. nice review and i agree with many of your points as well. buggy software.

lol at the door unlock. i still havent gotten it down.

8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I had trouble with Pandora. I force quitted the Entune app in my iPhone and relaunched the app; hen it worked.

iPhone ? Pro