1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$20,000 2014ish Model S, good or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by Isaac Zachary, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was quoted $233/month for full coverage insurance. I'm seeing a few of these cars, some with clean titles, that is, minor or zero accidents.

But what are the chances I'd suddenly need an ultra expensive battery or some other repair?

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    IMO, as long as it isn't a Salvage Title you should be in good shape.
    The only thing about the Model S I don't like are the door handles. They are not cheap, but I know of many people who have saved money by replacing them, themselves.
    I would also look into what gen MCU it has. If it has a first gen MCU that will likely need to be replaced.

If you don't need a car now, I would wait until the Model 3 or Y start getting into that range. Shouldn't be much longer.

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Good idea for the right person, bad idea for the wrong person

Zythryn and Isaac Zachary like this.
  4. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya, but those have fewer features I'm interested in.

5. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I guess I'm not going to even try to get one for now. The insurance salesman just got back to me and said it would be more like $343 per month. That's a bit too much for insurance IMO.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What's the mileage and actual battery capacity? Tesla reported an average capacity loss of 12% at 200k miles.
    Insurance companies are being really cautious with EV batteries. If there is just a hint that damage to the car impacted the battery, they want to replace the entire pack. It would help if the car companies would grant access to battery condition data, but they don't.

The Model S is an aluminum body. That increases repair costs before considering the availability of Tesla repair shops. The 3 and Y are steel bodies, so they should be better on insurance rates.

Merkey and Isaac Zachary like this.
  7. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was looking at less than 200k miles, some as low as 120,000k. There are a lot on Autotempest.

I guess I'll have to wait for either a used Tesla 3 or a Chevy EV of some sort in the future when the Avalon is no longer worth repairing, maybe an Aptera if there are no kids left at home by then.

8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2012 Model S cost $15 more per month than my 2007 Prius. This was in 2013.
    There is a wide range of costs. Some insurance companies, IMO, simply don't know, so they charge a lot.

If you shop around you can find a much better price. Heck, I pay much less than that quote for a brand new Model Y.

9. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I found a 2018 Prius Prime with 100k miles for $18,000, good CarFax report. That seems like possibly a much better deal than the Model S except it may not be as big inside.

Possibly. I recently tried shopping around for better insurance for the Avalon. Everyone was the exact same except Progressive. Except after the first 6 months they really upped the price to much more than what I was paying before, so I switched back to AAA who I was with before.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is an exceptional price for a prime

11. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's good news that prices may be getting back closer to normal. The one thing that would hold me back on a Prime would be the lack of 5 seats total. I believe the 2020 Primes forward had 5 seats, correct me if I'm wrong.

12. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Correct. 2020 and forward for 5 seats I’m in the same boat. Need room for kids as well. Was looking at a Prime but just can’t do gas anymore…. So might be getting a MY….

bisco likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just curious, what would liability only insurance cost?

Let me suggest buying Tesla stock at the rate the insurance agent quoted for comprehensive coverage. This is called 'self insurance' and has the advantage that if never executed, you'll have a nice option for the next EV.

Bob Wilson

#13 bwilson4web, Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  14. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw on the quote page around $55 per month. I'm not sure if they'd call me back with a higher price like they did with the full coverage though.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Great prices can be had on the 2016 model S. Plus - a nice thing about 2016 is - halfway through the year was when they upgraded their MCU and added side view cameras. Newer front end style too .... so that makes for bargain prices - & if you find one from private party - they will often still have lifetime free supercharging.