1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

20,000 more troops, how crazy is that?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Beryl Octet, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jan 10 2007, 04:09 PM) [snapback]373789[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, and now that the armed forces have upped the enlistment age to 42, the chance is there to put their entire body on the line, at least for the younger war supporters. With my kill-em-all cow-orkers under 42, bringing up that point to them is one sure way to get the conversation changed to something else, praise Bob.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Jan 9 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]373436[/snapback]</div>
    President Harry S Truman was the first foreign leader to grant Israel diplomatic recognition. It was not backed with either economic or military aid. U.S. policy toward Israel was quite cold and detached during the Eisenhower years. In those days, France was Israel's main diplomatic ally and military supplier.

Relations warmed up during the Kennedy years. That was when Israel acquired its first significant American weapon system, the Hawk anti aircraft missiles. It was during the Johnson years that the first fighter/bombers airplanes were sold to Israel, first the Skyhawks, followed a couple years later, by the F4 Phantoms. Between the 1967 and the 1973 wars the U.S. became Israel's main armaments supplier.

3. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 10 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]373486[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I know. That's why it had a smiley face.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 10 2007, 12:56 AM) [snapback]373486[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but they didn't have nearly as much support before we invaded Iraq. Osama was even our buddy until we sent troops to defend Saudi Arabia in Desert Shield/Storm. Not that there's much else we could have done in that situation. Too bad we practically gave Saddam our blessing to invade Kuwait in the first place, though.

Abandoning the Islamic faith is punishable by death. Yet that doesn't stop us from sending missionaries over there to convert the poor misguided folks to Christianity. Too bad we can't just leave well enough alone. Then maybe they wouldn't want to kill us.

By the way, fshagan, I enjoy reading your posts. They are often thought-provoking and well-reasoned. Keep it up!

4. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Jan 10 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]373849[/snapback]</div>

To actually believe these statements you have to be so devoid of knowledge and history that a conversation with you is impossible because I do not have the time nor patience to provide you with 3000 years of history. Unfortunately you have probably been educated by mainstream media and democratic/liberal demagoguery so it is understandable.

So my only possible response to you is:

Idiot!

Admittedly not very sophisticated, but neither are you.

5. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 10 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]373880[/snapback]</div>
    How eloquent.

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 10 2007, 05:18 PM) [snapback]373880[/snapback]</div>
    Nor do you have any facts or evidence to refute the several paragraphs of accurate history you're in denial over, which is the REAL problem: you're left empty handed and thus:
    ... we are treated to another fine example of witless insult from one whose arguments have crumbled and failed.

Tsk tsk.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Jan 10 2007, 03:59 PM) [snapback]373849[/snapback]</div>
    First, Osama was pretty much a non-entity to us during the Russian war with Afghanistan; he was simply one of the Mujahadeen that we supplied arms to so they could pester our enemy. His philosophical differences with us were probably just as keen then, but the more immediate threat to the region was the Soviet Union. So he took our money and arms, and fought them.

We did not give Saddam our blessing to invade Kuwait. We would have been OK with him invading Iran again, of course, but Kuwait has always been friendly to us.

Do you really think the American government sends missionaries into Muslim countries? "We" don't, but individual Americans, whether they want to be "human shields" for the peace movement or missionaries for a church, do risk their lives to help others.

Also, do you know any missionaries? Seek some out, and ask them how they spent their time in the country they served in; you may be surprised by the answers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 10 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]373900[/snapback]</div>
    Not only an insult, but a very large type insult. Does that get extra points?

8. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 10 2007, 11:58 PM) [snapback]373983[/snapback]</div>
    The whole dispute started because Kuwait was slant-drilling into Iraqi oil fields. It's not always about the oil, but sometimes it is. Many have argued that Ambassador Glaspie's statements that "We have no opinion on your Arab - Arab conflicts" and that "the Kuwait issue is not associated with America" were interpreted by Saddam as giving free reign to handle his disputes with Kuwait as he saw fit.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 10 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]373880[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'>
    To actually believe these statements you have to be so devoid of knowledge and history that a conversation with you is impossible because I do not have the time nor patience to provide you with 3000 years of history. Unfortunately you have probably been educated by mainstream media and democratic/liberal demagoguery so it is understandable.

So my only possible response to you is:

Great!

10. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 10 2007, 06:10 PM) [snapback]373829[/snapback]</div>
    This was in response to the Soviets supplying Arab countries with top of the shelf front line weapons systems which proved their worth in the initial series of battles of the Yom Kippur War - which Israel should have lost if it were not for "Arab" military incompetance. Rumor has it that Golda activated Israel's strategic forces once the realization was made of the magnitude of the disaster that was visited on front line Israeli forces in the Bar Lev line and in the Golan.

The Russians were extended the Cold War to the Middle East and attempting to increase America's global responsibilities - trying to stretch us if you might. The US supplied Israel not out of love for Israel but out of geopolitical pressures being applied during the "high times" of communism.

I believe her ineptitude cost many Israeli soldiers their lives. Seems that every time a peacenik Israeli Prime Minister is in offce military and political disaster visits the Promised Land.

11. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    And how are we going to get the 20,000 or so extra troops? Deploy National Guard and Reserve units even longer! If this really is the fight of our time, then why aren't we going all WW2 on 'em instead of trying to do it on the cheap with moves like this? Maybe some war bond drives would let that 30% who support the war put their money where their mouths are. The enlistment age has already been raised to 42, too, so there should be plenty of volunteers out of that 30% so that we don't have to stretch our National Guard even thinner.

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20070112/D8MJEH400.html

12. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jan 10 2007, 08:58 PM) [snapback]373983[/snapback]</div>
    In my hurray to post, I left out an emoticon. This is how my remark should have read:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Jan 10 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]373900[/snapback]</div>

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 10 2007, 08:18 PM) [snapback]373880[/snapback]</div>
    Still waiting for the answer to my question.

How much will you sign up to contribute to the 'ReMake the Middle East Campaign" which you've suggested we begin?

Why are you so evasive? Money is energy, it's time, it's effort.

It's often used to measure how much we want something. So, how much to YOU want this to happen?

Why won't you let us know, by telling us how much you're willing to contribute, personally? I have a few ideas why this may be... but I don't want to share them, yet.

15. stanleyjohn

stanleyjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know that the iraq government will love the extra troops.As long as we are there the present iraq government gets to stay in power.Until the government and the people of iraq decide they want our way of life!we are going to run things for them.Bush and others are afraid that if we pull out,the current government will crumble and a islam state like iran might take over.