1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

200,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Raytheeagle, Apr 10, 2019.

1. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The evaporator is sealed. No air inside, well, virtually no air... But, I've never seen
    one that the leak started from the inside.

If you keep the train cleaned out, 99% of the moisture will drain out.
    How did you reach in and dry it???

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What I do is turn the AC off at least a mile before destination, and keep the fan going at a good clip. Give the condensation a chance to evaporate. Roll the windows down too.

johnHRP likes this.
  3. johnHRP

johnHRP Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just run the fan on and turn the AC off for about 2 or 3 minutes from my final destination. If the evaporator is not ice cold and air flow will dry the moistures on the fins. It is just enough to prevent mold growth that I used to have years ago.
    Since I did it, no more moldy smell in spring.

4. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So you stuck a camera in there so you could see it was dry?
    Doubtful that's enough. But if it makes you feel better, go for it. (y)

Grit likes this.
  5. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    A camera can fix a lot of things!

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I feel all encouraged… :rolleyes:

seriously, this is a thing.

7. Megamax

Megamax Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    2012 Prius 4, hit 200k this past weekend on a 600 mile round trip to camp/bike with friends. The executive summary is the car has been dead reliable for me. The only thing I can really fault is that all four of my lock actuators went out in the first 70k. Dealer repaired would have been 2k but I DIY'd them for about $400, so not terrible.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? Do you maintain it? Original, never touched.
    2) Did you replace the 12v battery? Yes, probably at 8 years.
    3) Did you replace the transaxle fluid? How often? Dealer did it at 50k, I did it at 100k. Don't plan on doing it again.
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? 150k. Probably could have gone longer.
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? Don't know. Currently seeing 42-52.
    6) How often do you change your oil? Does your Prius consume oil? What brand / product did you use? Every 10k with Mobil 1. Consumed a quart per 1000, up until piston soak (more below).
    7) How about posting a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO? Done
    8) Did you install an oil catch can? How often do you inspect or dump it? No,
    9) Have you cleaned the egr circuit? How frequently? Once at 195k. Was totally clogged.
    10) Any other maintenance? Four lock actuators, one front bearing, rear shocks. All DIY. That's it for 11 years other than standard maintenance.

I have always said this is the best car I've ever owned in terms of reliability. I had a 1989 Honda CRX and a 2007 Honda CRV and both were great but still had more issues. I used to frequent this forum regularly but had probably been away for three years at least. I was amazed to come back to all the issues. Fortunately for now I seemed to have dodged the majority. Original water pump although I may consider changing it. Original brake booster without any issues. Even with the clogged EGR, I consume zero coolant and have no symptoms of a blown HG, so hoping I've avoided that one.

The one thing that really bothered me is consuming a quart of oil a thousand miles since probably 170k. Prior to this weekends trip I did a piston soak with Berrymans B12. I was pessimistic but figured it could not hurt. Changed the oil and headed out for my long trip. After 600 miles of hilly highway at 70-80, I had burned no discernible oil. Totally amazed. I will keep an eye on it to see if the issues return.

My gas mileage has definitely slipped, although I can still see in the 50's on trips where traffic keeps speeds down and adds some stop and go. I saw 43 on my 600 mile trip but I encountered very little traffic and had a hitch mounted bike rack, which probably costs 3-5 MPG. I'm sure my traction battery is degraded, which is probably the main culprit.

Attached Files:

Robert Holt likes this.
  8. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    IMG_20230912_122119733_HDR.jpg On my gen 3, I don't want to mess with the a/c since it runs so well. I would be afraid of contamination from something from the service unit or from poor instrumentation from a service tech. Putting in too much oil or the wrong type. For example.

9. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm never done anything with the traction battery, but changed the 12 volt to a Toyota one. Everything was checked when I had the head serviced at Tampa hybrid. The egr circuit was serviced before I took it there but they did it also. No catch can because the blow by is very minimal. Oil usage has always been very minimal. I change the oil when the car tells me to. And for the last several years I've been using mobile 1, 0-16. Since it's thinner I keep an eye on the darkness of it. That plus the reminder is good enough for me to know when to change it. I think that the thinner oil also helps with cold weather starting wear and better mileage.

#49 LiAiGuo, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
  10. Jennifer Eubank

Jennifer Eubank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just purchased a 2011 Prius with 238k miles. Its history is essentially unknown, unless I want to spend $50 on a Carfax report. I got some bare bones maintenance information from the Toyota owners web site. I know that a lot of parts were updated, including the head gasket.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? Do you maintain it? As far as I know, it's the original battery.
    2) Did you replace the 12v battery? I believe it was changed at a Toyota dealership in 2018.
    3) Did you replace the transaxle fluid? How often? I have purchased the Toyota transmission fluid and will have my local mechanic do the drain and fill.
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? The seller advised he did the brakes.
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 238,400
    6) How often do you change your oil? Does your Prius consume oil? What brand / product did you use? Amsoil 0W20, done by the seller before turning the car over to me.
    7) How about posting a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO? I can't get it to upload, for some reason.
    8) Did you install an oil catch can? How often do you inspect or dump it? No,
    9) Have you cleaned the egr circuit? How frequently? It has a new head gasket, but I don't know if this was done.
    10) Any other maintenance? Water pump, thermostat, head gasket, brakes, air filters.

Robert Holt likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check with the shop that did the head gasket, hopefully done, all EGR components and intake manifold (also has EGR passages).

From watching the head gasket cases piling up here, EGR clogging seems a likely culprit.

see first 2 links in my signature; if on a phone turn it landscape to see signature.

13. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Suppose I can fill this out too now that I have the car running:

The car is a 2010 that I bought with the early stages of a blown head gasket. It had 262,200 miles when I bought it. I now have about 263,200 miles.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? Do you maintain it? No, it is original. Dr Prius says 59%.
    2) Did you replace the 12v battery? Yes, I replaced it at 262k miles. It was the original Toyota battery
    3) Did you replace the transaxle fluid? How often? No, I assume it is original but I don't know for sure.
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? No, I believe they are original
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? Unknown, only 1000 miles on the car since purch
    6) How often do you change your oil? Does your Prius consume oil? What brand / product did you use? Unknown, will report back
    7) How about posting a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO?
    8) Did you install an oil catch can? How often do you inspect or dump it? no
    9) Have you cleaned the egr circuit? How frequently? I cleaned it during the HG replacement. It was almost completely clogged.
    10) Any other maintenance? Basically none except for oil changes, according to the previous owner. The car was a highway commuter.

Robert Holt and bisco like this.
  14. LiAiGuo

LiAiGuo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On my 2010 w/ 260k on it. I did what I call, a high mileage maintenance. I had a head gasket failure indicated by hard engine knocking upon start up. Otherwise known as "hydrolock". This was at at about 220k. I shipped it to Tampa Hybrids for a professional service. I've been a PA automotive safety inspection mechanic for 40 years and really do not trust dealer service quality.
    Changed the 12 volt battery at 130k, OEM brakes approx every 100k. EGR cooler cleaned as it was clogged at about 150k and again as an included service with the head service. I changed the plugs at purchase (130k) and again at head service. Iridium plugs. Also the coils, oil seals where also changed at Tampa hybrid. They did an excellent job.
    I added 70 watt fog lights. Fuel system was only treated with fuel injector cleaner. Never needed to change the fuel pump, but probably will soon just as precaution. Injectors never changed. I did clean up the EGR ports in the intake manifold. No oil catch can. Tampa hybrid changed the PCV valve. Mine doesn't use any oil. I prefer using a mobil 1 0-16. The benefit, I think, is that it keeps the rings working as well as better startup lubrication for the bearings. Downside is that the frequency of changing the oil is higher.
    Struts were shot at 185000. Changed the lower control arm bushings, ball joints, tierod ends I/o. Changed the tpms module and sensors. I initially changed the coolant and it was changed again with Tampa hybrid. The car still has very good compression and runs like it did when I bought it. The 3rd gen Prius has great longevity if you maintain it. My traction battery is a Nickel hydride battery. And health was checked also by Tampa hybrid and myself. It's healthy. My general mileage depends on the mode and how you drive. I hypermile quite a bit. My average runs 45-50+ more after I add a can of berryman's injection cleaner. I was thinking about changing the water pump as well, but I don't think that I have to.
    I just think that it's an amazing vehicle. Have fun with it.
    It's a great car. Have fun.

15. slickvik

slickvik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hit on November 7

16. another_tyson

another_tyson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My gf and I have a 2010 that has about 227k on it. The MID is intermittently working (poor soldering in the dash) so I'll skip the picture.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? Do you maintain it? No, it is original. No, we don't do anything to it.
    2) Did you replace the 12v battery? Yes around 180k. It was the original Toyota battery
    3) Did you replace the transaxle fluid? How often? Yes @ 100k & 180k. It's not hard to do yourself.
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? I think the fronts were done by the dealer around 120k?
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? Unknown. Seems like 43 mpg when she drives it, 48-49 when I drive it. It has barely if at all degraded since new.
    6) How often do you change your oil? Does your Prius consume oil? What brand / product did you use? Started every 5k, then Toyota sent a letter to me saying every 10k was enough. I went back to every 5k. Guessing it was changed every 5k from 0-20k and 180k-present. 30k-180k probably every 10k miles.
    7) How about posting a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO?
    8) Did you install an oil catch can? How often do you inspect or dump it? no
    9) Have you cleaned the egr circuit? How frequently? I cleaned it once, just the section closest to the front of the car, at the same time I cleaned the intake manifold, throttle body and everything around there, replaced the PCV valve.
    10) Any other maintenance?
    Water pump @ 180k
    Brake fluid changed and flushed DOT4 @ 100k & 194k
    Shocks and struts (KYB front & back) @ 203,700 mi
    Clazzio interior, leather(sale at holiday time for $500) @ 203,700 mi
    New floor mats @ 203,700 mi
    sway bar linkage, both sides @ 203,700 mi
    New headlights bought from rockauto at 220k with LED lights ($350 total, replaced all bulbs in the HL assembly with LEDs, totally worth it).

The ~$1.2k spent on the new suspension, the interior and the floor mats will make your car feel 10 years younger. I highly recommend. I put the suspension on in 4 hours and it was a great excuse to buy a 25-250 ft-lb torque wrench. I "expect" to get 300k or 20 years out of the car.

mjoo likes this.
  17. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Darn...my 2010 is at 175k. Original hybrid battery and all internals, although rotors have been replaced. Oil change every 10k miles or less. I love the car, traveled several times back and forth between NJ and FL, and even back and forth from NJ to CO. So many amazing memories with the Prius. Love it, but there is a chance I may part with it soon and will miss posting it here when it hits 200k miles.

#57 asj2009, Feb 27, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
  18. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    What are you considering for your next car?
    An EV?
    That's the only thing that will cost less to operate than a Gasser Prius.

19. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just bought an RX 450h+

Wanted to try a PHEV instead, but with bigger room and ability to tow.

I will try to keep the Prius though as a backup. I love the thing, been with me since the beginning.

20. Bolton-John

Bolton-John New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    im on 250k but i need to do a few more posts before it lets me uploads pictures of the odometer, however i have just bought it ( ex ubers are being sold cheap in the uk due to the new 10 year old max rule ) but i will upload pics when i can