1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

200,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Raytheeagle, Apr 10, 2019.

1. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The current odometer on my 2010 Prius. I don't think I'll hit 200k as I am now using a newer car for long hauls. Keeping the Prius for now, because I can't part with it. Dr. Prius says the original hybrid battery is in fair condition.

20240325_195307.jpg

2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Now why are you giving up on this Prius?
    I don't follow...

3. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Mainly because we don't really need 2 cars. Just bought a new car which has a higher elevation (which we need, as we sometimes go on roads that are not optimal, and it's iffy driving the non-AWD Prius on muddy off roads), and I work remote so no daily drives. I am keeping it at this time for basically sentimental reasons. Love it, and liked Priuses ever since I rented a gen 2 in 2009. The wife does seem to like driving it, and it can be used as an emergency 2nd vehicle. But yeah, so far no strong impetus to sell it.

#63 asj2009, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Bill Norton likes this.
  4. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So you bought a car up the mountain from where you live,
    or you keep it parked there????

Or do you simply mean 'Ground Clearance'?

JK, (y)

5. asj2009

asj2009 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry, ground clearance. The Prius has a very low clearance and we keep scraping it. I'm now in FL...highest point here besides buildings is some garbage dump probably lol

Bill Norton likes this.
  6. Tyler Sweeney

Tyler Sweeney New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hoping someone can help. I was driving on the freeway at 65 when the check hybrid system warning popped up and went into limp mode and was able to make it home, less than a mile. Tried starting it the next day but the engine will not start, and steering wheel is stuck as well as can't shift gears. I have two bars of gas. I replaced the hybrid battery 3 weeks ago because the same problem occurred. Any help? The codes that pop up are p0a80, p3190, and p3191. I've read to disconnect the negative of the 12v and fill with gas but I havent tried anything besides disconnecting the orange plug on the hybrid battery and that did nothing.

Joseph Jenkins likes this.
  7. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It may be the inverter flipped out.
    This happened to a friend and it was a free SW update for the inverter and they're back on the road, with only the tow expense to the dealership. There is a 'TSB', recall, whatever concerning the inverter.

I'd try that first.
    But it could be your 'reconditioned' HV battery pack didn't last.
    They only guess at the 'health' of the old modules they have to choose from. They can't monitor the individual cells within.

8. Tyler Sweeney

Tyler Sweeney New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah i’m thinking inverter as well, do you think it can be low on gas and filling it up and disconnecting the battery can solve it? last time it happened, i was also low on gas when the check hybrid popped up randomly and wouldn’t let me accelerate and shut down on the side of the freeway. the first mechanic we took it to said the inverter could be bad but he couldn’t tell without a good hybrid battery installed, but ended up going to another mechanic to just install the hybrid battery. Is there a way to know if it is the inverter for sure

9. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Are you serious? The inverter cares not how much gas is in the tank....:whistle:

Just drag the dang broken car to the dealership and get the free SW update.

Even if you fiddle around and get it running again, drive it directly to the dealership. Small local shops can only do so much...

10. Joseph Jenkins

Joseph Jenkins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So glad I can chip in on this!

I recently had this EXACT issue, and mine is at the dealer being repaired for free right now.

My account is unfortunately not able to post links just yet, but if you look up Toyota Customer Confidence Program 23TE03 and take it to your preferred Toyota dealer, they should be able to help you. I was really nervous that this was it for my prius at 165k but it looks like it'll live another day.

I know this is a bit late reply.
    Hope this helps!

11. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    odo.jpg
    KILOMETERS
    1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? Do you maintain it? No
    2) Did you replace the 12v battery? No, Still original (11 years old now)
    3) Did you replace the transaxle fluid? How often? 2 Times
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? 1 Time
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 40 to 50
    6) How often do you change your oil? 5000miles Does your Prius consume oil? No What brand / product did you use? Eurol 0W20
    7) How about posting a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO?
    8) Did you install an oil catch can? No How often do you inspect or dump it?
    9) Have you cleaned the egr circuit? YesHow frequently? Once
    10) Any other maintenance? Headgasket is gone, so im putting a new one on it!

#71 b100, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Odometer shows 400,929 kms in the photo. At what kms did the one EGR cleaning happen? Was it complete/thorough, and was the intake manifold included?

see links in my signature, both for EGR cleaning and head gasket. Note: last link is full engine section from Toyota Repair Manual (in English).

(if viewing on a phone hold it horizontal orientation to see signatures)

#72 Mendel Leisk, Apr 27, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    b100 likes this.
  13. lilolmoi

lilolmoi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    KILOMETERS: 287,000 (174,000 miles)
    2) Did you replace the 12v battery? No
    3) Did you replace the transaxle fluid? How often? No
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? Twice
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 43ish
    6) How often do you change your oil? 6000 miles Does your Prius consume oil? No What brand / product did you use? Varies
    7) How about posting a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO?
    8) Did you install an oil catch can? No How often do you inspect or dump it? Unsure
    9) Have you cleaned the egr circuit? No. How frequently?
    10) Any other maintenance? HEADGASKET LEAK, not cracked (Toyota quoted $4200 CAD to fix, private mechanic charged $2300 CAD). BRAKE SENSOR on driver's side plus BRAKES (charged $1100 CAD). Warning lights now coming on again intermittently means probably need to replace brake sensor on passenger side.

14. b100

b100 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I cleaned it once at 220.000km The ERG cooler and intake.
    Thanks for your advise sir! I printed it all. Could be handy when i'm working on the car next week.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  15. heh

heh New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2015 that is well over the 200 mark. I replaced hybrid battery once, new inverter and that is all other than brakes tires and oil changes. I took it in for an oil change, to the dealership. next day started making a noise, took it back in and they replaced the spark plugs. next day still a noise and check engine light came on. Then while driving on freeway suddenly go big cloud of white smoke. pulled over, towed car home then into dealership. They said that a rock got into the area where the oil filter housing is knocking the housing off causing the oil to leak out and also damaged the coolant pipes resulting in blown head gasket. I took the car to a shop not the dealership and they installed a new motor. once installed the hybrid system would not kick in until they disconnected the a/c compressor. Now that summer is coming I will need that a/c. Also my mileage sucks. I went 95 miles and it drank up 3/4 of a tank. Does any of this sound true? Unfortunately for me it is....a total nightmare!!!! Any suggestions?

16. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2014 that I bought new weekend of 4th of July 2014. I was driving a truck to work at $700m in gas...$500m in truck payment. great truck and ai could afford it but after 3y I felt....cant think of the word now...but that it wasnt right as i could have more $ for vacations.

Did not test drive...Bought the Prius 3 and immediately saved gas. $242 payment, $120m gas!!!!!
    I was using fuelly but didnt keep at it. I found out max tire pressure and drive 65mph on my commute...mostly highway and I got 65mpg!!! highest ever was 71mpg....
    Today I replaced the 12v battery..... about 207k miles and if covid didnt hit would be closer to 275k....
    My son is getting the car and I will run the car when he isnt using it and I gotta go in. He is comfortable driving it and he is happy doing so.

answer questions...

2) Did you replace the 12v battery? 7/14 to today...replaced napa $235
    3) Did you replace the transaxle fluid? How often? No
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? 2x and rear just got stuck and wore weird so did again but remaining rear pads had so much life left
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? Look in signature for fuelly... but not sure how many miles ai tracked and been driving 80-90mph....
    6) How often do you change your oil? Does your Prius consume oil? What brand / product did you use? 10k miles loyally... mobile one synthetic. I do oil change but dealer every 3rd to get their inspection
    7) How about posting a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO? will do later
    8) Did you install an oil catch can? How often do you inspect or dump it? No
    9) Have you cleaned the egr circuit? How frequently? No
    10) Any other maintenance? I run techron every so often. replaced plugs at 120k and might do this summer. tires, brakes, oil and 12v battery...many various lights till I put led lights in except headlights... that is it... car owes me nothing..

wrote all this and waited to get home for pics to post... just realized 12v battery wasnt bad... my son left interrior lights on all weekend...doh!!!! still almost 10y...think it was time.

Attached Files:

ASRDogman likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe the piston orientation not correct? See rear brake drag in my signature.
    Uh oh. No cold-start shakes yet? Late in the day, but I'd get on it. See top two links in my signature.

I know I'm a broken record on these, just have to say something.

(on a phone turn it landscape to see signatures)

RootBreaker likes this.
  18. RootBreaker

RootBreaker Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    awesome will do!

Mendel Leisk likes this.