1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

200,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Jan 3, 2009.

1. dfrost7

dfrost7 Junior Member

I bought my 2006 Prius, package 3, Magnetic gray, leather interior, August 19 2006. At that time, you still had to wait a week, or so, to get your car! I had no idea what this car was about. I had seen An Inconvenient Truth, and Who Killed The Electric Car, and felt I had to do something to make the future better for my three kids, and all the rest. I had the money and paid cash. I got LoJack WASTE OF MONEY. Prius is the LEAST stolen car in the country. I wish I had picked up the Bluetooth. That's about all. I was in love with my car. I never had a car I loved like this. She made it to 200,250, miles. I totaled her in Pasadena, at the corner of Green and Arroyo Parkway :( Just replaced my car with another '06, with 110,000 miles. I found out, Prius' are holding about 2000 over KBB, (blue book), both private party, and dealer. I made a sweet deal, Feels great to have another. I had a rental for the week, waiting for insurance to deliver, a Chevy Sonic. This car was supposed to be a fuel efficient car - yikes. It got like 20mpg. Below are my answers to the survey. My total repairs (200+ k) were $495:

1) Did not replace the HV battery pack. (The fear of this is an urban myth).
    2) Did replace the 12v lead-acid battery (this is under warranty to 150k).
    3) Did not replace the hybrid transaxle fluid.
    4) Did replace the brake pads once, I am a very delicate breaker.
    5) My lifetime MPG was probably 41mpg. I did a huge amount of mountain driving and trips including the Grapevine (Calif)
    6) I changed my oil no more than 5000 miles. Once, I went 10,000. I didn't worry as much about the BRAND, or KIND, as much as faithfully changing the oil, no matter if I was home, or away.
    7) I'm away from my computer, and the forum requires posting the link, so I will do this later.
    Read more: http://priuschat.com/threads/200-000-mile-club.57091/#ixzz2OZozWM00

Dino33ca likes this.
  2. woodrufj

woodrufj Junior Member

Bought our Silver '04 package 7 (I think; NAV, no fog lights, simple airbags) in May 2004. Wife drove it for almost 3 years while I continued to enjoy my 2seater. Second kid forced a minivan on her and the prius to me. New mile intensive job might get her the prius back. One small fender bender, lots of wear and tear. We don't road trip much in it and our commutes are not long, but 7-days a week, we spend a lot of time on the road with kids, hobbies and side jobs. It's been a bike race support vehicle, an emergancy generator, an imprompto campsite, a car race support vehicle, and emergancy cargo hauler (NOT MEANT FOR 2500lb payload!), an AutoX vehicle, a RallyX vehicle, a Road Rally vehicle (best!), a family loaner and even once a get away car (don't ask).

[​IMG]

Computer replaced under warrenty early. MFD failed at 40Kmi, replaced with a re-furb on my dime around 90Kmi. Aux battery at 170Kmi, I think two head light bulbs. Rear left brake LEDs are failing and a few steering wheel controls don't work at static (they work when wheel is turned to left). Looks like inverter pump is on its way out. New tires about every 40kmi, tried alternatives, but keep coming back to OEM Goodyears. I looked like an idiot when I took the 'mistaken' smog required notice to my mechanic.

I've only seen one Prius as well 'used' as mine. I'm really glad we didn't get the tan interior that came with the exterior colors I really wanted.

I love the car, but a growing third kid might just push us out of it in the next year or so.

1.) Original HV pack
    2.) Aux battery replaced at about 170kmi/7yr
    3.) Orig tranny fluid, but soon to do full fluids flush for maintainence
    4.) Original brake pads. I check them frequently, lots left. I'm a light braker (wife is not!)
    5.) Lifetime guess of 47mpg
    6.) Oil every 5 to 7Kmi, Moble 1 5W30
    7.) Taken on 9/25/12, currently 210+kmi
    [​IMG]

Jay W

Aaron Vitolins and Dino33ca like this.
  3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    This isn't getting enough love. Amazing! So awesome!

4. mickyd

mickyd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  5. rmsmith1977

rmsmith1977 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    9k more to go til i hit 200k

Dino33ca likes this.
  6. Twiceshy

Twiceshy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Turned 200k on 9 June. I love my 2006 Gen II, purchased in August of 2006, black with tan interior (NEVER AGAIN :eek: ). One unfortunate sudden impact with a blown tread of a semi I was in the process of passing which ripped my front ferring to pieces and bent my radiator frame very slightly. The Prius definitely took one for the team that day. Realistically it takes one for the team every day - I am abusive to my vehicles in so many ways. It's hauled dogs, hay, chicken feed, horse shavings, furniture, plants, every manner of horse tack and equipment you can imagine (and some you can't). When I bought it I was driving it 1000 miles/week; it's been on at least two 2500+ mile road trips, and now has a relatively easy life of ~60 miles/day. Handles EVERYTHING New England winters can dish out.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? Nope - and I don't know a single person who has.
    2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery? Not yet. Tons of headlights, quite a few tailights and ~4 full sets of tires. All routine as far as I'm concerned.
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid? No, but I don't even know what that is, so maybe Toyota or Sears did it for me.
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? I think so - but I try to coast not only to maximize my fuel economy but to save on wear and tear.
    5) Your lifetime MGP (if available)? Similar to others here - 41-43 winter, 50+ summer
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use? I am quite possibly the worst Prius owner ever. I try very hard to go as soon as the idiot light comes on but I have at least on 2 occasions over the life of the car gone well past 10k. I know. My son has made me promise I will show the next Prius more love. I use whatever products Sears puts in it, and that seems to be working okay.
    7) How about post a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO? See thumbnail.

I'm torn between feeling like I "deserve" a new car and wanting to stick with this one to see how long I can make it go!

Attached Files:

ewxlt66 and usbseawolf2000 like this.
  7. mikednpv

mikednpv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like you've got a great car there.
    With all that you haul in your car, if you haven't done any HV battery fan maintenance, you should. if that fan gets clogged, it can cause a lot if stress on the battery and shorten it's life. Here's a nice thread to read on cleaning it and fabricating a filter at the air inlet: Fur and dirt causing major battery problems | PriusChat

Twiceshy likes this.
  8. Twiceshy

Twiceshy New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow - thanks! Where's the "holy crap!" emoticon when you need it? I will have my gearhead son take a look at that tonight!

9. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just completed 200000 Mi today.
    During oil change many things turned up today.

1) engine coolant pump is leaking. Still original. I will get it replaced ASAP. Till that time will just top up.
    2) Brakes (front and back) rotors and pads, shoes, drums need replacing. Still original. Pads still have more than 2.5 MM. I might wait on this till it is down to 1 MM. Afterall rotors and drums need change anyways. So does not make a big difference. Going by prior wear rate, I may get another 10-15 K Mi from it.

Engine has started consuming oil though since 150K now close to half quart every 2500 Mi.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack?
    No Still original.
    2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery?
    Yes Once. Now may be due for another.
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid?
    At least two times. Last at 160 K. would do in another 20 K.
    4) Did you replace the brake pads?
    Not Yet. Pl Read above.
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)?
    Do not have. But I typically get 51 in summer and goes down to about 44 in Winter.
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use?
    Every 5K usually with Dealer. Regular oil (not synthetic) to top up I add Regular 5w30 oil as well.
    7) How about post a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO?
    Sorry do not have it. But 4 of the 5 segments from 2, which were never used previously are brighter. Had seen similar thing for 100000Mi. Also see the same thing when I drive to Canada and switch speed display to Km/H.

10. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    200500 miles as of today. 1250 miles in past three days alone.

The first owner put on 2/3 of these miles and I drove 1/3 of them.

The only repairs I've made that aren't regular maintenance are the ICE water pump
    and the HID leveling sensor.

It's been consuming a quart of oil every 3500 miles in the summer and 4500 miles in the winter. Haven't noticed any increase in consumption since 150K miles.

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? No
    2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery? No
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid? Yes - 25K miles ago and at 120K miles before that
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? No
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 47.4
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use?
    Every 5K miles with Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Ultra/Platinum
    7) How about post a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO?
    You'll just have to trust me on this.

11. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. priusevo

priusevo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    270K guessing the display go dead often lately going to recall soon to fix(free) gotta love it!

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? NO!

2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery? Yes at about 180K
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid? yes need to do it again
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? NO ORGINAL!!!
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 50ish Summer and Winter 55 Fall and Spring
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use? Amsoil ever 15K
    7) How about post a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO? Soon

usbseawolf2000 and ewxlt66 like this.
  13. sekhawk

sekhawk New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought my 2004 used in 2010 with 105k miles. I paid $8900 for it, and it has already paid for itself more than 3x over compared to the cost of fueling up the Yukon XL I traded for it. I love this car, and am heading towards 300k with it now!
    1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? No
    2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery? Yes, 196k
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid? Nope
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? Yes, 171k
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 43.9
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use? I change it between 5k and 8k, not particular about brand.
    7) Pics:
    199999.jpg 200000.jpg

14. rmsmith1977

rmsmith1977 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1) No
    2) Yes, Optima Yellow top
    3) No
    4) Yes at 185K
    5) I'd guess 45ish
    6) 7000 mi Valvoline high mileage 5w30
    7)[​IMG]

15. dptierney

dptierney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For those '05 owners in the 200K + group I have a tail of woe for you. My 05 has 211K on it and was just serviced at the dealer. Yesterday the check engine light came on. I have seen this a few times before when the oil dropped low so I pulled over to check it. Using a facial tissue I wiped the dip stick, re-inserted it and then looked. No oil showed. I called the dealer and had it towed in. They called me this morning to say in fact that there was oil in it and that is is so crystal clear that I just could tell it was there. Right. I am not a certified mechanic but I have rebuilt engines and transmissions on several cars in my life. Oil changes are of course common in my repertoire. So after some "conversation" I asked what was the problem. I was told that the wiring harness is corroding and that there just happens to be another '05 in the shop with the same issue. I live in Ocean County, NJ my whole life and I have never known anyone to have a car whose wiring harness corroded in less that 8 years and with 211K miles on it.

Has anyone else heard of this being a common issue for the '05s? The Toyota dealer is saying when the harness goes it will be $6,00 to replace it.

16. dptierney

dptierney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    to answer the original questions:
    1) Did you replace the HV battery pack? NO
    2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery? NO
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid? YES
    4) Did you replace the brake pads? YES
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? 46
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use? Lifetime oil changes at the dealer so every 5K miles

17. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My VW Jetta went through 2 wiring harness, plus a lot of other stuff. What happened to your oil?:)

SCH-I535 ? 2

18. dptierney

dptierney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I checked it the oil level was no showing on the dip stick. They said that I just didn't see it because it was crystal clear. BS I say. I have changed the oil on all but my Prius since I was 9 years old. I have never seen crystal clear oil. Even synthetic. I will be getting a second opinion if the check engine light comes back on again.
    Sorry to hear about your Jetta. I was thinking about a new Jetta TDI.

jgilliam1955 likes this.
  19. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yea the new jetta dsg transmission has a cost of $600 maintanance every 40k miles. VW I like them but the up keep is high. I looked at a Passat tdi but the prius was a better deal cost wise.

SCH-I535 ? 2

20. cawooddog

cawooddog Junior Member

Our 2004 Prius (package 6 - loaded mostly) just turned 202,000 in its 9th year in Vermont. Results so far:
    1) Never replaced HV battery pack.
    2) Replaced the 12v lead-acid battery.
    3) Replace the hybrid transaxle fluid?
    4) Replace the brake pads and occasional rotors.
    5) Lifetime MPG around 45mpg (lots of hills in VT)
    6) Oil change ever 3k or so.....5-30wt nothing special
    7) No photo of the ODO...sorry.
    8) Burns or leaks some oil...about 1 quart every 3k miles)
    9) Muffler replaced
    10) Two or 3 wheel bearings replaced
    11) Water pump replaced on recall

Otherwise, trouble-free..just replace worn-out bits such as brakes, muffler, wheel bearings. Great car. We would buy another one! This one will get driven into the dust ....we'll keep it.