1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

200,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Jan 3, 2009.

1. maximusdec

maximusdec Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a feeling cars from the north east and cold nice person climates, do a lot better in terms of battery longevity. Mine was bought from NJ and am at 200K miles with original battery. Looking to squeeze another 50K out of her. Only bad thing about cars from there is the damn rust. My suspensions just look nasty with all the rust. I have had the muffler pipe just snap in half because it was rusted. I am in CA and car shops here are fearful to touch the suspension, lol. They have never seen rust or something. I just do my suspension work myself.

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No.

3. JEK

JEK New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is something that fails if you are lucky enough to get to very high mileage.

4. Jacob Lawson

Jacob Lawson New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently purchased a blue 2005 Prius. I love the car so much. So far, nothing has gone wrong and I've driven nearly 4,000 miles. As far as I know, the Nickel-metal hydride battery was replaced once, but there is no record of when it was replaced. It has 209,000 miles on it. I need to check the CVT fluid and make sure that isn't a weird color.

Chodronish and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  5. balletgirl1980

balletgirl1980 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I just purchased a generation II 2009 Prius touring with 203,807 miles. It is the newest car we own. Replacing our 2005 Honda Odyssey that had the transmission let go with 193K miles.

jm98, CoastRider and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  6. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    2006 Prius, red, reached 222,222 miles yesterday morning

Replaced 12-volt battery, did not replace traction battery
    Definitely replaced brake pads
    I think the hybrid transaxle fluid was replaced once
    Oil changes every 5,000 miles 222222.jpg

cwerdna likes this.
  7. AnneLW

AnneLW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    New to these forums (or at least haven't been on in about six years).

Our 2004 has 258,000 miles on it with the original hybrid battery. We live in the desert and have never parked it in a garage or even a carport so I don't think climate made a dirfference. I think keeping up with the recommended maintenance schedule did.

The only truly major issue we had was a failure of the instrument panel at 160,000. Fortunately Toyota retroactively extended the warranty on that part and reimbursed us.

Unfortunately it probably won't make 300,000 or even 275,000 because the rest of the car is falling apart. The rear windows don't go down any more (and at $500 each and not having any kids to ride in the back we left it that way). We've driven too many rocky dirt roads and parts of the underside are attached by wires. The rear spoiler got wobbly and noisy from those same roads but got fixed by double-sided sticky tape. Etc.

8. AnneLW

AnneLW Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    IT LIVES !!!! (for now).

Needed a new auxilliary battery. The first one lasted seven years and 200K miles while the second one lasted about six years and 60K miles. The dealer suggested it failed earlier because we were driving it less (only 30-50 miles per week for the past few months) or maybe it was just age.

If the new battery holds its charge we'll keep the car longer until we move back to California and can buy a Prime.

Chodronish and CoastRider like this.
  9. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2008 with 183k that I got at 143k and I use it to drive for Uber....I have only changed the tires and oil...It does burn oil...And I recently ordered rear shocks because I feel that it would improve the way it handles over bumps...It is not horrible, not bad really at all, just a little squeaky! I was told about changing the trans fluid so might do that at same time as rear shocks. As far as I know it is original 12V battery, hybrid battery, trans/motor, etc. When I first got it a check engine light popped up and I believe it was something related to cleaning the mass air flow sensor...I cleaned it up and so far never had any lights come back on....A few times I've gotten nails in the tires but that is really the only repair I've done in 40k miles.

I just bought a 2007 with 201k and this thing is mint. As far as I know it has original everything. The front brakes were replaced @ 190k and I had to replace the 12V battery the day I got it....Sorry I cannot report on the true history because I am too cheap (poor?) to ever buy a car that has less than about 120k on it....I will only buy used and 3-4k TOPS!!!!

I really like the gen 2s....Had several others also including a couple gen 1s.

I buy/sell cars on the side so I have had some interesting experiences...Got stuck with the nastiest lemon gen 3 Prius with 151k....I think it had a bad head gasket as it smoked from the tail pipe in the cold....Then had bad water pump...Then lost power....Took it to a Prius shop and they diagnosed it as bad inverter and bad gas engine....Picked it up and was going to take it to the auction and IT CAUGHT ON FIRE ABOUT 30 MINUTES LATER ON THE FREEWAY....Wish I took more pics but basically the bottom caught fire from whatever was dripping...and burned a couple wires and plastic covers....I was expecting a total 100% meltdown but fire stopped after about 7 minutes.

Ended up selling the piece of crap (2010 gen 3) for $400 to mechanic friend needing gas motor / inverter and probably some odds and ends....Before the fire was expecting $2000.

20170419_115756.jpg

Here is what it looked like (trust me --- looks better in pics....was in at least 3 accidents on carfax and had wavy paint that didn't look that great):
    1.jpg

My 2007 with 201k that is nearly mint and running like-new:

00i0i_lU5B0LX5FOA_1200x900.jpg 00F0F_hsj9PFslZzH_1200x900.jpg 00Y0Y_dkGtotmu2BK_1200x900.jpg 00808_3XUyEkrpple_1200x900.jpg

And here is my daily driver Uber car with 183k....but here it is at auction with 143k when I got it (less than 1 year ago)...looks about the same a little less clean:

2.jpg

10. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just hit 220K on my 06...

Purchased used from ANation dlr for 5K
    replaced 12V battery and rebuilt HV battery
    New tires @ 200K
    New KYB suspensions @ 219K

Looking at upholstery of driver and passenger seats with firm foam and generic flat seat covers (not prius specific).

[​IMG]

#590 jm98, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  11. Spartacus

Spartacus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2006 Prius just crossed the 200K mark earlier this month. It is a daily commuter, 50+ miles each day round trip in horrible Austin,Texas traffic most of the time. It has been a great vehicle for this service. My estimate is just under 50 mpg overall, better in the beginning. I've never tried to push the mileage other than occasionally putting a couple of extra PSI in the tires.

We bought it new, much less service than other ICE vehicles but still some expensive items:
    -inverter cooling pump replaced under warranty in 2013, water pump replaced at the same time, allegedly leaking. (Need to remember to check both reservoirs!). Engine tuneup and plug replacement at the same time.
    -new Optim 12V aux battery in late 2014, my Christmas present! Not bad since it was the first time replacement...
    -just bought 5th set of tires
    -stock CD player quit working about 2011, finally added an aftermarket unit with Bluetooth/etc this year
    -always used full synthetic 5W-20 oil, I usually don't change the oil until >10K miles, sometimes a lot more.
    -transaxle fluid replaced at 155k
    -the ugly part - traction battery failed at 155K. Had a local shop rebuild it - it failed again just short of 6 months, his business failed in the interim, too. Bought a reconditioned battery at 166K - seemed like a better deal at less than half the cost of OEM plus a 3 year warranty (and I wasn't sure that Toyota used new cells at the time). Replacement lasted 9 months and then threw codes for bad cells at 176K, replaced under 3 year warranty - hassle but all costs reimbursed. It has started throwing the P0A80 code, 3 times since January, but it continues to run fine, no bad cells identified yet or other clear issue.

Again, great car, if the traction battery holds I will keep commuting with it until second son finishes college in 2 years! Due for another round of coolant and fluid replacements, probably water and inverter coolant pumps as well, hope the struts hold up. Still on original brakes,

CoastRider likes this.
  12. Dustin92

Dustin92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Bought my 2004 Prius in April of 2016 with 174k and had no repairs at all between then and April of 2017 when I rolled over 200k, now at 204k and needing a battery soon, along with some exhaust work and shocks/struts but overall a great car. Now off to 299,999+ club lol...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

cwerdna, CoastRider and SnT08Prius like this.
  13. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Wife's 07 just went over 200K. Battery lasted until 185K.

cwerdna and CoastRider like this.
  14. nssdiver

nssdiver Me digging' life

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Traction or 12V?

iPhone ?

15. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Traction

cwerdna likes this.
  16. Andrea C

Andrea C New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    My car has reached 227,000 miles but the catalytic converter needs to be replaced and I'm concerned about starting to make big repairs now that the car is getting "up there". Then, I see this forum where your cars are reaching many more hundred thousand miles. How do you determine whether spending the money is smarter than putting that payment into a new vehicle?

17. BK310CH

BK310CH Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    I
    If you would be happy with getting 200,000 miles out of a car that cost you $20,000, would you be happy?

If so, then $0.10/mile, i.e., if you get 10K miles out of a $1000 repair, do it.

nssdiver likes this.
  18. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BK310CH's math idea would be good if you could guarantee you'd get a certain more number of miles from whatever repair you need. Unfortunately, cars are rarely that predictable when they get closer to 14 years and/or 200,000 miles or more. To make the decision of whether a repair is worth it to you, you need to figure out how much the car is worth to you. If the repair costs less than the car is worth to you, then do it and get the car fixed. If the repair is more than the car is worth to you, sell or donate the car and get a different one.

19. mercat68

mercat68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hit 200K this morning. Per questions by OP:

1) Did you replace the HV battery pack?
    Nope.
    2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery?
    Nope.
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid?
    Yep.
    4) Did you replace the brake pads?
    Yep, replaced original pads at about 175K
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)?
    Unsure, but guessing 45+
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use?
    Every 5K-8K miles.
    7) How about post a picture of 200,000 miles on ODO?
    Attached!

Attached Files:

SnT08Prius likes this.
  20. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Looking at brake pads at 175k - after looking over service history I was shocked to see that our Prius made the same distance on the front pads and 133k on the rears. I went over the service receipts and on line documents several times just to be sure.