1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

200,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by usbseawolf2000, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @AngelAcct Fuelly is a website that keeps track of fuel efficiency. You have to put in the information for each fuel up, it’s not automatic. The built-in Prius fuel economy meter tends to be slightly optimistic, so your Fuelly results will probably be a little lower than what your car shows.

AngelAcct likes this.
  2. AngelAcct

AngelAcct Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks so much for answering my question.
    I figured that's how it worked, you enter the data after ea. fuel-up.
    However, deep down I was "wishful" thinking, how AWESOME it would be if it was a program you could install, and then it kept track of everything automatically... Somebody should really create that program, they'd make millions+ on it! :)
    Anyway, thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

3. Christov Tenn

Christov Tenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Regarding optimistic Prius self-reckoning - my Garmin GPS unit indicates the vehicle travels generally 2 mph slower than the dashboard display. I've also noticed Fuelly MPG differs at times markedly from the MFD information. My Gen 2's an '08 with about 207,500 on the odometer. Changed 12v battery about a month ago - it was the original battery. Had the front brakes done when I got the oil changed in December shortly after buying the car. Changed cabin air filter. Toyota.com owner's website indicates recall work done. Got BluLogic aftermarket installed. Car runs great, is a pleasure to drive.

#723 Christov Tenn, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  4. Silver Pine Mica

Silver Pine Mica Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 silver pine mica Prius had 204,000 miles on it when it was totaled by hail damage last week. I was using pennzoil platinum every 5k miles. I had the brakes done at least once, and changed the serpentine belt once. I changed the transmission fluid once around 80k miles. Typically got 45mpg. The 12v battery I replaced with an Optima yellow top when it was 7 years old, and the optima was still fine 7 years later, no problems with it. Although I did get a battery minder and for a while was using that daily through an OBD port adapter, but stopped using that on this car 3.5 years ago (let sister drive it) and still no problems with the 12v. I also installed an engine block heater thanks to the instructional posts of wayne/firengineer.

I also put an optima yellow top on our 2008 prius 6 years ago and despite being drained by leaving an overhead light on at an airport that battery is also still fine after six years. I used the battery minder on it after the drain event and about once a year as preventive maintenance. But that car only has 150k miles.

For those with a plug in prius, the 12v battery is trickle charged from when it is plugged in until the charging on the traction battery stops, so if you set it on the timer to finish in the morning it will top off the 12v overnight. My 2012 PIP is still on the original OEM 12v battery in 2020 with 145k miles.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  5. phoophan

phoophan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats Sandman! You have a fantastic specimen there...

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... and that was over 11 years ago back in Jan 2009!

7. spyogenes

spyogenes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am just about to pass 400,000 km (~250,000 mi) in my silver 2004. I've only had it for the last 50,000 km but I got it for a steal ($1000 CAD) because it had been in a minor collision which dented the hood.

I've driven it ~300 km per week because I work about 35 km from where I live. I also do a decent amount of both city and backroads driving. I get ~5.2 L/100km (45 mpg), which is about half as much fuel as my previous car (Dodge Neon) could provide. With gas prices at ~$1.20-1.40 CAD/L, I estimate that I've saved about $1000 in gas per 10,000 km driven, so just about $5000 in savings since I bought the car.

And what have I done for maintenance? I got one professional oil and fluids change when I bought it. The water pump and serpentine belt needed replacements. I had the back brakes redone and front brake pads replaced. New 12V battery. I broke the rear window and had it replaced with one from a junked Prius. Regular oil top-ups. Used set of leather seat covers. I bought new spark plugs, some Seafoam, exhaust cleaner, paint and clearcoat, but haven't gotten around to using them yet. Total cost of everything I have thrown at this car: ~$2000. Buying a (used) Prius saves you $$$. Haha.

I put a two kayak racks on the roof, and I have a bike rack for the back. I'm about to put a foam bed in the back seat for a two-person road trip (replacing the kayak racks temporarily with roof storage). Would love to hear about your outdoor adventures in your Prii!

BLNT and Frijjj like this.
  8. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is this a thread for Gen 2 Prius with LESS than 200,000 miles?;) They are getting to be kinda rare.

Between family and friends I'm keeping 15 Prius on the road. These are all people that will call me when something goes wrong with their car.
    It does not bury me. Most of them are running with my rebuilt batteries.

Raytheeagle and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  9. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five

10. donzoh1

donzoh1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    If I'm rehabbing a 205K Gen 2, do I become an automatic member if I can get the thing running?

Mambo Dave likes this.
  11. BLNT

BLNT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got back from a hiking trip in Europe. Visited Slovenia from Hungary and I got a 5l/100 km as average. With 3 people, luggages, 1200 km trip, AC on. Mostly on highway, driving up down huge mountains and 20% being on B roads. I think that is an excellent figure.

Frijjj and VFerdman like this.
  12. Stewy13

Stewy13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----Canada----
    Two years ago I bought a used 2008 at ~194,000 miles and currently I'm at ~215,000.
    As of writing: it's not my daily driver, that would be the 2016 Kia Soul EV I bought used last summer. I kept my Prius as I figure I can't get much for it, I like it, and it's a great second car to have for things like longer road trips or hauling lots of cargo. Sadly in its current state it's not road worthy but I'm hoping to fix that - hence the end of my longtime lurker career to get some help.

The 7 Q's
    As I'm not the original owner I'm unaware of whether or not the HV battery pack was ever serviced, had cells replaced or balanced. I do know that the 12v battery was replaced before I bought it, and after.. It seems like it has a 12v gremlin that comes and goes so after I replaced the 12v battery and still had issues, I just bought and installed a 12v battery charger/maintainer and never had issues again.

Several repairs need to be done to my car, and in the process I plan on changing the transaxle fluid. The maintenance records exist but are a mess, so I've no idea when it was last changed. Brakes on the front were changed as soon as I bought it, but IIRC the rear was not. Lifetime MPG is N/A, but I seem to average 6.5L/100km at highway speeds.

I don't have a set oil change interval or preferred brand. At first I was set on every ~7000km but after an left turn event which gave me the triangle of death briefly and learning that it was due to low oil, I've made sure to change it before 5,000km and keep a quart in the hatch just in case. As a note, keeping an eye on the oil level would be easier BUT for the life of me I'm unable to ever get a clear OIL LEVEL IS THIS reading from the dipstick - cold or hot.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Read when the oil is cold. Look at the side of the dipstick that faces forward when it is in place. Pull the dipstick, wipe it off and leave it out for 2 or 3 mins then put the dipstick back in place for 10 secs then remove.

#733 dolj, Jun 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    AzusaPrius, Stewy13 and VFerdman like this.
  14. Moh230

Moh230 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Upgrade
    1) Did you replace the HV battery pack?
    I bought the car at 231k km in March 2018, I got my HV battery "rebuilt" ($600 CAD) at around 280k km. The car is almost at 200k miles. I am at 315k km(195k miles)
    2) Did you replace the 12v lead-acid battery? Never changed it
    3) Did you replace the hybrid transaxle fluid?
    Never changed it
    4) Did you replace the brake pads?
    Never replaced brake pads, they still have some life left on them
    5) Your lifetime MPG (if available)? Aproximately 5.8-6.4 litre/100km
    6) How often do you change your oil? What brand / product did you use? Around 4-5km. I use casteol edges synthetic that's supposed to lessen oil burning. Working pretty good so far. No top ups anymore
    Only thing I had done was a coolant hose broke off easy fix just needed to get a new hose clamp. Brackets that hold the muffler were rotting, so muffler came off, I have a temp fix. Placed a exhaust pipe and clamped the muffler back on.

Frijjj likes this.
  15. Retsukowind

Retsukowind Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I got my 2006 Toyota Prius with 195,034 miles, changed the front brake pads , 12v battery, toyota ws fluid, new led headlight bulbs, 3 way water valve. It still runs great with with no mechanical issue, I do recommend to change the oil more frequently though (every 3,000 miles as opposed to the manufacturer’s recommended 5,000 miles) as higher mileage engines burn a little oil. Now I reached 200,000 miles without any issues. IMG_20201002_111929.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Giantjosh and cwerdna like this.
  16. StingerGT

StingerGT New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    New here and just crossed 224k miles. Bought it about a month ago when it had 221k. Since it has gotten colder, the combo meter went out almost entirely now. Had that replaced today, put a new battery it two weeks ago, and it running great. TPMS sensor on but no tires are low on air. I can live with one warning sign. All the others can stay unlit LOL

Cool little car. I drive 100 mi round trip for work and a PA run once a month from Ohio. Should average about 2500 miles/month and this is a great car to do it in. Hopefully lasts for awhile

Roaming2020 and Retsukowind like this.
  17. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I joined this forum because my daughter has a 2007. She bought it around 200,000 miles from the original owner who is a Toyota salesman. He is clueless to the mechanics of a vehicle so this vehicle was always serviced at his place of work and I have the Carfax that shows it. Right now it sits just over 288,000 miles and still runs like a champ. I am quite impressed how solid this car is.

1) HV battery pack has never been replaced.
    2) Original 12v lead-acid battery with a 2007 date code on it was just replaced this past summer. Sucker lasted 13 years.
    3) Hybrid transaxle fluid was replaced by me this past summer.
    4) Brake pads have been replaced by not by us?
    5) Lifetime MPG is roughly 45.
    6) She's been having the oil changed by a mechanic every 5000 miles. I'm gonna move it to 10 Kmi.
    7) I'd post a pic of the ODO but its too much work LOL.

Frijjj, VFerdman and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  18. MilkyWay

MilkyWay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    U are telling me u have a 300k mile Prius that doesn't burn oil? Hmmmm....Mine started disappearing around 170k miles.

At 260k miles now and engine will be running on 1/2 quart to 1 quart if I try to go 3000 miles without checking....Will be nothing on dipstick at about 2000 miles.

I'm assuming you check and see that the oil level has not decreased so much as a millimeter at the 5000 mile interval? That is really shocking.

19. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ya no oil loss. That's not very shocking to me. I have a 2005 Accord and a 1994 Suburban and neither one loses oil. It's why I've kept them. The Prius' oil still looks brand new after 5000 miles. This is the first car I've ever seen who's oil is still the color of honey and not black after 100 miles of driving.

nssdiver and Frijjj like this.
  20. Heather Collister

Heather Collister New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a Gen 2 Prius with 284,000 miles on it. (single owner) I drove it new off the lot in 2007. Still is original break pads on it! I am not a car expert but learned from my family to always change my oil. I’ve had an oil change every 5k miles ever since I bought it.
    Some things have stopped working on it however I am still driving it and now using it for Lyft/Uber in my free time.

Things I have replaced:

Hybrid battery at 150k
    4 water pumps
    Fuses for display tv screen and tires
    Radiator fluid
    Break fluid
    Headlights and headlight bulbs

Things that do not work anymore:

Aux jack inside center console
    ABS actuator (failing)
    Cadilityc converter (failing)
    Door lock actuator on drivers side

I am on here because I need some advice on whether I should keep and repair the car or if I should sell it. I am supposed to be getting a Honda passed down to me from my mom.

My main concern about keeping this car is that the cady is going out and I live in CA so they are expensive to replace because they have to be CA compliant and there is no aftermarket for that. Also, I have never changed the transmission fluid and it is now at over 200k. (I never knew I had to change it) but it’s not causing any problems yet. Also, the car burns oil in between changes which had led me to switch to synthetic blend oil about a year ago. Lastly, the ABS actuator is out and it makes noise at times however it is still drivable. I had 2 mechanics refuse the job to replace the actuator because it’s too labor intensive. (I guess you have to remove the inverter to get to it). Does anyone have advice for me on these things? Any info would help :)