1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

$200 Throttle body service

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by techno-Zen, Jun 9, 2014.

1. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a problem with this whole "shitty gas" thing. Gas comes into San Diego via pipeline and it all goes to the same storage facility by Qualcom Stadium where a truck comes, fills up and delivers to the local stations. I've seen the same truck deliver to Arco, Shell, Texaco, Costco, USA, and the local independent. So, can someone tell me which stations have shitty gas and which stations have good gas?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I generally go to "top tier" stations because their tanks and pumps are usually in better working order, their restrooms are a little nicer and they usually have a better selection of coffee and gedunk.

The gas?
    It might have some additional additives that will help a ICE get to 510,000 miles instead of only 500,000 miles but that's about it. Mostly it's a "six" versus "half dozen" argument.

As far as the MAFS and Throttle Body?
    They do need to be serviced....and usually it should be looked into somewhere around the 100-120,000 mile mark depending on where you live and how often you change out your air filter.
    If you live or drive on gravel roads or you never change your filters or you use a K$N filter???
    They're going to get dirty a LOT faster.

Here's the thing.
    I firmly believe in paying people a fair wage.
    Mechanics are worth north of $50 an hour if they're good, and a good one can have the TB yanked, cleaned, and re-installed PROPERLY in about an hour. Add a little profit margin for the dealer and this is easily worth $100.

The thing is, how many TOYOTA dealerships are performing a proper TB cleaning????
    PS: I'm not talking about the "spray and pray" method, or the bottle of snake oil that they may (or may not!) be putting in your tank!

I'm not a good mechanic.
    I'm not even that good at the phone gig, but I can clean a Mass Air Flow Sensor in about 15 minutes, and I can do a TB in a couple of hours with about $100 worth of Craftsman tools and some fiber-optic cleaner.

Time is money.
    Use the mechanic if you think they're necessary.

Just educate yourself about what is being done, and WHY.

Good Luck!

3. Olivia G

Olivia G New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2017 Prius 2 and was told on my last maintenance at the local Toyota dealership that I should consider a throttle body flush on my next service, as well as, a couple of other services I can't remember at the moment. However, after reading this thread I'm a little concerned. My car just hit 25,000 miles but all of those who are familiar with this service (in this thread) have said 50-65,000 miles or more before electing to do the throttle body flush. This is my third Prius but my first time hearing about this service. Obviously, I need to learn more about the mechanics of my vehicle but I'm curious, should I be concerned about my vehicle? Or do you think this is something the dealership is trying to encourage for their benefit? Also, if I were to do this myself, will it void out the warranty? Any thoughts? I generally like to rely on professionals to maintain my vehicle but I also don't mind saving big chunks of money.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    NutzAboutBolts and mikey_t like this.
  5. wheezyglider

wheezyglider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not any kind of pro but your dealer shouldn't even be peeking at your throttle body, especially at 25K. And they didn't. It's just easy money and they should be ashamed. (But it's increasingly common that the service center is a profit center, and it's the weakest link in the Toyota experience IMO.) OK I got mad, but seriously, it's beyond a joke that they even suggested TB service at 25K.

mikey_t likes this.
  6. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that's indubitably the reason they recommended it. Beware of crooked dealers!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Olivia G

Olivia G New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! It seemed strange to me but the confirmation from each of you is helpful!

CR94 likes this.