1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 (classic) starting problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by walkinghat, Mar 7, 2007.

1. walkinghat

walkinghat Junior Member

Before I buy a new 12Volt battery as a test, I'd like to see if anyone has had this issue.

The car occasionallyy when cold will make a clicking sound not unlike a solenoid will click in a conventional vehicle when the battery is dead. The sound is fromn the front end when the ignition is turned to start. There are no panel lights at this point. Stop, remove key and retry and it will work on the 2'nd or 3'rd try.

My theory is a weak 12V battery? Does that battery have to power up a solenoid of any particular amperage to engage computer or the traction battery?

It has a spanking new traction battery from Toyota warranty at 113K a year ago, the 12Volt is original.

Coincidentally we have also had the issue where you have to override the gear handle with the manual button under the stearing column. To put it back in park before it will start.

Thanks

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wait, *which* Prius do you have? 01 or 07 or both

Probably the classic just needs a new 12 volt. I have not heard of the contacts getting dirty on the shift lever contacts but no reason why that could not happen. Do me a favor, just slide it though all its settings about 20 times when nobody is looking. Else they might laugh.

Do you know how to check your '12 volt' battery with the secret display screen?

3. walkinghat

walkinghat Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Mar 7 2007, 09:51 PM) [snapback]402012[/snapback]</div>
    We have one of each 01 and 07 (135K and 2K).

NO! I've not heard of the secret display screen, searched the forum didn't find it yet. It must be secret!
    :)

Thanks!

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walkinghat @ Mar 7 2007, 05:00 PM) [snapback]401919[/snapback]</div>
    Everything you describe is consistent with a weak 12 VDC. Most autoshops will test the battery for no charge.

As for replacement batteries, Toyota prices are a little steep. There are Miata battery kits that can cut the price in half. Some of us are also looking at and testing batteries designed originally for motorcycles and utility vehicles that are in the $25-35 range.

Bob Wilson