1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001, Engine Vibration (missing badly), Flashing CEL

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by DaveGoodrich, Sep 26, 2019.

1. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Thanks Ron.

I don't need to release the fuel pressure somehow, or will it be low enough after sitting for a while?

2. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think the threads say to, but I never have. It just pops and spews a little fuel when you pull it off - I have a rag and use the little bit of spill to clean around there.

SFO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    when you pull out the injectors check the intake side for a film of light brown scale. mine was covering the holes. I scraped the scale off with a small screw driver. (jeweler screw driver) when putting them back in check the o-rings for cracks. put a little grease on the o-ring before sliding it in the fuel rail. make sure the injector is slid all the way in the rail first, then carefully insert the intake side starting with cylinder 4 (closer to trans). obviously clean any dirt out of the holes.

SFO likes this.
  4. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That "real simple" is hilarious ronlewis

5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hmm, not sure what you mean, but it really can be done in 30 minutes with a screwdriver and ratchet by anyone.

6. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fuel line is behind the back of the engine just above the exhaust. remove at your own risk. 20191023_174022.jpg 20191023_164222.jpg 20191023_165101.jpg If you take off the relay box just above the valve cover you will have enough room to disconnect the fuel line. Push in the two grey tabs and pull the fuel line off the metal fuel line coming from the fire wall and fuel tank/pump. I then put a 5/16" fuel filter into the fuel line with the two grey releases. For fun make sure the arrow (flow) is pointing toward the engine (the fuel line with the grey releases) I used a FF686DL fuel filter. (Pic 1) Put on a short 5/16" fuel line, clamp both ends. put the compression tester on the other end of this short hose. Put a longer 5/16" fuel line on the other side. This side connects to the fire wall metal fuel line. see pictures... It is easier with the wiper assembly removed (Pic 3). You can see my fuel pressure was about 48psi. The fuel pump does not turn on until the engine begins to turn by the HV starter MG1. I have other pictures of the fuel injector removal. want to see?

7. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got injector seals from Auto Zone. GP Sorensen part # 800-9284. There is an extra seal in this kit you wont need.

Air cleaner removed.
    20191023_165202.jpg
    Put a sock in the air breather hole so nothing falls in.
    20191023_180952.jpg
    now is a good time to use compressed air and remove any loose debris from around the injectors so it doesn't fall into the intake when you remove the injectors.

disconnect injector wires.

loosen two 12 mm hex head bolts (previous picture)

20191023_165409.jpg

lift fuel rail and remove injectors from rail.

check old o-rings and intake side seals. I replaced mine they were all cracked.

Lightly grease the fuel rail o-ring. Make sure the injector is lightly greased on other end also. There are notches on the fuel rail that make it easier to re-install the injector if you line them up.
    20191023_180833.jpg

These replacement intake seals are easier to put in the intake (head) first then line up the injector for cylinder 4, 3, 2 and then 1. Move each injector up and down when you think you have them in place, while putting slight downward pressure on the fuel rail. if they are in correctly they will move up and down and not fall out. the first time I did this injector 1 and 2 leaked like crazy. Re-install the fuel rail bolts when you are sure the injectors will slide up and down a little.

remove sock!!! and re-install air breather, vacuum hose, and map sensor connector.

Attached Files:

#47 Q*bertZ, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  8. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, all that work to post how to check fuel pressure and swap injectors and none of it showed up. oops, I had to click page three. shazam!, there it is.

#48 Q*bertZ, Oct 23, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  9. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got injector seals from Auto Zone. GP Sorensen part # 800-9284. There is an extra seal in this kit you wont need.

20191023_213911.jpg

10. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, by the way.....

I pre-filled my inline fuel filter with Supertech fuel injector cleaner ($0.97 at walmart) and let my car clean my injectors for me. Of course, this wont work if your fuel pump isn't working. When you do this be prepared for you engine to sound like it is ready to fall apart while the fuel line fills with fuel.

There is also a fuel line connection just under the passenger side (back right door). It has a red retainer clip. Remove the red clip and the compression tester (and fuel filter) could be inserted here. The plastic line (with red retainer) comes from the gas tank. the metal line goes to the engine.

11. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Wow Q*bertZ, thanks for the helpful information and pics. My injectors are supposed to be here tomorrow afternoon. Probably won't be able to do anything on it until Saturday though. The injectors I'm buying have the o-rings, but I will buy that seal kit to get the other seals.

12. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Got the injectors yesterday, so I was able to install them today at lunch. It went just like Q*bertZ's instructions/photos. Pretty easy really. It runs well again. With a new MAF, coils, plugs and injectors, you would think it would be fixed, but I haven't had a chance to drive it around much, so we'll see if I have actually solved the problem. Other than the plugs, I think all of those parts had 378,000 miles on them, so I don't feel too bad about "throwing parts at the problem," especially since the parts really weren't that expensive. If I get back and forth to work a few times next week without the bad miss returning, I'll feel a lot better. If the miss comes back, my next step will be to verify the fuel pressure with a setup like Q*bertZ showed.

Thanks for the help ron and Q*bertZ

13. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Great news! I'm not usually right - my track record of screwing cars up proves that - so it's nice to have been this time. Maybe I'll have better luck with my own cars!

14. czunit

czunit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Replace coil packs. Mine started to go at 220k miles and since I replaced them I have no more misfires and no more P0420 cat errors.

15. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

So far, so good. It made it into the office this morning without issues. But don't congratulate yourself too soon Ron, I have been fooled into thinking I had this issue fixed previously, only to have the bad miss return. It only has a total of about 6 miles on it since I replaced the injectors, so we'll see if its really fixed as I make more trips to/from the metro.

czunit - I already replaced both the coils and the plugs, and the issue wasn't fixed. Now I have also replaced the injectors. Hopefully that will do it.

16. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'm congratulating myself because my advice didn't make it worse, lol! This forum hasn't had the opportunity to witness my "expertise" at it's best yet; just that one incident of me screwing up the threads on my half-axle because I didn't understand what it meant to "unstake" the nut. On the other hand, my exploits on the Ford Diesel forums are legendary. Blew up the engine in one truck by leaving the cap off the degas (coolant) bottle before driving several hundred miles. And they still laugh about the time I replaced my power steering pump but left the black plug on the new intake tube (it was dark under the truck) and installed the line over the top of it. Even the dealer couldn't figure that one out when I took it in - told me it must be an out-of-box failure on the pump. Took it home and pulled the pump off to find that plug. Worked fine without it, lol. The dealer hadn't charged me anything, but I felt guilty and went back up there and gave them $100 for wasting their time. I may be BoneHead, but I have integrity, lol.

There's so many more examples. I suppose I should be ashamed and not tell anyone, but I learn from my mistakes and try not to make them twice.

SFO and WHCSC like this.
  17. Q*bertZ

Q*bertZ Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Make sure you don't have the rusted fill tube problem. A rusted fill tube lets water is the gas when it rains through a rust hole near the inside of the back right fender. The car will run fine if you put dry gas in and then sometimes run bad again....

SFO likes this.
  18. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

Being that the car lives in sunny SoCal, I doubt I have that issue. No rust whatsoever on this car. But I will definitely check it out if the problem returns. Thanks,

19. DaveGoodrich

DaveGoodrich Member

So far, so good. Two round trips to the office and the bad miss hasn't returned.

It may be time to do the necessary repairs to actually put this car back on the road in full time service: new struts all around, a new windshield, fix the AC, and figure out why my headlights are so dim (not just cloudy). I'd love to get it to 1/2 million miles, but I'll never get there driving 9 miles round trip 3 or 4 days a week.

20. czunit

czunit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sorry Dave I was reading this on a mobile device and didn't get all of it. Good to know though, I'll plan to replace the fuel injectors at the next sign of rough engine running......