1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius A/C Recharge

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by TwoPriusInTenn, Apr 29, 2018.

1. TwoPriusInTenn

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Needing a refrigerant recharge in our 2001 Prius. Anything special I need to know about a Gen 1? I have successfully recharged the A/C in our 2004 and 2010. I've heard Gen 1 is a little different. Any input is appreciated.

#1 TwoPriusInTenn, Apr 29, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
  2. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you assured yourself that a refrigerant recharge is what's needed? If the water pump/AC drive belt slips, or if the AC drive clutch clips, the AC will not be particularly effective. The remedy is the check for cracks/wear in the AC drive belt, and either clean, adjust or replace the AC drive clutch. If you have a "blink" code from the AC LED in the car, give these two items a look at first, before going the refrigerant route. There are other threads which discuss the "blinking AC" signal, and its remedy.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By now a Gen 1 is 15, 16, 17 years old. I'm pretty sure if you show me one that isn't ready for its A/C clutch to be adjusted, it'll be one that's already had it done. The shim kit costs a buck and it's a ten minute job, if you have a dial indicator.

Replacing the clutch is a more involved, $200 alternative to a buck and a ten minute job.

-Chap