1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 prius battery fan questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by statultra, Aug 7, 2007.

1. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well, im wondering from people that live in hot climates about how often the battery fan operates?

i just moved to southwest florida and im not used to driving the prius in hot climates, my battery fan operates continously after about 10 minutes of driving in 90+ degree weather, is this normal??

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Aug 7 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]491905[/snapback]</div>
    I do not notice my 2001 running the fan continously, but I drive to minimize battery use. Some basic questions. Do you run the A/C? What kind of driving do you do? (Short stop and go trips or long cruises?) What kind of MPG are you getting? More info in = better answer out.

3. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i do long runs about 40 minute highway driving, about 10 minutes into it the fan comes out full speed all the way untili reach destination, the odd thing is the mpg im getting 57 mpg, on a 01 prius, its weird to me because when im cruising at 50 my current mpg on the screen ( looking at green bars ) is roughly 70 mpg, my sisters prius didnt get close tothis, its kinda weird id say.

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Aug 8 2007, 09:20 AM) [snapback]492320[/snapback]</div>
    That is unusual. My '01 got 55 mpg on the last tank, so it is capable of this with moderate driving. However, the fan coming on full tilt does not make sense. Highway cruising is not cycling the battery very much. Make absolutely sure that nothing is covering the battery air intakes behind the passenger seats. (The intakes look like small speakers.) Now when the fan is on, feel how much air is coming out the exhaust. It should be really significant. If not, the fan might be coming on due to blockage.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(statultra @ Aug 7 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]491905[/snapback]</div>
    I've just come back from running hundreds of miles in the 90's with my top grill blocked. Fan has yet to start.

6. statultra

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this prius was the one we made a charger for and charged it up to start it ( the main battery was way below 40 % soc and wouldnt allow the car to start ) during this i noticed corrosion on the battery terminals ( before we proceeded to charge ) and im thinking maybe this came back and as a result heats up the terminal or battery ? im not sure but i will take out the battery cover and take a look

btw jimn do u work for IBM?