1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Battery Fire

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Mr Camouflage, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2001 Prius Battery Fire *Updated* Looking for some parts

Hello everybody.

Recently I bought a 2001 Prius with the intention of bringing it back to life. There was evidence of a fire in the boot, with melted bits of plastic on the battery. Car would still start, then display dash warnings. Understandably I didn't let it run very long, due to the battery issue.

The vent tube on the right side of the battery had melted, and so had some of the plastic boot trim, and the back of the rear seat is charred.

I finally had some time to open up the battery on the weekend and found that the fire was on the left side of the battery near the ECU. Looks like the last cell closest to the ECU has caught fire, and the heat caused the vent pipe on the right to melt.

Here's a photo of the damage. I see that there are a couple of posts of this happening before with 2001 prius's.

I still want to fix it, so am considering replacement options. I'm in Australia, so replacement a replacement battery would probably have to be a new one from Toyota, or try to replace the damaged cells from this one. Though I'm not too sure of the salvageability of the other internal parts that would need to be swapped into the new battery.

Since the car would still start, I assume that means the battery ECU is still good?

Attached Files:

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say that is a bad assumption. It is possible that a fault in the traction battery ECU caused the battery fire.

Even if that were not the case, being in close proximity to a module on fire would not promote the reliability of that very important component.

If you are serious about restoring the car, I suggest that you plan to replace the traction battery ECU along with all other components within the battery case.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Finally had a chance to take a closer look at the battery. Cell number 1 appears to have arced to the case, melting half the post nut - welding it to the battery post, melting a hole in the case, and leaving lots of black soot over the wiring. Somehow this also melted the vent tube at the other end of the battery.

Cell 1 was reading about 1 volt lower than cell 2, the rest of the battery cells were all about the same as cell 2. I have some replacement cells already, but now need a few bits to put it back together.

If anyone can help me out with the parts I need, send me a PM.

I require:
    * The large wire that joins cell one to the System Main Relay.
    * The thin gauge wire loom that has connectors to every other cell and plugs into the battery computer.
    * The temp sensor loom.
    * The white vent pipe from the end of battery.

Also it would be nice to have another Battery computer, just in case mine is faulty.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a batery cell caused a fire? and you can still start the car?
    then i dont think the HV battery is the cause of the fire because its stil working
    there was A fire what damages part of the battery case and plastic parts

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe the battery shorted out because of debris left, ( A WRENCH, Aluminum foil) and then the casing put back on?? It looks like much of the damage was carbon and not a full raging fire. With one shorted, low voltage cell this would make sense. I say go ahead and tackle the job. Bob Wilsons posts are a very good source for cell replacement. Google: cell replacement and all kinds of posts will pop up. Good Luck.
    :cheer2:

6. Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I already have replacement cells. I just need the wiring that was damaged by the short and the brief fire. I have an ad up in the private sales section for the parts I require.

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This same Tech, Bob Wilson often has sensing wires etc. He collects cells and experiments with the HV cells, send him a personal post.

8. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you already replaced cells? maybe that's Wy it happend. did you balance the cells? if one would discharge to low it could reverse polarity is what I hear

9. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Is this a NHW10 or NHW 11 Prius? Big difference in whether you want to bother or are able to source the parts to repair it.

The NHW10 was the Japan only version built 1997-2001. The NHW11 was the similar looking, but different version sold officially in most of the rest of the World from 2001-2003/4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius_(XW10)

10. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    looking at the pic its a 11

11. Flying White Dutchman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    the 10 got cylindrical cells

12. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's true BUT a fire in the HV pack is so rare as to be almost unheard of. I was wondering if he'd try to install an 11 pack in a 10 - hence the fire.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Unfortunately With a DC HV supply once an electrical arc has started it will not stop, with an AC supply the voltage goes down to zero twice in every cycle witch will tend self exstingwish the arc.

14. Mr Camouflage

Mr Camouflage New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's all stock standard NHW11. The short happened before I got the car.

15. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Last year I helped a customer near Berkeley replace a pack in an 02 Prius that had a similar battery fire....the pack was never touched by anyone other than the dealer, but at around 120k miles the battery caught fire, melted rear seat etc.

After fire distinguished car still drove fine, but smelled "smokey".

We replaced pack with a rebuilt pack, replaced/cleaned upholstery and car has been running fine for over 6 months. I think it was a factory defect that caused high resistance and high heat buildup in the battery box.

1 person likes this.