1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 prius(blown head gasket)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ChrisPDXPrius2001, Mar 11, 2023.

1. ChrisPDXPrius2001

ChrisPDXPrius2001 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Here is the deal. My 2001 Prius has a blown head gasket. The mechanic found hyrdocarbon in the coolant. I have experienced misfires in cylinder 1 and 4. I had the ignition coil 1 and 4 replaced along with all spark plugs at the end of November 2022. I am slowly burning coolant, but at least my car is not overheating. He did not recommended that I replaced the head gasket due to age and mileage of my car(currently sitting at 258k). Car is starting to slightly misfire again and check engine light came on last night. It's still drives, but albeit a little rough at the moment.

My question to y'all is, for a last ditch effort, do you recommend a good head gasket sealer that I could try to extend the life of my car before I just give up on it and send it to the junkyard. It's obviously not worth the money to replace the head gasket or replace the engine. As far as I am aware the oil is not mixing with the coolant. My tags are good until Jan 2024. So, I don't need to worry about passing inspection for awhile.

What you guys think? Blue Devil, Bar's Leak? Or just keep driving it as is, replacing coolant as needed, until it finally dies.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    1NZ is still used in today's Prius C. The make a hi HP rally edition of this engine . They are also relatively inexpensive engines so and plentiful so price gouging shouldn't be a thing. You can try anything you want as far as sealers goes it sounds like your head gasket is very minimal so they're all kinds of sealers you could try and if you do it in moderation and don't try to flood the thing with sealer that is you could probably get it to hold off for a while whatever I'm guessing the car doesn't warrant an engine replacement as it has other problems interior age all of that maybe you can't bring yourself to put money in something so old I get it no problem You could just get an old Corolla and run to 500,000 and get about 13 miles to the gallon less but none of the headaches per se.

3. Stock808

Stock808 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Try K-Seal, little blue/orange bottle. Around $15.

upload_2023-3-13_7-9-10.png
    I used it on a Toyota Yaris years ago, It managed to keep it going for another 4 years, probably longer if I hadn't traded it in at a dealership. Who knows it might be still good till this day.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes that's the brand I'm talking about .my BG guy gave me 2 bottles. Just found it this AM cleaning up . It's about 4 yrs old never used 2 bottles

5. ChrisPDXPrius2001

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Right on. Thanks for the replies.

I drove up to AutoZone and bought the K-Seal. My question before I use it is do I remove the radiator cap and pour it in there or do I pour it into the coolant reservoir? The instructions on the bottle only says "pour into where you normally add coolant". I've seen conflicting info doing research online so just wanted to ask. Since my leak is very small do you think using 1/4 of the bottle is a good idea?

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Look the stuff up online see if they have a website with any videos or anything you can look at My worry here is that it's going to be tough to get the Prius nice and hot which I think most of these sealers like that to be a thing initially I could be wrong but generally I would think they would want you to be able to get up to some kind of decent temperature and in the recent weather we're having here in the southeast that takes a little bit of doing at least in my Gen 2 I'm not sure about a Gen 3 but it takes a minute to get them warm and then you want to get it into the system as quickly as possible so adding it to a radiator jug or a degas bottle or whatever you're going to call it. Seems not the thing to do but it looks like it might be your only option in some cars. If I had to do something like that I would take it out for a heck of a drive right after I put that stuff in to get it circulating and heading to the leak probably give it an hour's worth of driving something like that

7. ChrisPDXPrius2001

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I am doing the K-Seal treatment right now following this guide I found online. I will post updates.

I put my car in "inspection" mode to keep the engine running continuously and I am only using about 1/4 of the bottle.

Attached Files:

#7 ChrisPDXPrius2001, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  8. Stock808

Stock808 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pouring into the radiator cap would have been best, also I would just have done the whole bottle. This stuff works fast.

9. ChrisPDXPrius2001

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I am going to do another cold/heat cycle. Waiting for my car to cool down. I will add a little bit into the radiator cap on the next cycle.

UPDATE

I used slightly more than half the bottle. Per the instructions on the K-Seal bottle is states to use half the bottle if your cooling system is 5 US quarts or under. The 2001 Prius coolant capacity is 5.18 US quarts.

I am continuing to run cold/heat cycles at the moment.

#9 ChrisPDXPrius2001, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  10. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, that's a new one on me: "inspection mode." The only way I know of to keep the ICE running is to have "MAX A/C" engaged. Is there another way?

11. Jakob

Jakob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, Inspection Mode is described in repair manual volume 1 in the Introduction section. It's one of those things you can activate with a bizarre sequence of operations from the driver's seat.

12. ChrisPDXPrius2001

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius

13. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Many thanks! In case I ever need to do this, now I know.

14. velosolex50

velosolex50 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used k-seal to fix some weeping core plugs in a rebuild, and it worked within seconds.
    I tried it on a daihatsu 3 cylinder with a blown head gasket, and it didnt seem to work, but after I sold it, the new owner later told me he had had no problems! Remarkable.

15. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hope this works, but if not, don't give to the dismantler without salvaging the catalytic converters assembly and hybrid battery. The rest is just scrap metal value.