1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 prius Cv axle seal replacement

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Cody89, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Cody89

Cody89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone please help!
    I'm replacing my cv axle and the new seal I got from the toyota dealer has a slightly smaller outer diameter than the old one and is a little loose in the transmission, will it tighten up once I insert the new axle?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No something is not right with that or they're left and right placement issues I'm not sure for this model but your lip seal that goes in the transmission usually is installed with the device that looks like a socket or around flat piece with a handle sticking out of it so you can tap it with a hammer or you can set the seal in the whole gently and use a brass rod commonly called a drift and the very small hammer to gently tap the seal squarely in place in the land that holds the seal which is generally in the transmission case or transaxle case as the case may be

3. Cody89

Cody89 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for getting back with me..I got the seals from toyota dealer and when I go to insert them into the transmission it does not grab the transmission at all??

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then the seal is too small to fit in the boar which is the transmission circle that it needs to go into You can move it side to side a few millimeter whatever It's too small well obviously you need the correct size You could take a tape measure quickly and measure the bore you're trying to fit the small seal into and convert that into millimeters just on the fly to get it close idea of what you're dealing with The one you have you're trying to install you should be able to look up and get the size of it so you have 18 mm and you need 22 could be a common size that comes to mind inToyota.