1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius Grinding Noise

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Shoegazer.andy98, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Shoegazer.andy98

Shoegazer.andy98 New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I recently bought a used 2001 Prius on OfferUp. It has 158,000 miles on it & only the coolant pump has been replaced. The seller told me he took it to Toyota and they couldn't figure out the noise.
    This grinding noise comes on when I shift into a gear (ex. From going to park to drive or vice versa) & mostly comes on during braking. It comes on when I Regen brake but sometimes if I brake hard (friction braking) it could come on.
    I have searched hours on forums saying it can be the inverter, the flywheel, the abs/brake pump. I don't know what it is, if someone could help me out i definitely would appreciate it. I don't want to go to Toyota for them to "fix the problem" then for them to have not fix it. I will be posting a link of what the noise sounds like. I recorded it from the outside changing gears.

2. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi There.
    I can’t imagine Toyota would not know what is the problem. Perhaps your seller just wasn’t being honest with you. Thankfully you didn’t pay much.
    My first guest is you have a CVT Transmission issue.
    I’m certain the guys here will be able to assist you.
    Good luck.

3. Shoegazer.andy98

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for your response! Fortunately I had a mechanic come and inspect it. It's the abs system that has been making that noise.

4. Sandy Meyers

Sandy Meyers Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So..... that’s interesting..... hopefully that’s less expensive to fix? Can the ABS Simply be disabled? Or perhaps the fuse be removed?
    Good to know.

5. Shoegazer.andy98

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly I'm not sure if the abs can be disabled, that's all he really told me.